Terry Hayes (born 8 October 1951) is an English-born Australian screenwriter, producer and author best known for his work with the Kennedy Miller film production house and his debut novel I Am Pilgrim.
Born in Sussex, England, Hayes moved to Australia at the age of 5. He began his career as a journalist, working as the US correspondent for the Australian newspaper The Sydney Morning Herald.  After periods spent as an investigative reporter, columnist and radio show host, Hayes met director George Miller when he did the novelisation of the script to Mad Max (1979). He and Miller got on well and the director subsequently hired Hayes to help on the script for Mad Max 2 (1981). Hayes subsequently moved to Hollywood, becoming an in-house writer for Kennedy Miller, working on the scripts for all their subsequent mini-series. Further work included a script for Dead Calm in 1989  and an unused screenplay for Planet of the Apes, titled Return of the Apes in 1994. 
Hayes' debut novel, I Am Pilgrim was published by Transworld Publishers on 18 July 2013. That same month, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer acquired the film rights to the novel with Hayes attached to adapt it into a screenplay. His second novel entitled The Year of the Locust is planned for release in 2019.
- Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) - co-script
- The Dismissal (1983) (TV mini-series)
- Bodyline (1984) (TV mini-series)
- The Cowra Breakout (1984) (TV mini-series) - producer only
- Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985) - also producer
- The Riddle of the Stinson (1987) (TV movie) - producer only
- The Year My Voice Broke (1987) - producer only
- Vietnam (1987) (TV mini-series) - also producer
- Dirtwater Dynasty (1988) (TV mini-series) - also producer
- The Clean Machine (1988) (TV movie) - also producer
- Fragments of War: The Story of Damien Parer (1988) (TV movie) - producer only
- Dead Calm (1989) - also producer
- Bangkok Hilton (1989) (TV mini-series) - also producer
- Flirting (1991) - producer only
- Mr. Reliable (1996) - also producer
- Payback (1999)
- Vertical Limit (2000)
- From Hell (2001)
- I Am Pilgrim (2013)
- The Year of the Locust (2019)
- "Terry Hayes: interview | The Bookseller". www.thebookseller.com. Retrieved 2019-01-08.
- David Stratton, The Avocado Plantation: Boom and Bust in the Australian Film Industry, Pan MacMillan, 1990 p82
- Scott Murray, "Terry Hayes: Interweaving the Fabric", Cinema Papers, November 1989 p25-29, 76
- Kaye, Don; Kaye, Don (2014-07-01). "Human See, Human Do: A Complete History of 'Planet of the Apes'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2019-01-08.
- "Horror Writers Association - Past Bram Stoker Award Nominees & Winners". www.horror.org. Retrieved 2019-01-08.
- "MGM Acquires Terry Hayes Thriller 'I Am Pilgrim'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Media Corporation. 17 July 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- Cooper, Elise (7 June 2014). "Q&A With Terry Hayes". Crimespree Magazine. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
|This biographical article related to film in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|