Tore Holm on Princess Svanevit in Stockholm in 1931
|Born||25 November 1896|
|Died||15 November 1977 (aged 80)|
|Class(es)||40m² Skerry cruiser, 6mR, 8mR|
|Club||Norrköpings Segelsällskap, Royal Swedish Yacht Club|
He started out in 1920 as a crew member on the Swedish boat Sif, where he won the gold medal in the 40 m² class and eight years later he conquered the bronze medal, as a crew member on the Sylvia in the 8 metre class. In 1932 he won his second gold medal, this time being on the crew of the Bissbi, in the 6 metre class. At the Olympic Games in Berlin, 1936, he did not win a medal after finishing fourth in the 8 metre class competition. He finished his Olympic career in 1948 on the 6 metre class with his fourth medal, and second bronze, as part of the crew on the Ali Baba II.
In the early 1920s, the Holm boatyard at Gamleby designed and built a number of boats in the Skerry Cruiser (or Square Metre Rule) Class. In the later 1920s and 1930s several more designs came to fruition built to the International or Metre Rule, particularly in the 6m, 8m and 10m classes.
Posthumous build of J-class yacht
In 2014 it was reported that a new J-Class hull, Svea, was under construction at the Freddie Bloemsma Aluminiumbouw shipyard in the Netherlands to an original design by Tore Holm dating from 1937. In 2015 it was reported that outfitting would be undertaken at the Vitters Shipyard. She competed briefly in the 2017 J-Class regatta at Bermuda before her headstay furler broke.
Selected list of Tore Holm yacht designs
|Class||Names||Year ( unless otherwise indicated)|
|95m²||Marga IV (nowadays named Palazzo)||1921|
|95m²||Brit-Marie (together with brother Yngve Holm)||1921|
|6mR||Tidsfördrif||1935 or 1937|
|6mR||May Be IV||1936|
|6mR||May Be VI||1946|
|6mR||May Be VIII||1953|
|12mR||Princess Svanevit (together with Gustaf Estlander)||1930|
|70' yawl||Havsörnen II / Ivanhoe||1938|
- Tore Holm. sports-reference.com
- Tore Holm. Swedish Olympic Committee
- "Tore Holms Varv". svanevit.de. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- PROJECT 3076. Vitters.com (24 January 2013). Retrieved on 2016-01-25.
- Toby Hodges, 11 August 2017: The purist’s America’s Cup – the story of the seven-strong J Class Regatta in Bermuda at yachtingworld.com, accessed 12 April 2018
- Tore Holm. Classic Yacht Info (21 November 2015). Retrieved on 2016-01-25.
- Page including ref to Going, at britishyachtingarchive.org.uk
- Foto:. Sjohistoriska.se. Retrieved on 25 January 2016.
- tidsfordriv. 6mrnorthamerica.com. Retrieved on 25 January 2016.
- classic letter 8. 6mrnorthamerica.com (1 February 2003). Retrieved on 2016-01-25.
- 6mr – For sale. 6mr.fi. Retrieved on 25 January 2016.
- "Scandinavia" in EIGHTMAIL №41. Newsletter of the International Eight Metre Association. p. 41. Retrieved on 2016-06-11.
- Itaka « Sail Yacht Society. Sailyachtsociety.se. Retrieved on 25 January 2016.
- Page for Havsornen at billionaire.com Retrieved on 2016-06-11.
- "12mR Yacht Trivia". 12mr.de. Retrieved on 2016-06-13.
- page re constructor Tore Holm's yawl ''Ivanhoe''. Uk.topboats.com (26 October 2012). Retrieved on 2016-01-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tore Holm.|