(Schinz) D. R. Hunt
Tradescantia zebrina, formerly known as Zebrina pendula, is a species of spiderwort more commonly known as an inch plant or wandering jew. The common name is shared with closely related varieties T. fluminensis and T. pallida. Tradescantia zebrina is native to Mexico, Central America and Colombia, and naturalized in parts of Asia, Africa, Australia, South America, and various oceanic islands.
- Tradescantia zebrina var. flocculosa (G.Brückn.) D.R.Hunt - tropical Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras
- Tradescantia zebrina var. mollipila D.R.Hunt - tropical Mexico
- Tradescantia zebrina var. zebrina - most of Mexico from north to south, Central America, Colombia
Tradescantia zebrina has attractive zebra-patterned leaves, the upper surface showing purple new growth and green older growth parallel to the central axis, as well as two broad silver-colored stripes on the outer edges, with the lower leaf surface presenting a deep uniform magenta.
It is commonly available and used as a houseplant and groundcover. Propagated by cuttings, this plant can be moved or manipulated easily as its runners cling lightly to the ground (if used as cover). It tends to become an invasive species if not properly maintained.
Skin irritation may result from repeated contact with or prolonged handling of the plant — particularly from the clear, watery sap (a characteristic unique to T. zebrina as compared with the other aforementioned types).
- Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families
- Nelson Sutherland, C.H. (2008). Catálogo de las plantes vasculares de Honduras. Espermatofitas: 1-1576. SERNA/Guaymuras, Tegucigalpa, Honduras.
- CONABIO. 2009. Catálogo taxonómico de especies de México. 1. In Capital Nat. México. CONABIO, México D.F..
- "RHS Plant Selector - Tradescantia zebrina". Retrieved 5 July 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tradescantia zebrina.|
- Standard Data Report: Tradescantia zebrina - Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- PLANTS Profile: Tradescantia zebrina - National Resources Conservation Service (US Department of Agriculture)
- Taxonomy Browser: Tradescantia zebrina - National Center for Biotechnology Information (US National Institutes of Health)
- Desert Tropicals - Informational database on common gardening plants, based out of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
- Tradescantia zebrina - WikiSpecies page
|This Commelinales-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|