This article may need to be rewritten to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (February 2020)
Teratophilia is classified as a paraphilia. Rather than view the condition as a kink, defenders of teratophilia believe it allows people to see beauty outside of societal standards. Among other things, it has been suggested that monsters can function as an escapist fantasy for some women, since the monster is able to embody masculine attributes without presenting itself as a man, which may embody trauma and terror in extreme cases, or aggravating patriarchal arrangements in the least.
In 2017, The Amphibian Man, the monster from The Shape of Water became popular. The Amphibian Man is regarded as one of the more gentle monsters. The reaction to the creature has led to attempts by some dildo manufacturers to recreate his genitalia.
The symbiote from Venom has gained substantial traction after the film's release in 2018. In 2019, the Venom fandom received some media attention after they took a stance against people who are attracted to Ted Bundy. (That is an example of a paraphilia called hybristophilia.) The conflict has gotten so much traction online that even Marvel Comics' Venom writer Donny Cates has weighed in.
Monster erotica and Bigfoot erotica have entered the general consciousness after many news outlets, including CNN and BBC, published an article about an incident that happened on Twitter. Virginia Democratic Congressional 2018 candidate Leslie Cockburn tweeted about her opponent Denver Riggleman being a devotee of bigfoot erotica. Cockburn used picture of naked Bigfoot from Riggleman's Instagram as a proof. Riggleman denied all the accusations. Dr. Chuck Tingle, two time Hugo award finalist, wrote a story about the incident, entitled Don't Vote for Virginia Congressional Hopeful Denber Wiggleman Because He Is Full of Hate, Not Because Bigfoot Makes Him Hard. Some popular bigfoot erotica titles include Cum for Bigfoot; Boffing Bigfoot; Savage Love; Bigfoot Did Me from Behind and I Liked It; The Butt Files - The Case of Bigfoot's Weiner; and Seduced by Bigfoot and Ravaged by the Yeti: The Secret Adventures of a Fertile Housewife.
- Schulz, Jaroslav. Řecko - Český slovník. Vyšehrad, spol. s. r. o, Praha 1, Bartolomějská, 1998, p. 519 and 555, ISBN 80-7021-285-3.
- Sarsam, Raghad Issa. Paraphilia in Iraq: a general sketch A study in the sex clinic, Al – Kindy Col Med; Vol. 9 No. 1, p.65
- 'Teratophilia', kinkly.com, Retrieved 25 March 2019
- Anzaldua, Saraliza. Teratophilia: An Inquiry into Monster Erotica and the Feminine Psyche, National Taiwan University, 2015
- 'People Want to Fuck the Clown from IT', vice.com, Sep 21 2017, Luke Winkie, Retrieved 25 March 2019
- 'Way Too Many People Want to Bone the Clown from It', gizmodo.au, Sep 23 2017, Amanda Yeo, Retrieved 25 March 2019
- 'The Shape of Water’ Dildo: We Just Spoke With the Creator of the Amphibian Man-Inspired Sex Toy', thewrap.com, Feb 10 2018, Tony Maglio, Retrieved 25 March 2019
- 'There’s a dildo inspired by the fishman in ‘The Shape of Water’—and it’s already sold out', dailydot.com, Feb 09 2018, Sarah Weber, Retrieved 25 March 2019
- 'Venom Stans Are Fighting People Who Are Thirsty for Ted Bundy', screenrant.com, Jan 30 2019, Molly Freeman, Retrieved 25 March 2019
- 'There’s a Vicious Feud Going On Between Venom Fans and Ted Bundy Fans', wegotthiscovered.com, Jan 2019, David James, Retrieved 25 March 2019
- 'Bigfoot erotica' row turns Virginia congressional race ugly', bbc.com, Jul 31 2018, Retrieved 25 March 2019
- 'Bigfoot erotica' takes center stage in Virginia congressional race, cnn.com, Jul 30 2018, Eli Watkins, Retrieved 25 March 2019
- 'short stories', chucktingle.com, Retrieved 25 March 2019
- 'MONSTER PORN: Amazon Cracks Down On America’s Latest Sex Fantasy', businessinsider.com, Dec 21 2013, Eric Spitznagel, Retrieved 25 March 2019
- 'Author of Bigfoot erotica wins Virginia congressional race', latimes.com, NOV 07 2018, Michael Schaub, Retrieved 25 March 2019