The Acacia Strain
|The Acacia Strain|
The Acacia Strain live in Saarbrücken in 2010
|Origin||Chicopee, Massachusetts, U.S.|
|Labels||Rise, Prosthetic, Devil's Head|
The Acacia Strain is an American deathcore band from Chicopee, Massachusetts formed in 2001. The band has gone through several lineup changes and vocalist Vincent Bennett is the only current original member. The Acacia Strain is currently signed to Rise Records.
Originally founded in 2001, the band itself has undergone numerous changes in the member line-up. To date they have released seven studio albums, as well as two split albums: one with Loyal to the Grave (on which they covered the Slayer song "Seasons in the Abyss") and another with This or the Apocalypse, War from a Harlots Mouth, Fact, and Aggressive Dogs. The band has worked with acclaimed producers Adam Dutkiewicz and Chris "Zeuss" Harris.
In April 17, 2012, it was announced that The Acacia Strain had signed to Rise Records, announcing plans for a new album in October 2012.
On April 25, 2012, a new song, titled "Servant in the Place of Truth", was released digitally, and at the time was also in anticipation of their upcoming album, which will be released in the fall.
On July 18, 2012, The Acacia Strain announced the title of their new upcoming album, Death Is the Only Mortal. It was released on October 9, 2012.
On August 10, 2012, The band announced the track listing for Death Is the Only Mortal and released the album art via their Facebook page. However, the single "Servant in the Place of Truth" is not listed on the album. Guitarist Daniel "DL" Laskiewicz later confirmed that it was just a non-album single.
On May 18, 2013, Daniel "DL" Laskiewicz announced via his Facebook page that The Acacia Strain had moved on without him and that he was no longer a part of the band.
On June 4, 2013, the band announced that they had introduced two new full-time guitarists to join their line-up, Devin Shidaker (formerly of Oceano) and Richard Gomez (formerly of Molotov Solution).
On August 12[when?], the band revealed the upcoming title of the album to be Coma Witch, which is set for release on October 14[when?]. The band also released the music video for the first single of the album, "Cauterizer".
On May 23, 2015, The Acacia Strain announced on their Facebook page that they will appear on The Summer Slaughter Tour 2015, and that their bassist Jack Strong is stepping down and will be replaced by their friend Griffin Landa.
In early 2016, prior to the start of the writing process for their newest record, guitarist Rich Gomez left the band to pursue a career in the booming fast food industry, and currently works at the Mexican restaurant "Chipotle" in Sacramento, California. Upon Rich's exit into the booming field of the culinary arts, he was replaced by Tom "The Hammer" Smith, Jr., son of famed guitar builder Tom Smith, of Tom Smith guitars. Tom's playing style has been described as "a mix of Converge and the theme from 'The Office'." Some fans have described The Hammer as "one of the baldest men we've ever seen."[who?]
Musical style and themes
AllMusic characterizes the band's musical style as "utiliz[ing] a bone-crushing rhythm section, apocalyptic samples, and a unique triple-guitar assault to deliver their signature blend of hardcore punk, noise, death metal and doom metal." The site's review of Wormwood elaborates on the band's sound as "an inelegant and unstoppable juggernaut fueled by memories of the unchecked aggression unleashed on the world by the likes of Sepultura and Pantera."
The band's former bassist, Jack Strong, describes their music as "hardcore-influenced metal", while lead vocalist Vincent Bennett has rejected the deathcore label, going on record to say that "deathcore is the new nu-metal. [...] It sucks. And if anyone calls us 'deathcore' then I might do something very bad to them."
Written by lead vocalist Vincent Bennett, the band's lyrics generally center around misanthropy and nihilism. Bennett employs misogynistic and sexually deviant imagery in his lyrics, but usually only as metaphors to help get his points across while keeping the songs' overall meanings open for interpretation.
Musical inspirations for the band include acts such as Down, Bad Religion, Black Flag, Sleep, Sick of it All, Madball, Minor Threat, Agnostic Front, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, At The Gates, Pantera, Sepultura, The Black Dahlia Murder, Motörhead, Slayer, Exodus, Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains, Cattle Decapitation, Anal Cunt & Despised Icon.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|...And Life Is Very Long||
|The Dead Walk||
|Death Is the Only Mortal||
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- Money for Nothing (2013)
- Above/Below (2013)
- The Depression Sessions with Thy Art Is Murder and Fit for an Autopsy (2016)
- "Servant In the Place of Truth" (2012)
- 2001 Demo (2001)
- The Most Known Unknown (2010)
- "Smoke Ya Later" (2004)
- "3750" (2005)
- "Angry Mob Justice" (2006)
- "Skynet" (2009)
- "The Hills Have Eyes" (2010)
- "The Impaler" (2011)
- "Cauterizer" (2014)
- "Send Help" (2015)
- To Catch a Predatour- The Acacia Strain, The Red Chord, Terror, Gaza, The Contortionist
- Sweat Fest 2008- Parkway Drive, A Day to Remember, Suicide Silence, The Acacia Strain, Confession
- Crashing Through the Holidays- The Acacia Strain, Despised Icon, Full Blown Chaos, The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza
- God Damn Tour- The Acacia Strain, Terror, Stray from the Path, Harms Way
- Australian 2011 Tour- Every Time I Die, The Acacia Strain, The Word Alive
- The Cool Tour- As I Lay Dying, Underoath, Between the Buried and Me, Blessthefall, The Acacia Strain, Architects, Cancer Bats, War of Ages
- Warped Tour 2011
- Welcome to Hell Tour- Whitechapel, Veil of Maya, The Acacia Strain, Chelsea Grin, I Declare War
- UK 2012 Tour- Architects, Deez Nuts, Bury Tomorrow, The Acacia Strain
- Scream it Like you Mean It 2012- Attack Attack, We Came as Romans, The Acacia Strain, Abandon All Ships, Oceano, Impending Doom, Close to Home, The Chariot, Texas in July, For All Those Sleeping, Volumes, Secrets, Hands like Houses, Glass Cloud, At the Skylines
- Death is the only Mortal Tour- The Acacia Strain, Cruel Hand, I Declare War, Fit For an Autopsy, No Bragging Rights
- All in Merch Tour- The Acacia Strain, Veil of Maya, Upon a Burning Body, Volumes, Twitch No Tongues
- Resolution CD Release Tour- Lamb of God, The Acacia Strain, Too Late The Hero
- Hell on Earth- Unearth, Shadows Fall, The Acacia Strain, War of Ages, Pay No Respect
- No Way Out Tour- The Acacia Strain, Within The Ruins, Xibalba, Fit For An Autopsy, American Me
- The Divinity of Purpose 2013- Hatebreed, Shadows Fall, The Acacia Strain, Battlecross
- Spring 2013 USA Tour-Every Time I Die, The Acacia Strain, Vanna, Hundredth
- All-Stars Tour 2014- I See Stars, The Acacia Strain, Like Moths to Flames, Slaves, Mutrix, Betraying the Martyrs, Palisades, Sworn In, Upon this Dawning, Kublai Khan, Sylar, Handed to the Thousands
- Mini Tour- The Acacia Strain, The Plot in You, Cane Hill
- Emmure vs The Acacia Strain- Emmure, The Acacia Strain, Fit For A King, Kublai Khan, Sylar
- Out of Control Tour- The Ghost Inside, The Acacia Strain, Gideon, In Hearts Wake
- Summer Slaughter 2015- Arch Enemy, Born of Osiris, Veil of Maya, The Acacia Strain, Cattle Decapitation, Beyond Creation
- Tune Low, Die Slow- The Acacia Strain, Counterparts, Fit For an Autopsy, Kublai Khan
- Metal Alliance Tour- Dying Fetus, The Acacia Strain, Jungle Rot, Black Crown Initiate
- Common Vision Tour- The Acacia Strain, Oceano, Knocked Loose, To the Wind, Culture Killer
- "The Acacia Strain". MusicMight. Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- "The Acacia Strain". MixPod. Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- "Unearth Frontman Is 'Excited' About Working with Producer Adam Dutkiewicz Again". Blabbermouth.net. 2008-04-24. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "Official website". Prosthetic Records. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "The Acacia Strain's 'The Most Known Unknown' DVD Lands on Billboard Chart". Blabbermouth.net. 2010-02-24. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- The Acacia Strain at Billboard.com
- "THE ACACIA STRAIN To Release 'Death Is The Only Mortal'". Blabbermouth.net. 2012-07-18. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- "Track listing and album cover for Death is the Only Mortal". Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "The Acacia Strain: 'Victims Of The Cave' Lyric Video Released - Blabbermouth.net". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. Retrieved 22 March 2015.
- "The Acacia Strain Van Accident: Group Crashes Outside of Los Angeles". Noisecreep. Retrieved 22 March 2015.
- "Daniel DL Laskiewicz". Facebook. Retrieved 22 March 2015.
- "NEWS: The Acacia Strain unveil new guitarists Devin Shidaker and Rich Gomez". Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "THE ACACIA STRAIN "Cauterize" music video". Metal Injection. August 12, 2014. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- The Acacia Strain. "Post from 22 May 2015". Facebook. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
We will miss [Jack Strong] a ton and wish him the best with his future endeavors.
- Monger, James Christopher. "The Acacia Strain". Allmusic. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- Heaney, Gregory. "Wormwood - The Acacia Strain". Allmusic. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "The Acacia Strain Is My Favorite Band [W/ Interview]". MetalSucks. 2011-02-28. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- Bee Roth, David (2008-12-30). "Exclusive Interview with The Acacia Strain's Vincent Bennett". MetalSucks. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "The Acacia Strain - 2009 Interview with Vincent Bennett". hardtimes.ca. 2009-03-28. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "Interview with Vincent Bennett of The Acacia Strain". Sick Drummer Magazine. 2009-05-15. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "The Acacia Strain Interview". Driven Far Off. 2006-05-26. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "The Acacia Strain – Chart History: Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "The Acacia Strain – Chart History: Heatseekers Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "The Acacia Strain – Chart History: Independent Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "The Acacia Strain – Chart History: Top Rock Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "The Acacia Strain – Chart History: Hard Rock Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 29 December 2013.