Union of Benefices Act 1860
|Long title||An Act to make better Provision for the Union of contiguous Benefices in Cities, Towns, and Boroughs|
|Citation||23 & 24 Vict c CXLII|
|Royal assent||28 August 1860|
|Repealed by||Pastoral Measure 1968|
Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1974
The Union of Benefices Act was a piece of legislation regarded as necessary to reduce the number of parish churches in the City of London as the residential population declined in the second half of the 19th century.
Churches affected were
As churchyards were emptied for construction projects, such as the new railway stations, many remains were exhumed and re-interred in the City of London Cemetery.
This Act was amended by the Union of Benefices Act 1898 (61 & 62 Vict c 23).
- Borer, M.I.C. The City of London – a history. New York, D. McKay Co, 1978 ISBN 0-09-461880-1
- Huelin, G. Vanished Churches of the City of London, London Guildhall Library Publishing 1996 ISBN 0-900422-42-4
- The 1860 United Benefices Act Wright, G.W. in "Notes and Queries" 1943 184(10):290-291
- Reynolds, H. The Churches of the City of London. London, Bodley Head, 1922
- Tower and other components re-erected at All Hallows, Twickenham
- Tower remains. Betjeman, John (1992) . The City of London Churches. Andover: Pitkin. ISBN 0-85372-565-9.
- The Times, Tuesday, 20 June 1899; pg. 8; Issue 35860; col A Ecclesiastical Intelligence Ancient church closes
- "Local Administrative Units: Southern England" Youngs, F London: Royal Historical Society, 1979 ISBN 978-0-901050-67-0
- Viewed by many as the most tragic loss of all "Notes on Old City Churches" Pearce, C.W. (Winthrop Rogers Ltd 1909)
- To make way for the new Queen Victoria Street. Harben, H. (1918). A Dictionary of London. London: Herbert Jenkins.
- Proceeds went to building of St Dionis, Parson's Green
- A survey at the beginning of the century had identified it had not been used for worship in 10 years The Times, 23 June 1900; pg. 15; Issue 36176; col F Survey Of The Memorials Of London.
- 2 December 1886 Huelin (ibid)
- Demolition details