Theodore Ward Barrow
Theodore Barrow, also known as Ted Barrow, is an American art historian, writer, skateboarding critic, social media persona, lecturer, skateboarder, and professor based in New York City.
Barrow ran a popular satirical Instagram account about skateboarding and culture: @feedback_ts. Barrow built his following critiquing submitted video clips from skaters skating in skate parks. Feedback TS was no longer accepting clips but has returned to his critiques, also posting on his stories about works of art. @feedback_ts was terminated by Instagram in late 2020.
In addition to posting his writing and thoughts on instagram via the Feedback TS account, Barrow writes about a range of topics including skateboarding history, art history, and the relationship between the two. Barrow often uses the stories feature in Instagram to reach his audience. Barrow has contributed writing to a variety of publications including The New York Times, Jenkem, Skateism, Transworld Skateboarding, Smithsonian Associates, Bucknell University Press, and the Boscobel House.
One avenue of Barrow's critical discourse analyzes the changing use of skateparks, highlighting a generational shift between skateboarders raised on the pre-built terrain of skateparks and those raised before the proliferation of skateparks. Barrow explains that "skateparks have always been designed to contain an activity that is about roaming, and often dangerous, or at least unlawful trespassing... As skateparks themselves have proliferated, they have become more central to that idea of performance, both fashionable and athletic”
In 2019, the Brooklyn Patch reached out to Barrow for his opinions on the Tompkins Square Park turfing controversy. Also in 2019, Barrow spoke at the Pushing Boarder conference in Malmö during the Tech Will Save Us panel. Additionally, Barrow moderated a panel titled: What We Do is Secret: The Challenge of Writing about Skateboarding, at the 2018 Pushing Boarders conference held in London.
- Garcia-Vasquez, Marina (14 January 2016). "How a Freewheeling Skater Became an Art Historian". Vice.
- "MEET THE INSTAGRAM SKATE CRITIC, TED BARROW". Jenkem Magazine. 2017-09-27. Retrieved 2019-10-22.
- Donato, Jill Di. "Sartorial Skater Critiques More Than Footage on This Instagram Account". Culture Trip. Retrieved 2019-10-22.
- "Theodore Barrow | The Cooper Union". cooper.edu.
- "Interview With Ted Barrow (AKA @Feedback_TS)". TransWorld SKATEboarding. Transworld. 14 March 2018.
- "Theodore Barrow at Baruch College - RateMyProfessors.com". www.ratemyprofessors.com.
- "Ted Barrow". www.thinkolio.org.
- Ihaza, Jeff (2018-04-07). "Skateboarders Won". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-10-22.
- "Hudson River Museum names Theodore Ward Barrow as Assistant Curator". artdaily.cc. Retrieved 2019-10-24.
- Weiss, Daniel; Barrow, Theodore; Lyons, Eve (2017-11-11). "Eternal Youth in Tompkins Square Park". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-10-24.
- "StrangeLove Skateboards Sean Cliver Feedback 8.25 Deck". Krudco. Skateshop. Retrieved 2019-10-24.
- "HOT TAKE: SKATEBOARDING IS NOT ART". Jenkem Magazine. 2019-01-07. Retrieved 2019-10-22.
- "From Brooklyn to the Olympics, skate parks are booming all around the world". The Independent. 2018-05-10. Retrieved 2019-10-24.
- Gilpin, Caroline Crosson (2018-04-10). "Teaching Activities for: 'Skateboarders Won'". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-10-24.
- "Tompkins Square Park Turf War Pits Skateboarders Against City". East Village, NY Patch. 2019-07-02. Retrieved 2019-10-24.
- "Speakers 2019". Pushing Boarders. Retrieved 2019-10-24.
- Coughlin-Bogue, Tobias (2018-06-12). "The First Academic Conference on Skateboarding Proved Skaters Are Nerds". Vice. Retrieved 2019-10-24.