Talk:Spanish Armada in Ireland
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Excellent work, Mr Shtove! Like the phots and maps especially. Jdorney 22:53, 9 July 2006 (UTC)
This page might need a short description of the condition of Ireland at this point. It reads as if the Lord Deputy simply had to give an order to round up the Spanish and it would be happen as if he were in England or France. As the English government in Ireland had scant control throughout most of the country, especially Ulster, most of the Spanish were captured or killed by Irish lords, either for the reward, or fear of reprisal, or simply the loot. These were the conditions of the time. For example, the Spaniards murdered by the Earl of Tyrconnell: this was the O'Donnell, father of Red Hugh - an English hostage at the time - who would later ally with the same Spanish fifteen years later at Kinsale. Cavort (talk) 10:27, 8 August 2008 (UTC)
- I think that's covered. The English had just taken control in Munster and Connacht, but Ulster was clearly beyond their control. It's very complicated - so good luck if you want to get in to all those details with a "short description"!
- The order is according to contemporary government reports. First news was of the sightings off Thomond in Munster - south west. Of course events became confused - the losses on the Girona in the north of the country happened a good while after the original landfall in the north west. Shtove (talk) 23:08, 28 July 2011 (UTC)
- Haven't heard that before - propaganda? Victorians were great at making stuff up to suit their prejudices.Shtove (talk) 13:51, 15 February 2015 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Spanish Armada in Ireland. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110928200443/http://www.jmr.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conJmrArticle.89/viewPage/4 to http://www.jmr.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conJmrArticle.89/viewPage/4
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.