|T. quinquenervia Gillies & Hook.|
Miers ex Hook.
Trevoa is a genus of actinorhizal plants; these dicotyledon flora are trees or small shrubs. The genus was first proposed by Miers in 1825, but was not fully described until 1830 by Sir William Jackson Hooker. Genus members are notable for their ability to fix nitrogen. Species of this genus are generally found in the near coastal forests and arid shrubland of South America. Some species are localized in the mountains of central Chile; for example, the species Trevoa trinervis occurs in the La Campana National Park and other proximate areas of central Chile.
Along with some related plants in the family Rhamnaceae, they fix nitrogen via root nodules which contain Frankia bacteria. Other nitrogen-fixing genera in this family include Ceanothus, Colletia, Discaria, Kentrothamnus and Retanilla.
The botanist Karl Friedrich Reiche, publishing in the years 1894–1911, recognized 6 species. Trevoa quinquenervia Gillies & Hook., which has also been classified as Talguenea quinquenervia, is currently the only accepted species in the genus. Trevoa trinervis Miers is now considered a synonym of Retanilla trinervia (Gillies & Hook.) Hook. & Arn.
- J. Miers. 1860
- C. Michael Hogan. 2008
- Michael L. Clawson; Margarita Carú & David R. Benson (September 1998), "Diversity of Frankia Strains in Root Nodules of Plants from the Families Elaeagnaceae and Rhamnaceae", Appl Environ Microbiol., 64 (9): 3539–3543, PMC , PMID 9726914
- James E. Richardson, Michael F. Fay, Quentin C. B. Cronk, Diane Bowman and Mark W. Chase (2000), "A phylogenetic analysis of Rhamnaceae using rbcL and trnL-F plastid DNA sequences", American Journal of Botany, 87 (9): 1309–1324, doi:10.2307/2656724
- Karl Friedrich Reiche, "Trevoa Miers.", Estudios críticos de la Flora de Chile
- ipni.org search for Talguenea quinquenervia
- Diego Medan; Ana C. D'Ambrogio (1998), "Reproductive biology of the andromonoecious shrub Trevoa quinquenervia (Rhamnaceae)", Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society, 126 (3): 191, doi:10.1111/j.1095-8339.1998.tb02526.x, ISSN 0024-4074
- "Trevoa". The Plant List (2010). Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Trevoa trinervis Miers". The Plant List (2010). Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- C. Michael Hogan. 2008. Chilean Wine Palm: Jubaea chilensis, GlobalTwitcher.com, ed. N. Stromberg
- J. Miers. 1860. The Annals and Magazine of Natural History: Zoology, Botany, and Geology, Published by Taylor and Francis, ser.3: v.5, p 487
|This Rhamnaceae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|