|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Sherwood|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham|
|Consecration||21 March 2006
by John Sentamu
10 February 1952 |
RAF Halton, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Hertford College, Oxford|
Early life and education
Porter was born at RAF Halton, Buckinghamshire on 10 February 1952. He was one of four children of a building society manager. He went to school at Gravesend Grammar School and university at Hertford College, Oxford, before training for ordination at Ridley Hall, Cambridge.
Porter was made a deacon at St Peter's Day (29 June) 1977, by Bill Westwood, Bishop of Edmonton, at John Keble Church, Mill Hill, and ordained a priest the Petertide following (25 June 1978), by Gerald Ellison, Bishop of London, at St Paul's Cathedral. From 1977–1980, Porter served his first curacy at Edgware Parish Church in the Diocese of London, and from 1980–1983 was curate at St Mary's Haughton Green in the Diocese of Manchester. From 1983–1987, he was priest in charge of Christ Church, Bacup, Lancashire, and was made vicar of that congregation in 1987.
In 1991, he was made rector of Holy Trinity Platt Church, Rusholme, Manchester. During his time in Manchester, he was also chaplain to both Manchester City F.C. and Greater Manchester Police, and became Honorary Canon of Manchester Cathedral in 2004.
On 4 November 2005, it was announced that Porter would be appointed to the episcopate as Bishop of Sherwood, the suffragan bishop of the Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham. He was consecrated on 21 March 2006 in York Minster by John Sentamu, Archbishop of York. Porter was Acting Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham from the translation of Paul Butler to Durham on 20 January until he relinquished the additional role due to ill health on 9 April 2014.
Besides his clerical posts, Porter has also written several books.
Marriage and family
- The Reverend Tony Porter (1977–2004)
- The Reverend Canon Tony Porter (2004–2006)
- The Right Reverend Tony Porter (2006–present)
- Southwell Diocese Press Release — City focus for new Bishop of Sherwood (Archived at , 2 March 2012; accessed 26 July 2017)
- "Petertide ordinations (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#5968). 1 July 1977. p. 4. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 26 July 2017. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Ordinations (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#6020). 30 June 1978. p. 8. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 26 July 2017. (Subscription required (. ))
- Official notification of appointment
- Diocese of Southwell — The Bishop of Sherwood at the Wayback Machine (archived 17 June 2007)
- Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham – Bishops (Archived, 2 January 2014) at the Wayback Machine (archived 2 February 2014) (Accessed 10 April 2014)
- Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham – Bishop Richard Inwood takes temporary charge (Accessed 10 April 2014)
- Porter, Anthony. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2017 (November 2016 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 July 2017.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Sherwood
|This article about a United Kingdom bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|