The Victorian and Art Deco Ensemble of Mumbai
|UNESCO World Heritage Site|
|Inscription||2018 (42nd Session)|
|Buffer zone||378.78 ha|
|Coordinates||18°55′46″N 72°49′48″E / 18.92944°N 72.83000°ECoordinates: 18°55′46″N 72°49′48″E / 18.92944°N 72.83000°E|
The Victorian Gothic and Art Deco Ensembles of Bombay is a collection of 19th-century Victorian Revival public and 20th-century Mumbai Art Deco private buildings in the Fort precinct of Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. This ensemble was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2018.
This buildings are set around the Oval Maidan, a large recreational ground that was once known as the Esplanade. The east of the Oval is flanked by the Victorian Gothic public buildings and the western side is flanked by the Art Deco buildings of Back bay Reclamation and Marine Drive. This nomination aims to safeguard a total of 94 buildings.
The 19th century Victorian Gothic buildings that lie to the east of the Oval are mainly the Mumbai High Court, The University of Mumbai (Fort Campus) and The City Civil and Sessions Court (Housed in the Old Secretariat Building). This stretch also houses one of the landmarks of Mumbai, the Rajabai Clock Tower. The 20th century Art Deco buildings flank the western stretch of the Oval and consist mainly of privately owned residential buildings and the Eros Cinema among others.
This ensemble of Victorian Gothic and Art Deco buildings was added to the list of World Heritage Sites on 30 June 2018 during 42nd session of World Heritage Committee at Manama, Bahrain.
List of heritage structures or sites
Indian Neo-Gothic (Hindu Gothic) architecture
- City Civil and Sessions Court (Old Secretariat)
- University of Bombay complex:
- Mumbai High Court
- Public Works Department Building
- Esplanade Mansion
- David Sassoon Library
- Elphinstone College
- Maharashtra Police Headquarters
- Indian Mercantile Mansion
- Wellington Fountain
- Standard Chartered Bank Building
- Army and Navy Building
- Institute of Science
- Sir Cowasji Jehangir Hall, National Gallery of Modern Art
- Western Railway Headquarters Offices
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya
- Majestic Aamdar Niwas
- Regal Cinema
- Motabhoy Mansion
- Soona Mahal
- Keval Mahal
- Buildings around the Oval Maidan and Marine Drive
The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai building
- ^ a b c d e "The Victorian & Art Deco Ensemble of Mumbai - UNESCO World Heritage Centre". UNESCO World Heritage Centre. Archived from the original on 16 March 2018. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- ^ Mumbai's Victorian Gothic Art Deco Ensembles Is A World Heritage Site artdecomumbai.com. Retrieved 4 September 2021
- ^ "List of Buildings, Architectural Styles & Maps of the UNESCO Precinct – Art Deco". www.artdecomumbai.com. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- ^ "Research | Art Deco". www.artdecomumbai.com. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- ^ "History - City Civil and Sessions Court, Mumbai". District Courts of India. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- ^ "Four sites added to UNESCO's World Heritage List". UNESCO. 30 June 2018. Retrieved 5 July 2018.