|Years active||2012– present|
|Relatives||Karthika Nair (sister)|
Thulasi Nair is an Indian film actress who has appeared in Tamil language films. After making her debut in Mani Ratnam's 2013 drama film Kadal, she has since gone on to work on Ravi K. Chandran's directorial debut Yaan (2014).
Aged 14, Thulasi was first considered for a role in director Mani Ratnam's Kadal after being recommended by actress Suhasini to audition for the lead role in November 2011. She was initially rejected with the director noting she was "too young for the role", before the team chose to sign her following Samantha's exit from the project. She would feature alongside fellow debutant Gautham Karthik in the leading roles, coincidentally 32 years after her mother and Gautham's father had also debuted together in Bharathiraja's Alaigal Oivathillai (1981). Thulasi lost twelve kilograms for the film and she went through a series of pre-production workshops conducted by actress Kalairani before the first schedule. Portraying the role of Beatrice, a young nurse with a child like personality, Thulasi worked alongside an ensemble cast including Arvind Swamy and Arjun and shot scenes across coastal Tamil Nadu. Her appearance was kept away from the media prior to release, with a clause in her contract preventing her from partaking in media interaction. The film opened in February 2013 to mixed reviews and the film became a commercial failure at the box office. Thulasi's performance won positive reviews from critics, with Rediff.com noting that "when the script demands that she come to life at the end she manages to do it well." Similarly, another reviewer added "Thulasi, is natural and has lent an air of grace to her role", while Sify.com wrote "though she has a very little screen space, she has tried her best to do a fair job of the young, chirpy girl." Her performance could fetched nominations for Best Female Debut Actress at the Vijay Awards and the South Indian International Movie Awards in 2014.
Before the release of Kadal, cinematographer Ravi K. Chandran signed on Thulasi to appear in a leading role in his maiden directorial venture, Yaan (2014). In Yaan, Thulasi played Srila, daughter of a retired defence officer, who lives in Chennai. Featuring alongside Jiiva, the film was shot extensively in Morocco and released in October 2014 to negative reviews and became a surprise failure at the box office. She received mostly negative reviews for her portrayal with Behindwoods.com noting "she gets a better outing this time, and has some range of expressions in her bag". In comparison, Rediff.com wrote that she is "barely recognisable", and that £there is barely any chemistry between the lead pair", while describing the film as a "terrible bore".
Thulasi was born in a Malayali family to businessman Rajasekaran Nair and Radha, a leading actress in Tamil and Telugu films during the 1980s. Her elder sister Karthika Nair is also an actress who has appeared in regional Indian films, while she also has an elder brother, Vignesh Nair. Her maternal aunt Ambika was also a contemporary of Radha's, and Thulasi has revealed she often seeks advice on acting from her mother, sister and aunt.
She has juggled between completing her acting commitments and attending Podar International School in Mumbai.
|2013||Kadal||Beatrice||Tamil||Nominated—Vijay Award for Best Debut Actress
Nominated—SIIMA Award for Best Debut Actress
- "Exclusive- In conversation with Thulasi". Sify. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- V. Lakshmi (14 November 2011). "Mani's search continues…". The Times of India. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "If not for Mani Ratnam, I wouldn't be in films: Thulasi". The Times of India. 29 September 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- s.d.d (13 January 2013). "From school to screen". The Hindu. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Camera didn't make newcomer Thulasi Nair nervous". Sify. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "No Photos Please, Says Mani Ratnam – Mani Ratnam – Kadal – Samantha – Thulasi Nair – Gautham Karthik – Radha – Karthik – Tamil Movie News". Behindwoods. 1 October 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "First Look: Mani Ratnam's heroine in Kadal – Rediff.com Movies". Rediff. 10 December 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Kadal review: With apologies to director Bharathi Raja – Rediff.com Movies". Rediff. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Review: Kadal has nothing new to offer – Rediff.com Movies". Rediff. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Movie Review : Kadal". Sify. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- Subha J Rao (24 May 2014). "On finding herself". The Hindu. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Interview with Thulasi Nair". The Times of India. 13 January 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- Ians – Chennai. "No competition with sister Karthika: Thulasi". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- Ians – Chennai. "Post exams, Thulasi resumes shooting". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thulasi Nair.|