The Powers of the Earth
|Author||Travis J I Corcoran|
|Followed by||Causes of Separation|
The Powers of the Earth is a 2017 libertarian hard science fiction novel by Travis J I Corcoran. It is his debut novel, and the first release in the Aristillus Series. The novel was funded by a 2017 Kickstarter campaign that raised $18,000.
An ungoverned lunar settlement whose economy developed while Earth's economy declined under a command-and-control economy engages in a struggle to stay free from Earth's meddling bureaucracy. The lunar colonists engage in military conflicts with the Earth forces on the surface of the moon, in space ships flying between Earth and the moon, and in the tunnels of the city of Aristillus. The novel deals with uplifted dogs, artificial intelligence, guns, space law, anti-gravity, libertarianism, and rebellion, as well as the Heinlein trope of the competent man.
Reviews and critical reception
- "Internet Speculative Fiction Database". Internet Speculative Fiction Database. Retrieved 2019-11-20.
- "Powers of the Earth: SF with spaceships, dogs, and big guns". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2019-04-29.
- "Mar 25, 2018: Prometheus Award Finalists". lfs.org. Retrieved 2019-04-09.
- "Encyclopedia of Science Fiction". Encyclopedia of Science Fiction. Retrieved 2019-11-20.
- "July, 2018: Prometheus Award and Classic Fiction Award Winners". lfs.org. Retrieved 2019-04-09.