|Baltimore Orioles – No. 66|
|Born: July 22, 1994|
|September 20, 2017, for the Baltimore Orioles|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Earned run average||5.56|
Scott graduated from Howland High School in 2012. He then played college baseball at Notre Dame College in 2013 and Howard College in 2014. He was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the sixth round of the 2014 Major League Baseball draft.
After signing, Scott made his professional debut with the Gulf Coast Orioles and spent the whole season there, going 1-5 with a 6.26 ERA in ten games (eight starts). In 2015, Scott pitched for both the Aberdeen IronBirds and Delmarva Shorebirds, where he posted a combined 4-3 record and 3.83 ERA in 42.1 innings ptiched between the two clubs. After the season, he pitched in the Arizona Fall League. Scott spent 2016 with both the Frederick Keys and the Bowie Baysox, where he went 5-4 with a 4.76 ERA in 43 relief appearances between the two teams. In 2017, he played with Bowie where he compiled a 0-2 record and 2.22 ERA in 24 starts before being called up to the major leagues on September 17, 2017. Scott made two appearances for Baltimore for the season.
Scott worked regular one-inning stints for the Orioles during spring season, creating speculation that the Orioles No. 6 prospect could pitch his way onto the major league roster early. The plan, however, was for Scott to pitch three-inning stints as a starter in five-man rotation for theNorfolk Tides. Orioles manager Buck Showalter says of the decision:
You kind of ask yourself: ‘Would you rather him pitch two or three innings an outing here or sit three days or pitch him every other day and keep the ball in his hand?’ That's what we're doing — trying to keep him on the mound and keep him around a lot of people.
Scott's been learning control on his fast ball, while developing his slider as an out pitch. As Schowalter notes, "he's not tripping that 100 [mph] or anything. It's more about control of himself as much as the baseball." Of pulling back on the velocity of his "high-90s" fastball in favor of location, Scott says:
Velo is always nice, but velo with a located pitch is a lot better. People can hit velo . . When you have a well-located pitch, it's harder to hit than 'Here, try to hit this. If you don't know where it's going, there's a higher chance they can hit it. I'm just taking it in and throwing good strikes instead of trying to blow smoke past them and not know where it's going.
After pitching out of the bullpen in Triple-A Norfolk's opening game on April 6, 2018, Scott was called up again on April 8, 2018 to join the Orioles bullpen — just as Jimmy Yacabonis was optioned to Norfolk. Showalter said on Scott's return:
He's off to a good start. He had a good spring throwing the ball over the plate. We'll see what happens up here. It's tough gripping the ball but it's good to see him get off to a great start.
Scott was optioned back to Norfolk on April 9, after pitching 1.2 innings against the Yankees the day before — when he recorded five outs. He was recalled on April 20 prior to a Friday game against the Cleveland Indians. Infielder Engelb Vielma was optioned back to Norfolk in a corresponding move. Scott pitched two scoreless innings against the Indians the next day before being optioned once again on April 28. Baltimore recalled him on May 9. The up/down process continued on June 9th when the O's sent Scott down only to recall him on June 15th.
In 53 appearances in the season, Scott worked in 53 1⁄3 innings, striking out 76 in the process.
- "Tanner Scott worked for his chance - News, Sports, Jobs - Tribune Chronicle". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Baltimore adds lefty Scott in sixth round". Major League Baseball. Retrieved March 27, 2016.
- Baltimore Sun (February 17, 2016). "Swift-climbing Orioles lefty prospect Tanner Scott opening eyes around baseball". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved March 27, 2016.
- "Steve Melewski: In AFL, Dylan Bundy and Tanner Scott show their stuff and future promise". MASNsports. Retrieved March 27, 2016.
- "Tanner Scott Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved May 30, 2018.
- "O's Tanner Scott impresses at Fall Stars Game". MLB.com. Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- Meoli, Jon. "Orioles' lefty Tanner Scott being used traditionally in spring, but still ticketed for starter role in minors". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- Meoli, Jon. "Orioles notes: Chris Davis sitting Sunday with illness; Tanner Scott added to bullpen". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Orioles' Tanner Scott: Heads back to minors". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- "Orioles' Tanner Scott: Called up from Norfolk". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2018-04-22.
- "Tribe's Clevinger shuts out O's | vindy.com". www.vindy.com. Retrieved 2018-04-22.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference (Minors)