Twistin' the Night Away
|"Twistin' the Night Away"|
|Single by Sam Cooke|
|from the album Twistin' the Night Away|
"You Send Me"|
"One More Time" (UK)
|Released||January 9, 1962|
|Recorded||December 18, 1961 at RCA Hollywood|
|Genre||Rhythm and blues|
|Label||RCA Victor 0566 (USA)|
|Producer(s)||Hugo & Luigi, Engineer: Al Schmitt|
|Sam Cooke singles chronology|
"Twistin' the Night Away" is a song written and recorded by Sam Cooke. It was released as a single in 1962 and became very popular, charting in the top ten of both the Billboard Hot 100 (#9) and Billboard's R&B chart (#1). "Twistin' the Night Away" was successful overseas as well, peaking at #6 on the UK Singles Chart.
The song was recorded with The Wrecking Crew as session musicians, including Rene Hall as band leader, Red Callender on bass, Earl Palmer on drums, Tommy Tedesco and Clifton White on guitars, Ed Beal on piano, John Kelson, John Ewing and Jewell Grant on saxophone and Stuart Williamson on trumpet.
Rod Stewart remake
|"Twistin' the Night Away"|
|Single by Rod Stewart|
|from the album Never a Dull Moment|
|B-side||"True Blue" / "Lady Day"|
July 1987 (re-recorded version)
1987 (re-recorded version)
|Genre||Rock and roll|
3:13 (album version)4:10 (1987 re-recording)
|Rod Stewart singles chronology|
In 1973, Rod Stewart released his version as his 14th single from Never a Dull Moment, his 4th album. This version achieved marginal success, peaking at #59 on the Billboard Hot 100. In 1987, he re-recorded the song for the soundtrack to the film Innerspace. When released as a single in the summer of 1987, this version hit #80 on the Hot 100.
- "Twistin' The Night Away" - 3:15
- "True Blue" - 3:29
1987 Re-recorded version (from the film, Innerspace)
- "Twistin' The Night Away" — Rod Stewart (4:10)
- "Let's Get Small" — Jerry Goldsmith (5:57)
- Original release
|Canadian Singles Chart||76|
|US Billboard Hot 100||59|
|US Cash Box Top 100 ||35|
|Canadian Singles Chart||54|
|US Billboard Hot 100||80|
|"Twistin' The Night Away"|
|Single by Divine|
|B-side||"A Divine Good Time"|
|Format||CD single, Maxi single|
|Divine singles chronology|
Divine recorded "Twistin' The Night Away" and released it as the second single from his album Maid in England in 1985.
- "Twistin' The Night Away (Dance Version)" — 6:53
- "Twistin' The Night Away (Instrumental)" — 6:10
- "A Divine Good Time" — 3:52
|UK Singles Chart||47|
Elsewhere in popular culture
- The song was also covered by the Motown group, the Marvelettes. Their version of the song appeared on the 1962 album, The Marvelettes Sing Smash Hits of 1962.
- Cooke's version also appeared in the 1978 classic Animal House, the 1987 film Innerspace, and the 2011 film The Green Hornet.
- The Shins titled their third album Wincing the Night Away in an apparent reference to the song.
- The song was recorded by Hutti Heita as a dark psytrance track in 2009.
- MunkTown's lead singer Alvin Seville with Brittany Miller covered the song in the 2017 album "Rockin' Through The Mirror, Throughout The Dreams.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 135.
- "Image of recording contract" (PDF). Wreckingcrewfilm.com. Retrieved 2016-09-26.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- Rod Stewart - Billboard Singles Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-12-22. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on 2013-12-14. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- "Divine". Chart Stats. Archived from the original on 2012-12-05. Retrieved 2010-06-14.
- Video on YouTube