Uday U. Lalit
Uday Umesh Lalit
|Judge of the Supreme Court of India|
Assumed office |
13 August 2014
|Nominated by||Collegium of judges headed by CJI R M Lodha|
|Appointed by||Pranab Mukherjee|
|Born||9 November 1957|
Uday Umesh Lalit (born 9 November 1957) is a judge of the Supreme Court of India. Prior to his elevation as a judge, he practised as a senior counsel at the Supreme Court. Justice Lalit is the 6th senior advocate ever to be directly elevated to the Supreme Court. He will retire on 8 November 2022 after assuming the mantle as Chief Justice of India for 74 days.
Lalit joined the bar in June 1983 and started practising in the Supreme Court of India in 1986. From 1986 to 1992, Lalit worked with former Attorney General for India, Soli Sorabjee. On 29 April 2004, Lalit was designated as a senior advocate of the Supreme Court. An August 2014 Press Trust of India news report stated that Lalit had a high reputation for his preparation, patience, and "sober demeanor" while arguing his cases. The same report said that Lalit appeared in several high-profile criminal cases, and that his clients included politicians and film stars.
In 2011, a Supreme Court bench of Justices GS Singhvi and AK Ganguly appointed Lalit as the special public prosecutor for the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in the 2G spectrum cases, stating that "in the interest of a fair prosecution of the case, appointment of UU Lalit is eminently suitable".
His professional strengths are described as 'thoroughness with the case, patience in explaining legal questions and the sober demeanour in presenting the case before the bench.'
- "SC judge appointment: Who is UU Lalit?". India Today. 11 July 2014. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "Senior advocate Uday Lalit did not represent BJP leader Amit Shah in Sohrabuddin fake encounter case | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dna. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- "Justice UU Lalit likely to be the Chief Justice of India for 74 Days; List of India's probable CJs up to 2022, Justice Bobde has the longest tenure | Live Law". Live Law. 19 August 2014. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- "All In The Family". Outlook India. 19 September 2016. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- J., Venkatesan (11 July 2014). "Collegium clears Uday Lalit for SC". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Uday Lalit among four new judges to assume charge in Supreme Court". DNA. Press Trust of India. 13 August 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Singh, Sanjay K. (2011-04-12). "2G scam: SC orders Lalit be made prosecutor". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "Uday Lalit among four new judges to assume charge in Supreme Court". dna. 13 August 2014. Retrieved 23 July 2018.