Truth in Shredding
|Truth in Shredding|
|Studio album by |
The Mark Varney Project
|Studio||Silverlake Sound Studios, Los Angeles; The Brewery, North County, San Diego; Front Page Recorders, Costa Mesa|
|Producer||Mark Varney, Frank Gambale|
|The Mark Varney Project chronology|
Truth in Shredding is the first studio album by the Mark Varney Project (MVP), released in 1990 through Legato Records and reissued on November 4, 2003, through Tone Center Records. MVP was a short-lived collaborative project put together by Mark Varney, brother of Shrapnel Records founder Mike Varney. Mark founded Legato in the 1980s, which served as a jazz-oriented counterpart to the rock stylings of Shrapnel. This line-up of the group features guitarists Frank Gambale and Allan Holdsworth. Besides one track written by Gambale, the rest are covers of existing jazz fusion compositions.
Robert Taylor at AllMusic awarded Truth in Shredding four stars out of five, calling it "a very intense fusion recording that can be an intimidating listen both in terms of technique and the consistent intensity maintained throughout." He recommended it for fans of jazz fusion, progressive and heavy metal, and particularly for younger fans of guitar music, saying they "will appreciate the extended solos and lack of any commercial hooks here." While highlighting Gambale and Holdsworth's outstanding playing abilities, Taylor noted that they "quickly run out of ideas and continuously revert back to familiar territory". Tom Brechtlein's drumming was praised as a "fine performance".
|2.||"Humpty Dumpty"||Chick Corea||6:31|
|3.||"The Fall"||Wayne Shorter||8:15|
|4.||"Not Ethiopia"||Michael Brecker||9:36|
|5.||"New Boots"||Frank Gambale||6:24|
- Frank Gambale – guitar, engineering, mixing, production
- Allan Holdsworth – guitar, SynthAxe, overdub engineering
- Freddy Ravel – keyboard
- Tom Brechtlein – drums
- Jimmy Earl – bass
- Steve Tavaglione – saxophone, EWI
- Robert M. Biles – engineering
- Mark Varney – executive production
- ^ a b c Taylor, Robert. "Truth in Shredding - Allan Holdsworth / Frank Gambale / MVP / Mark Varney Project". AllMusic. RhythmOne. Retrieved 9 April 2020.
- ^ Monk, Laurie (13 June 2010). "Mark Varney: Legato interview with Laurie Monk". Truth In Shredding. Retrieved 9 April 2020.
- MVP "Truth In Shredding" album review at Guitar Nine Records
- EM48 – Remembering Allan Holdsworth Part 3, podcast featuring Frank Gambale speaking about the making of Truth in Shredding