Tonight (Seether song)
|Single by Seether|
|from the album Holding Onto Strings Better Left to Fray|
|Released||7 June 2011|
|Length||3:44 (album version)
3:45 (alternate mix)
3:59 (Neon Feather remix)
|Seether singles chronology|
"Tonight" is a song by South African post-grunge/alternative metal band Seether. It was released on 7 June 2011 as the second single from their fifth studio album Holding Onto Strings Better Left to Fray. This is also one of the last songs the band recorded with lead guitarist Troy McLawhorn who left the band prior to the album's release. Two remixes of this song appeared on the band's Remix EP.
During an interview, drummer John Humphrey stated that "Tonight" is one of the last songs the band wrote. "Shaun had put together a demo for the song, and he was playing it for Dale [Stuart, bass player] and I. We were sitting in line at Starbucks, and Shaun started playing the demo off his iPod, and we were like, 'this song is awesome, man.' It's a super strong song. It was very melodic and just the best of pop-rock for Seether. I think it's a really strong song and a great single." 
When asked about which songs were the favorites Shaun Morgan talked about how the song almost didn't make it onto the album since he hadn't shown it to the band yet and later explained "But one morning I woke up before dawn, in a really good mood, and completely changed the lyrics to positive lyrics. It just started coming together. Later that day in the studio, I asked Brendan to check it out. We only had two days left in the studio, but Brendan said, 'We've got to record that song right now.' I think it captures and summarizes the hopeful sentiment of the album."  Dale Stewart then says that "'Tonight' is almost nostalgic, yet optimistic sounding. It's a really strong song and I'm excited for it to possibly go to radio. I think it could be a big song for us." 
A remix contest for Seether's Remix EP, an EP release that has six remixes of Seether's songs from their album Holding Onto Strings Better Left to Fray, was held for the song through Indaba Music's website. Won by popular vote as grand prize winner, Neon Feather's remix of the song appeared on the EP and DJ Schmolli, though his or her song was not on the EP, was chosen by Seether as the runner-up for the contest.
The music video directed by Seth Dennemann premiered on 31 October 2011 on Vevo and on iTunes the next day. The video mainly shows live footage of the band's performance of the song at the 2011 Uproar Festival in Indianapolis, IN that was filmed on 17 September 2011 along with backstage footage.
Appearances in other media
- Immediately following the conclusion of 16 September taping of Smackdown at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on 13 September 2011, the song appears in a video tribute to former wrestler and Toronto native Edge that was shown during an appreciation night commemorating his career in the WWE which was filmed as a Blu-ray exclusive for You Think You Know Me: The Story of Edge. In addition, a shortened version of the video featuring the song appeared on the 9 January edition of Raw when Edge was announced as the main headliner for the 2012 WWE Hall of Fame.
- The band recorded the song in Simlish for The Sims 3: Showtime.
- Digital download
- "Tonight" – 3:44
- "Tonight (CLA Mix)"
- "Tonight (Alternate Mix)" (released in the UK)
- Shaun Morgan – lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Dale Stewart – bass, backing vocals
- John Humphrey – drums
- Troy McLawhorn – lead guitar
- Brendan O'Brien – producer/mixer
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||76|
|UK The Official Kerrang! Rock Chart||4|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||13|
|US Active Rock||1|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||1|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||7|
|US Rock Songs (Billboard)||4|
- "Seether - Tonight by Musketeer Records on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free". Soundcloud.com. 11 August 2011. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- Anne Erickson. "Seether Explain Genesis of Latest Rock Single, 'Tonight'". Audio Ink Radio. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "Biography". Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "Seether - Tonight Remix Opportunity". Indaba Music. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "Edge Appreciation Night Part 1 *Off-Air*LIVE* September 16, 2011". Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- Ouellette, Mary (13 October 2011). "Seether's 'Tonight' Chosen To Honor Retired WWE Wrestler". Loudwire. Retrieved 26 October 2011.
- "Kerrang! The Official Kerrang! Rock Chart - April 28 2012". Kerrang.com. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "Seether's "Tonight" Tops The Active Rock Charts! « New Music, Music Reviews". Pcm-music.com. 20 December 2011. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "Tonight - Seether". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-08-16.