The World (Coos Bay)
(as The Coast Mail)
|Headquarters||350 Commercial St.
Coos Bay, OR 97420
The World is a daily newspaper in Coos Bay, Oregon, United States. From its office on Commercial Avenue in downtown Coos Bay, The World serves Oregon's South Coast, including the cities of Coos Bay, North Bend, Reedsport, Bandon, Lakeside, Coquille and Myrtle Point. The newspaper's circulation is 5,500 Monday–Thursday and 6,500 on Saturdays. It is the largest newspaper on the Oregon coast by circulation.
The World was first published in 1878 as The Coast Mail. During the first half of the 20th century, many name changes and mergers took place. Eventually, owner/publisher Sheldon F. Sackett changed the newspaper's name to The World in the 1960s. Sackett owned several media outlets including KISN, a radio station in Portland. His heirs sold The World to Scripps League Newspapers in 1973. Scripps League Newspapers was acquired by Pulitzer in 1996; Lee Enterprises acquired Pulitzer in 2005.
Southwestern Oregon Publishing Company purchased the Bandon Western World in 2003 and the Reedsport Umpqua Post in 2004. Both weeklies are printed at The World in Coos Bay.[not in citation given]
In 2015, The World launched a new weekly newspaper, the Coquille Valley Courant, which serves the Coquille Valley area, including Coquille, Myrtle Point, Powers and surrounding towns. . The Courant ended publication on December 29, 2015 
The World won 15 awards in the 2014 Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association 2014 Better Newspaper Contest, including first place statewide for Best Online Coverage of Breaking News, beating both The Oregonian and the (Medford) Mail Tribune.
Other awards in The World's circulation category included second place for best editorial, first place for best educational coverage, first place for enterprise reporting, first place for best lifestyle coverage, third place for best sports story, second place for best writing, second place for Page One design, first and second place for best photo essay, second place for best sports photo, first place for best multimedia element, first place for best overall website and second place for best web design.
- "The World". Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- Changes at the helms (editorial). July 13, 1973. The Bulletin (Bend, Oregon), p. 4.
- Times Wire Services (May 7, 1996). "Pulitzer to Purchase Scripps Newspapers". Los Angeles Times.
- Bandon Western World (website) March 16, 2015. Bandon Western World (Bandon, Oregon)
- The Umpqua Post March 16, 2015. The Umpqua Post (Reedsport, Oregon)
- "Contact Us". The World. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- Coquille Valley Courant (website) March 16, 2015. Coquille Valley Courant (Coquille, Oregon)
- More changes coming with The World (editorial). Jan. 17, 2015. The World (Coos Bay, Oregon)
- The World wins 15 awards in statewide media contest (article). July 18, 2014. The World (Coos Bay, Oregon)