A view of Tsaritsani with Mt. Olympus in the background.
|• Municipal unit||57.791 km2 (22.313 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||355 m (1,165 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||295 m (968 ft)|
|• Municipal unit||2,040|
|• Municipal unit density||35/km2 (91/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Postal code||402 00|
Tsaritsani or Tsiaritsiani (Greek: Τσαριτσάνη, Greek pronunciation: [t͡saɾi't͡sani] or Greek: Τσαρίτσιανη, Greek pronunciation: [t͡ʃa'ɾit͡ʃani]) is a village and a community of the Elassona municipality. Before the 2011 local government reform it was an independent community. The 2011 census recorded 2,040 inhabitants in the village. The community of Tsaritsani covers an area of 57.791 km2.
Tsaritsani lies in the northwestern part of Larissa regional unit, 40 km from Larissa, at the foot of Mount Olympus. It has a land area of 57.791 km². Its geography includes farmlands in the valley areas, the mountains are around the area as well as grasslands, ledges are to be founded in some areas and barren area in the higher elevations.
The name of Tsaritsani is of Slavic origin, most likely from Tsar or Tsaritsa. The history of Tsaritsani starts with the Slavic settlement of Greece in the seventh century AD. The village participated in the Greek War of Independence and offered fighters to the Sacred Band.
The first guerilla groups of the Greek People's Liberation Army in the area were created from residents of Tsaritsani. The village witnessed mass execution of its people twice, on 12 March 1943 and on 20 August 1944 by the Italian and German occupation forces respectively. As a result Tsaritsani is a stronghold of the left. In the European Parliament elections of 2014 the Communist Party of Greece received a 30.83% share of the vote in the village, when its nationwide share was 6.11%.
Tsaritsani is home to Oikonomos Tsaritsani, a football club that has competed in the third tier of Greek football. Greek international footballer Giorgos Mitsibonas, a Tsaritsani native, started his career from the club.
- "Detailed census results 2011" (in Greek).
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (Greek)
- Πίνακας 3. Πραγματικός πληθυσμός, επιφάνεια και πυκνότητα του πληθυσμού, με διάκριση σε αστικές και αγροτικές περιοχές καθώς και σε πεδινές, ημιορεινές και ορεινές περιοχές. Μέσος σταθμικός των υψομέτρων. (PDF) (in Greek). Ελληνική Στατιστική Αρχή (Hellenic Statistical Authority). Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Μόνιμος πληθυσμός . Νομοί , δήμοι , κοινότητες , δημοτικά και κοινοτικά διαμερίσματα και οικισμοί (PDF) (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Τσαριτσάνη". elassona.com.gr. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Τσαριτσάνη - Ιστορία (in Greek). fotoart.gr. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- Η πρώτη αντάρτικη ομάδα του Ολύμπου (in Greek). Μορφωτικός Σύλλογος Τσαριτσάνης. 30 March 2010. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Το ΚΚΕ Ελασσόνας για τις εκδηλώσεις στην Τσαριτσάνη (in Greek). larissanet.gr. 15 March 2014. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Election results of the European Parliament elections 2014 in Tsaritsani
- Ιστορία (in Greek). Oikonomos Tsaritsanis FC. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tsaritsani.|