The Iron Behind the Velvet
|The Iron Behind The Velvet|
|Studio album by Christy Moore|
|Producer||Christy Moore, Dónal Lunny, Brian Masterson|
|Christy Moore chronology|
The Iron Behind the Velvet is an album recorded by Christy Moore in 1978, after the first breakup of Planxty. It was produced jointly by Brian Masterson and Moore, and recorded and mixed at Lombard and Keystone Studios, Dublin.
It features his brother Barry Moore (Luka Bloom) on guitar & vocals, as well as Planxty's Andy Irvine on mandolin, bouzouki, vocals and more. Also appearing are Noel Hill on concertinas, Tony Linnane on fiddle, Gabriel McKeon on Uilleann pipes, Jimmy Faulkner on guitars and Rosemary Flanagan on cello.
The final track on the present CD, "John O'Dreams", was produced by Dónal Lunny and recorded at Windmill Lane Studios in 1980; therefore, it did not originally feature on the 33rpm, vinyl LP version of The Iron Behind the Velvet.
Instead, the song was first released—under the title "John of Dreams"—on the compilation album High Kings of Tara, then subsequently re-released on the CD version of The Iron Behind the Velvet. Lunny (bouzouki, synthesizer) and Jolyon Jackson (cello, synthesizer) accompanied Moore (vocals, guitar) on the recording of this track.
All tracks composed by Christy Moore; except where indicated
- "Patrick was a Gentleman / Irvine's Polka (Walls of Limerick)" (Andy Irvine, Christy Moore)
- "The Sun is Burning" (Ian Campbell)
- "Morrissey and the Russian Sailor" (traditional, arr. Christy Moore)
- "The Foxy Devil" ('Galway Joe' Dolan)
- "Three Reels: The Newly Mowed Meadow / Farrell O'Gara's Reel / No Name Reel" (traditional)
- "Trip to Jerusalem ('Galway Joe' Dolan) / The Mullingar Races / The Crooked Road"
- "Three Reels: Tommy Coen's / The Youngest Daughter / Flax in Bloom" (Tommy Coen/trad/trad)
- "Patrick's Arrival"
- "Gabriel McKeon's: Cailin Deas Cruaite na mBo / Gilbert Clancy's " (traditional)
- "Dunlavin Green"
- "Joe McCann" (Éamonn O'Doherty)
- "John O'Dreams" (Bill Caddick) (*)
- Christy Moore – vocals, guitar, bouzouki, bodhrán
- Andy Irvine – mandolin, harmonica, waldzither, dulcimer, bouzouki and vocals
- Barry Moore (Luka Bloom) – guitar and vocals
- Noel Hill – concertinas (C/G and Bb/F systems)
- Tony Linnane – fiddle
- Gabriel McKeon – Uilleann pipes (concert set and C set)
- Jimmy Faulkner – electric, acoustic and slide guitars
- Rosemary Flanagan – cello
- Dónal Lunny – guitar and synthesizer (on "John O'Dreams")
- Jolyon Jackson – cello and synthesizer (on "John O'Dreams")
- Sleeve notes from The Iron Behind the Velvet, Tara Records TARA 2002, 1978.
- Sleeve notes from High Kings of Tara, Tara Records TARA 3003, 1980.