Terry Hayes (born 8 October 1951) is an English-born Australian screenwriter, producer and author best known for his work with the Kennedy Miller film production house and his debut novel I Am Pilgrim.
Terry was married in 1999 and has one son Connor.
After periods spent as an investigative reporter, columnist and radio show host, Hayes met director George Miller when he did the novelisation of the script to Mad Max (1979). He and Miller got on well and the director subsequently hired Hayes to help on the script for Mad Max 2 (1981).
Hayes subsequently became an in-house writer for Kennedy Miller, working on the scripts for all their subsequent mini-series. Further work included a script for Dead Calm in 1989. He wrote Bangkok Hilton specifically as a vehicle for Nicole Kidman.
Hayes moved to Hollywood. His work includes an unused screenplay for Planet of the Apes, titled Return of the Apes in 1994.
Hayes' debut novel, I Am Pilgrim was published by Transworld Publishers on 18 July 2013. That same month, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer acquired the film rights to the novel with Hayes attached to adapt it into a screenplay. His second novel entitled The Year of the Locust was planned for release in 2016, but has yet to be released. Publish dates vary from 2020 to 2045.
|1981||Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior||Screenplay by||Co-wrote with George Miller & Brian Hannant|
|1985||Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome||Written by, co-producer||Co-wrote with George Miller|
|1987||The Year My Voice Broke||Producer|
|1988||The Clean Machine||Written by, producer||Co-wrote with Ken Cameron and Richard Mortlock|
|The Riddle of the Stinson||Producer|
|Fragments of War: The Story of Damien Parer||Producer|
|1989||Dead Calm||Screenplay by, producer|
|1993||Cliffhanger||Uncredited script work|
|1996||Mr. Reliable||Written by, producer||Co-wrote with Don Catchlove|
|1997||Amy||The producers wish to thank|
|1999||Payback||Screenplay by||Co-wrote with Brian Helgeland|
|2000||Vertical Limit||Screenplay by||Co-wrote screenplay with Robert King, based on a story by Robert King|
|2001||From Hell||Screenplay by||Co-wrote with Rafael Yglesias|
|2002||Reign of Fire||Uncredited script work|
|2005||Flightplan||Uncredited script work|
- The Dismissal (1983) (TV mini-series)
- Bodyline (1984) (TV mini-series)
- The Cowra Breakout (1984) (TV mini-series) - producer only
- Vietnam (1987) (TV mini-series) - also producer
- Dirtwater Dynasty (1988) (TV mini-series) - also producer
- Bangkok Hilton (1989) (TV mini-series) - also producer
- "Terry Hayes: interview | The Bookseller". www.thebookseller.com. Retrieved 2019-01-08.
- David Stratton, The Avocado Plantation: Boom and Bust in the Australian Film Industry, Pan MacMillan, 1990 p82
- "TERRY TALKS ABOUT THE BALLYHOO BUT THE BIG BUCKS ARE TABOO". The Canberra Times. 59 (18, 192). Australian Capital Territory, Australia. 21 July 1985. p. 5 (GOOD WEEKEND). Retrieved 28 September 2020 – via National Library of Australia.
- Scott Murray, "Terry Hayes: Interweaving the Fabric", Cinema Papers, November 1989 p25-29, 76
- "BANGKOK HILTON". The Canberra Times. 64 (19, 745). Australian Capital Territory, Australia. 30 October 1989. p. 31. Retrieved 28 September 2020 – via National Library of Australia.
- Kaye, Don (2014-07-01). "Human See, Human Do: A Complete History of 'Planet of the Apes'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2019-01-08.
- "Horror Writers Association - Past Bram Stoker Award Nominees & Winners". www.horror.org. Retrieved 2019-01-08.
- "MGM Acquires Terry Hayes Thriller 'I Am Pilgrim'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Media Corporation. 17 July 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- Cooper, Elise (7 June 2014). "Q&A With Terry Hayes". Crimespree Magazine. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- Hayes, Terry. "The Year of the Locust". www.penguin.co.uk.
- Hayes, Terry (2 June 2015). The Year of the Locust: A Thriller. ISBN 978-1439177754.