Thin Ice (audio drama)
|Big Finish Productions audio drama|
|Series||Doctor Who: The Lost Stories|
Seventh Doctor |
|Written by||Marc Platt|
|Directed by||Ken Bentley|
|Release date||14 April 2011|
The Doctor and Ace arrive in Russia, 1967. The Russians are hoping to gain an advantage in the Cold War after discovering ancient Martian technology. However, the Ice Warriors want one particularly important artifact back. This will not be a test for the Doctor, but a test for Ace. He believes she may be ready to graduate.
- The Doctor – Sylvester McCoy
- Ace – Sophie Aldred
- Markus Creevy – Ricky Groves
- Lt Raina Kerenskaya/Sezhyr – Beth Chalmers
- Hhessh – Nicholas Briggs
- Major Maxim Alexandrovitch Felnikov – John Albasiny
- Adjudicator/Vitali Semyonovitch Wolshkin/Glarva – Nigel Lambert
- Yevgeni/Yasha Lemayev – John Banks
- Markus returns (22 years older) in the next story Crime Of The Century.
- His newborn daughter becomes the Doctor's newest companion, Raine. She is played by Beth Chalmers, who plays Raine's mother in this audio.
- Major Felnikov also returns in the next story, promoted to Colonel.
- This story was originally intended to be Ace's finale, as part of the unmade 27th television series in 1990.
- The original television version would have taken place in England, rather than Russia, but still in the 1960s.
- Nigel Lambert was in the 1980 TV story The Leisure Hive.
- As well as writing many Doctor Who audio stories and novels, Marc Platt wrote Ghost Light for the last season of the original television series.
- In 1997, Doctor Who Magazine, issue 255, published an article about these potential stories and created titles for them that have survived in fandom. The title of this story was changed from Ice Time, but the titles for the following three stories were retained from that article.