Talk:Swinton, South Yorkshire
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
There's an accident waiting to happen on Church Street from the new Gate Inn traffic lights down towards the Cabin, where the middle lane is for traffic approaching the lights, but is always encroached by traffic coming away from the lights and passing parked vehicles outside the shops. These vehicles should give way as their lane is blocked but they dont, they just barge into the middle lane.
- Please stop posting speculative statements and things that are not specific to Swinton itself eg:
1. During the 80's and 90's many in Swinton didn't have cars as a result a thriving bus service was in operation. Since then and the railway station reopened the bus service as dwindled to a small operation compared to the mid 90's when competition was really fierce among operators.
What an appauling statement to make. Bus services were much better during the mid 1900's than towards the end of the century - ask anyone who lived through that period.
2. During 2004 and 2005 there was speculation that the Sheffield Supertram would be extended to Swinton utilising the Manvers Shuttle link to create a link from many parts of Sheffield to the job opportunities in the Manvers area. However the local transport body SYPTE in 2005 said this couldn't be achieved due to cost and would only be able to extend to Parkgate.
This is a statement which is not Swinton specific but affects all areas along the route. It has been rejected by Government and so even the part to Parkgate is now unlikely to ever happen.
3. Although many mistake Swinton for Swinton near Manchester. This Swinton has been in press quite a few times over that last 30 years and many for all the wrong reasons
Swinton near Manchester has a much worse reputation mainly because it's larger and next to Manchester which itself doesn't have the best of reputations. The English here leaves a lot to be desired also.
- More Swinton folk edit this thing? Who? lol If it makes a difference I'm a certain (very) long-haired stoner...
- There is actually a website somewhere with a load of stuff that could be added here. I can't remember what it's called but I know the guys who made it used to do a lot around the village, like getting the canal cleaned up and the like (lasted long eh?). For the record I haven't edited this page, but I'm still interested to find out who it is that lives in this backwards dive that actually has the intellect to do such things. Peace. ElectricWizard 0 (talk) 16:31, 25 January 2011 (UTC)
Whoever did the pubs left out the Travellers, the Bridge and The Vic too. I can't remember If it's Victoria Inn or Club so I'll check it later and update.ElectricWizard 0 (talk) 16:38, 25 January 2011 (UTC)
The comment(s) below were originally left at several discussions in past years, these subpages are now deprecated. The comments may be irrelevant or outdated; if so, please feel free to remove this section., and are posted here for posterity. Following
Last edited at 19:55, 10 May 2008 (UTC). Substituted at 07:27, 30 April 2016 (UTC)