Type 87 Chu-MAT
|Type 87 Chu-MAT|
The Type 87 launcher and laser designator on a single tripod.
|Type||Laser guided anti-tank missile|
|Place of origin||Japan|
|In service||1989 - present|
|Designer||Defense Agency Technical Research and Development Institute|
|Manufacturer||Kawasaki Heavy Industries
|Produced||1987 to present|
|Weight||Missile 12 kg
System 140 kg
|Caliber||Between 110 and 120 mm|
|Effective firing range||2,000 m|
|Sights||Laser assisted sights|
The Type 87 Chū-MAT (87式対戦車誘導弾 87-shiki tai-sensha yūdō-dan?) Chū-MAT is a Japanese laser guided anti-tank missile in service with the Japanese Ground Self-Defense Forces. It had been created as a front-line replacement for the Type 64 MAT, pressed into service with the Type 79 Jyu-MAT.
Development of the system began in 1976, missile trials were conducted in 1982, and a complete prototype system delivered in 1985. The first units entered service with the JGSDF in 1989. The system consists of a launcher, and a laser designator mounted on a heavy tripod.
The Ministry of Defense Technical Research and Developmental Institute has conducted testing on a new anti-tank missile that will eventually replace the Type 87 in front-line service. The project's code name is known in the JSDF as the Shin Chu-MAT.
The unit is situated on a tripod unit with the missile launcher and laser designator on it. The designator and launcher can be separated from each other by up to 200 meters, or can be mounted together on the same tripod, although Jane's notes that the exhaust gas from the missile may interrupt the designator laser.
- Type-87 Chu-MAT anti-tank missile. Retrieved on April 13, 2008.
- Designator, launcher and six missiles
- Jane's Infantry Weapons 2005-2006.
- "Type 87 Chu-MAT anti-tank missile system (Japan), Anti-tank weapons". Jane's. Archived from the original on June 9, 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-08.
- Japanese Military Aircraft Designations (after 1945). Retrieved on November 26, 2007.
- Kenkyusha's New Japanese-English Dictionary, Kenkyusha Limited, Tokyo 1991, ISBN 4-7674-2015-6
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Type 87 Chu-MAT.|