The Price (play)
|Written by||Arthur Miller|
|Date premiered||February 7, 1968|
|Setting||The attic of a to-be-demolished brownstone apartment building, New York City, New York|
The Price is a 1968 play by Arthur Miller. It is about family dynamics, the price of furniture and the price of one's decisions. The play premiered on Broadway in 1968, and has been revived four times on Broadway. It was nominated for two 1968 Tony Awards.
- 1 Productions
- 2 Overview
- 3 Television adaptation
- 4 Awards and nominations
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The play opened on Broadway at the Morosco Theatre on February 7, 1968 where it played until the production moved to the 46th Street Theatre on November 18, 1968. The play closed on February 15, 1969 after 429 performances. The opening cast included Harold Gary as Gregory Solomon, Pat Hingle as Victor Franz, Kate Reid as Esther Franz, and Arthur Kennedy as Walter Franz.
The Price was nominated for two 1968 Tony Awards, for Best Play (Arthur Miller, writer; Robert Whitehead, producer) and Best Scenic Design (Boris Aronson). The Price lost in the "Best Play" category to Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.
The Price has been revived four times on Broadway since the original 1968 production:
- Criterion Center Stage Right, June 10 to July 19, 1992, 46 performances; directed by John Tillinger; nominated for 1993 Tony Award, Best Revival
- Royale Theatre, November 15, 1999 to March 5, 2000, 128 performances; directed by James Naughton, nominated for the 2000 Tony Award, Best Revival of a Play and Drama Desk Award, Outstanding Revival of a Play
- American Airlines Theatre, February 16, 2017 to May 14, 2017, directed by Terry Kinney.
Notable Regional Productions:
- ArtSpace at Crestwood Court, closed February 13, 2011
- Octagon Theatre, March 10 - April 2, 2011
- ACT Theatre, Seattle, Washington, May 30, 2014 to June 22, 2014
- Mark Taper Forum at the Center Theatre Group, February 11, 2015 to March 22, directed by Garry Hynes.
- Artists Repertory Theatre, March 31, 2015 to April 26, 2015
- TimeLine Theatre, Chicago, Illinois, August 2015 to November 2015
- Arena Stage, Washington, DC, October to November 2017, featuring Hal Linden as Gregory Solomon
After the Great Depression, Victor Franz gave up going to college to support his father. After 30 years, Victor returns to sell his parents’ estate. His wife, Esther, his brother, Walter, and a canny furniture dealer have their own agendas. Victor must finally deal with his sacrifice.
- Victor Franz - A police sergeant, eligible for retirement and approaching his fiftieth birthday. The character is based on Irving Abrams, Miller's childhood friend, who attended Columbia University and had the highest IQ on the NYC police force.
- Esther Franz - Victor's wife, it is suggested that Esther may have a problem with drinking.
- Gregory Solomon - A wily Russian-Jewish antique dealer, an octogenarian.
- Walter Franz - Victor's brother, a successful doctor Victor hasn't spoken to in years.
The Price was adapted for television, directed by Fielder Cook from a script by Miller, and broadcast as part of the Hallmark Hall of Fame on the NBC network on February 3, 1971. David Burns played Mr. Solomon, Colleen Dewhurst played Mrs. Franz, George C. Scott played Victor Franz, and Barry Sullivan played Walter Franz. 
The production was nominated for four Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Single Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role (Scott), Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in Drama (Burns), Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Drama - A Single Program (Cook), and Outstanding Single Program - Drama or Comedy (David Susskind, producer). Scott and Cook won.
Awards and nominations
Original Broadway production
|1968||Tony Award||Best Play||Nominated|
|Best Scenic Design||Boris Aronson||Nominated|
|Outer Critics Circle Award||Outstanding Play||Won|
|Outstanding Performance||Harold Gray||Won|
1971 Television Special
|1971||Primetime Emmy Award||Outstanding Single Program - Drama or Comedy||David Susskind||Nominated|
|Outstanding Single Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role||George C. Scott||Won|
|Outstanding Single Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role||Colleen Dewhurst||Nominated|
|Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series||David Burns||Won|
|Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Drama - A Single Program||Fielder Cook||Won|
|Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction or Scenic Design - For a Dramatic Program or Feature Length Film, a Single Program of a Series or a Special Program||John Clements||Nominated|
|1972||Directors Guild of America Award||Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Movies for Television||Fielder Cook||Nominated|
1979 Broadway revival
|1980||Drama Desk Award||Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play||Fritz Weaver||Nominated|
1992 Broadway revival
|1993||Tony Award||Best Revival||Nominated|
|Drama Desk Award||Outstanding Revival of a Play||Nominated|
|Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play||Eli Wallach||Nominated|
1999 Broadway revival
|2000||Tony Award||Best Revival of a Play||Nominated|
|Drama Desk Award||Outstanding Revival of a Play||Arthur Miller||Nominated|
|Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play||Harris Yulin||Nominated|
|Outer Critics Circle Award||Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play||Bob Dishy||Nominated|
|Outstanding Featured Actress in a Play||Lizbeth MacKay||Nominated|
2017 Broadway revival
|2017||Tony Award||Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play||Danny DeVito||Nominated|
|Drama Desk Award||Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play||Won|
|Outer Critics Circle Award||Outstanding Revival of a Play||Nominated|
|Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play||Danny DeVito||Won|
|Drama League Award||Outstanding Revival of a Play||Nominated|
|Distinguished Performance||Danny DeVito||Nominated|
- " 'The Price' 1968 Broadway" Playbill, accessed August 16, 2016
- " 'The Price' 1979" ibdb.com, accessed August 16, 2016
- " 'The Price' 1992" ibdb.com, accessed August 16, 2016
- " 'The Price' 1999" ibdb.com, accessed August 16, 2016
- " The Price 1999" Playbill, accessed August 16, 2016
- Viagas, Robert. "Mark Ruffalo and Danny DeVito Begin Previews in Broadway 'Price'" Playbill, February 16, 2017
- Vine, Hannah. "Mark Ruffalo and Danny DeVito Bring 'The Price' Back to Broadway" Playbill, March 1, 2017
- The Price acttheatre.org, accessed August 16, 2016
- Pierpont, Katie. "Arthur Miller Classic 'The Price' to Play Center Theatre Group's Mark Taper Forum" theatermania.com, February 11, 2015
- The Price timelinetheatre.com, accessed August 16, 2016
- "Hal Linden is right for ‘The Price’ at Arena Stage" washingtonpost.com, accessed November 5, 2017
- Miles, Ben. Review. The Price " ShowMag, February 2015, retrieved February 17, 2017
- The Price paleycenter.org, accessed August 16, 2016