17 January 1987 |
|Height||185 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||105 kg (16 st 7 lb)|
|Source: RLP, Huddersfield Giants Profile|
Ukuma Ta'ai (born 17 January 1987) is a Tongan professional rugby league footballer who currently plays for the Huddersfield Giants of the Super League. His usual position is at Second Row but he can play at Prop.
The following year, at the suggestion of a friend, he switched codes and joined the Mt Albert Rugby League Club and played in the Auckland Rugby League competition. In 2008 he played for the Auckland Vulcans in the NSW Cup.
Ta'ai played rugby union on Fridays for Tonga College and played rugby league on Saturdays for his home village club, the Fuekafa of Te'ekiu.
Ta'ai was signed by the New Zealand Warriors in 2009 and made his debut in a trial game against the North Queensland Cowboys. He made his first grade debut in Round Two 2009 against the Manly Sea Eagles. Ta'ai scored the Warriors first try against Penrith on 17 April after pouncing on a loose pass and crossing under the sticks.
On 12 September 2012 Ta'ai signed with Huddersfield Giants until 2015. His transfer was held up by red tape, until in January 2013 he was granted a British work permit. He scored his first try against Hull F.C. on 7 July 2013.
- "Giants to Boast Biggest Pack". Huddersfield Giants. Huddersfield Giants. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Huddersfield Giants 1st Team Ukuma Ta'ai". Huddersfield Giants web site. Huddersfield Giants. 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- Lowe, Robert (20 May 2010). "NRL: Try-scorer Ta'ai on a learning curve". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 25 November 2011.
- "Debut outings for new Warriors". One Sport. 20 February 2009. Retrieved 25 November 2011.
- Jones set to take on defending premiers Yahoo!Xtra Sport, 17 March 2009
- an one of eight Warriors to extend contracts rleague.com, 29 May 2011
- Ta'ai set to leave Warriors New Zealand Herald, 27 May 2012
- "Ta'ai cleared to play for Huddersfield". 3 News NZ. 29 January 2013.
- TNRL Current Players Tongan National Rugby League