Talk:Video game industry
|WikiProject Video games||(Rated B-class, Top-importance)|
|WikiProject Business||(Rated B-class, Mid-importance)|
- I don't read German. Care to give us the gist of it? Or, you could even transcribe it yourself, assuming you have a pretty good grasp of German (which it seems you do). — Frεcklεfσσt | Talk 16:05, 21 January 2014 (UTC)
replace the word "Industry"
- If you look at how the video game business is referred to in reliable sources, it is nearly always characterized as the "video game industry." Therefore, we go with the reliable sources. Indrian (talk) 14:16, 17 March 2014 (UTC)
- same naming format as "Software industry" --126.96.36.199 (talk) 04:52, 7 February 2017 (UTC)
I think there should be a list with the value of the market, by year.
in billions of $US:
- 2012: 63 -  or 78.8 (maybe this one includes the hardware (consoles) too) Gartner.com,
- 2011: 56 - 
- 2009: 379.3 million units sold - TG Daily, February 3, 2010
- 2007: 41.9 - Ars Technica, June 18, 2008
- 2006: 31.6 - Ars Technica, June 18, 2008
- 2005: 27.6 - Ars Technica, June 18, 2008
- 2004: 26.3 - Ars Technica, June 18, 2008
- 2003: 23.3 - Ars Technica, June 18, 2008 or 18.2 - 
- 2002: 20.7 - ZDNet, September 9, 2004 or 21.8 - Ars Technica, June 18, 2008 - Ars Technica, August 30, 2007
- 1999: 16 (of which 3.2 is piracy)- ZDNet, August 7, 1999
- The US market
Gaming had some major growth, but much of it was in the past, when the industry surged from $2.6 billion in sales to $7 billion between 1996 and 2000. Ars Technica, August 30, 2007
In 1996, the U.S. entertainment software industry accounted for a modest 74.1 million units sold and $2.6 billion in sales revenue. Sixteen years later, video game companies sold 188 million units, leading to an astounding $14.8 billion in software revenue and $20.77 billion overall. 
- In-game advertising
In-game advertising generated $80 million in 2006 - Ars Technica, 23 June 2007
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 3 external links on Video game industry. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20111029232528/http://www.next-gen.biz:80/features/30-defining-moments-gaming to http://www.next-gen.biz/features/30-defining-moments-gaming
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20110125022802/http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/278-call-of-duty-black-ops-sets-record-for-activision to http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/278-call-of-duty-black-ops-sets-record-for-activision
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20080107182604/http://www.eurocom.co.uk/content/view/102/81/ to http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.