The American College of Financial Services
|The American College of Life Underwriters|
|Type||Private distance learning university|
|President||Todd Schoon, Interim President|
The American College of Financial Services (also known as The American College) is a nonprofit private educational institution located in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. It offers several professional certifications, two types of master's degrees and a PhD degree. Annually, The American College educates approximately 40,000 students, mainly through distance education.
The institution was founded as The American College of Life Underwriters in 1927 by Solomon S. Huebner of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. Huebner was a professional involved in the development of economic theory. His theory of human life value is used in the field of insurance. It was his vision for a college-level professional education program for insurance agents that led to the creation of The American College.
Today The College offers professional training to all types of financial practitioners. When the institution began, programs focused exclusively on providing education to life insurance professionals. The Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) designation was the first credential offered by The College. Today The College provides training for the Certified Financial Planner (CFP) exam, The Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC) designation, and the Master of Science in Financial Services (MSFS) master's degree.
Twenty full-time faculty members and financial experts work at the campus.
In 2003, The American College stepped away from a long-standing partnership with the Society of Financial Services Professionals, which historically had been the de facto alumni association for The College, and instead created its own alumni association.
- Alfred W. Redmer, Jr., Maryland politician.
- The American College. 2012. "Academics".
- Stone, Mildred F. 1960. The Teacher Who Changed an Industry. Homewood, IL: Richard D. Irwin, Inc. p. 8.
- Baird, John. 1997. The Power of One. Bryn Mawr, PA: The American College Press. p. ix.
- The American College. 2012. "Industry Recognized Faculty".
- Alumni React To The American Colleges New Alumni Association
- Richard Ilgenfritz, "Akiba to head to American College Site" The Main Line Times, (Volume 77, No. 28, July 12, 2007 - July 18, 2007) p. 1-2.