From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Architecture (Rated C-class, High-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Architecture, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Architecture on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
 High  This article has been rated as High-importance on the project's importance scale.


While I added a little bit about stucco used as in place of 'siding', I think that this whole article needs to be redone, and stucco as an art material, and stucco as a siding need to be discussed in separate paragraphs. I am not an expert, and am reluctant to do more than add a few comments. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talkcontribs) 10 February 2005


I certainly agree with the comment above; in general, the article rambles on and repeats itself about plasters and cements without getting to the point in a timely manner. The different types should really be sectioned off and made clear. Radagast 12:27, 14 September 2005 (UTC)

Started an external links section Eybear 21:07, 6 January 2006 (UTC)

Stucco or Plaster; an art form[edit]

Philadelphia (in my opinion) is the best well thought out city when it comes to estitics and stone architecture. Lime is the primary element to stone buildings and considering what rock the stone is in the climate acts as the stones doctor if crasked or split. It actually is a self healing non-living entity. Questions and comments please to — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talkcontribs) 11 February 2006


I am looking for information on how to maintain my stucco house. Some say to paint it and some say not to. All seem to aggree that once painted it will continue to need painting. The other thing seems to be mending cracks. While a contractor mentioned some silicate, most seem to mention using a more stucco like substance. Another topic might be how to address "wounds" in the stucco from furnature movers and high power sprayers. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by (talk) 20:43, 4 March 2007 (UTC).

If the cracks are hairline, don't worry about them. If they're bigger, there is material made especially for repairing stucco cracks. Do not use silicone caulk. Some small cracking is normal for stucco and doesnt detract from its utility or value. If you paint it, I would suggest using an elastomer made especially for stucco.Copperminer 00:47, 29 May 2007 (UTC)CopperMiner

Painting stucco (or "white washing" it with cement) makes about as much sense as painting a sidewalk. Paint is cheap, but will deteriorate and peel within a couple years, meaning you'd have to paint every year or so to keep it looking decent. To add insult to injury, it is necessary to sandblast (a pressure washer is not be powerful enough) painted or white-washed stucco to fully remove the paint before applying a new layer of stucco (e.g. if you wanted to change the color or touch up the stucco). Paint also prevents moisture from escaping from the home, which can create conditions favorable to mold growth. AzzAz (talk) 21:31, 24 March 2009 (UTC)

Boring . . .[edit]

How dull is this article. No, don't remove anything! Just add some information about stucco being used in "modern" (1920s and 1920s) American architecture — also its use in Spanish colonial buildings, etc. Sorry, I can't do it myself — I just like to boss people around. Cheers. GeorgeLouis (talk) 18:34, 24 December 2007 (UTC)


Portland cement can last indefinitely without requiring maintenance. There are major issues with this sentence. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 21:53, 5 February 2010 (UTC)

Stucco, render or plaster?[edit]

To me the term "stucco" refers to the plastic moulding of all kinds of mortars. I looked it up in Henry, Alison; Stewart, John, eds. (2011). Practical building conservation. Mortars, plasters and renders. Farnham/Burlington: Ashgate Publishing. p. 99.  and there it says that the term 'stucco' is simply the italian word for 'plaster' (which it is, as I can say as a italian speaking person). Also the cited book says that the meaning nowadays is imprecise and the term should be avoided in preference for 'plaster' and 'render'. My idea now would be the following:

  • create an aricle about render, which describes external applications
  • keep the article stucco, saying that the term has been used and is used [page 114] to describe a wide range of decorative plasterwork or render.

--Greenadia06 (talk) 14:32, 9 February 2016 (UTC)

I think of "render" as a builder's term. The usage of the terms is certainly variable and complicated, and has changed over time. The articles try to explain this. Personally "stucco" does not refer "to the plastic moulding of all kinds of mortars" to me (do you mean plaster-like compounds? Mortars are very different). I think of it mainly as being external not internal. To me internal moulded plaster is "plasterwork", but it has been called stucco in English, mainly I think in the past. Johnbod (talk) 17:21, 9 February 2016 (UTC)
Yes, probably I mean plaster-like compounds by "mortars". I mean a mixture of binders, aggregates, water and - sometimes - filler, additives and admixtures and I think that I had a translation problem there, since I'm not a native speaker of English. Anyway I think that merging "plaster", "stucco" and "plasterwprk" would be a good idea! --Greenadia06 (talk) 10:49, 15 February 2016 (UTC)