Homeland (Doctorow novel)
|Subject||Terrorism, cryptography, computer hackers, Department of Homeland Security, privacy, police state, Dystopian Young Adult Fiction|
|Genre||Fiction / Cyberpunk|
|February 5, 2013|
|Preceded by||Little Brother|
Homeland is a novel by Cory Doctorow, published by Tor Books. It is a sequel to Doctorow's earlier novel, Little Brother. It was released in hardback on February 5, 2013 and subsequently released for download under a Creative Commons license on Doctorow's website two weeks later on February 19, 2013.
- Marcus Yallow – Main protagonist, Marcus is a college dropout who previously led the charge against the Department of Homeland Security in Little Brother.
- Angela Carvelli (Ange) – Marcus' girlfriend.
- Joseph Noss – Independent candidate for California State Senate. After being introduced by Mitch Kapor at Burning Man, Joe eventually employs Marcus as CTO of his campaign.
- Carrie Johnstone – Main antagonist, Johnstone is now head of security at Zyz, a fictional military contractor.
- Masha – Now a friend of Marcus, gives Marcus the docs about Carrie Johnstone's dirty work as leverage against Carrie
- Jolu – One of Marcus' friends who helps him as he attempts to distribute the contents of the USB file Masha gives him.
Homeland is dedicated to Doctorow's wife and daughter, Alice and Poesy. As in Little Brother, Doctorow also dedicates each e-book chapter of Homeland to a different bookstore: Chapters/Indigo, BakkaPhoenix Books, Barnes & Noble, Wild Rumpus, University Book Store at the University of Washington, Mysterious Galaxy, Anderson's Bookshops, Borderlands Books, The Tattered Cover, Uncle Hugo's, RiverRun Bookstore, Gibson's Bookstore, Busboys and Poets, Politics and Prose, Books of Wonder, Powell's Books, Amazon, Forbidden Planet.
In May 2013, 20th Century Fox sent a DMCA takedown request to Google to remove links to Cory Doctorow's novel Homeland, on the basis that 20th Century Fox owns an unrelated TV series with same title.
Technologies mentioned in the book
- "Free CC-licensed ebook of Homeland is live!".
- Doctorow, Cory (2013). Homeland. Tor Books.
For Alice and Poesy, who make me whole.
- Biggs, John. "Fox Shuts Down Cory Doctorow's Homeland Book In Overzealous DMCA takedown". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- "Fox Censors Cory Doctorow's "Homeland" Novel From Google - TorrentFreak". TorrentFreak. 2013-04-20. Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- Official Book Page on Cory Doctorow's website