United Kingdom in the Eurovision Song Contest 1996
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Eurovision Song Contest 1996|
|Selection process||The Great British Song Contest 1996|
|Selection date(s)||1 March 1996|
|Selected entrant||Gina G|
|Selected song||"Ooh Aah... Just a Little Bit"|
|Final result||8th, 77 points|
|United Kingdom in the Eurovision Song Contest|
The United Kingdom selected their entry for the Eurovision Song Contest 1996 in Oslo, Norway with a new show, The Great British Song Contest. The winning entry was Gina G with "Ooh Aah... Just a Little Bit".
The Great British Song Contest 1996
The qualifying round for the contest was broadcast on BBC1 on 1 March 1996 and was hosted by Nicky Campbell. It was announced that the four songs with the highest number of telephone votes would qualify for the final.
The contestants for the pre-selection of The Great British Song Contest were as follows:
- Layla sang Find Love - Written by Marcus Vere & Simon Wilkinson
- Code Red sang I Gave You Everything - Written by Deni Lew, Nicky Graham & Wayne Hector
- Essenes sang I Never Knew - Written by S Elliot & R Driscoll & M Connaris
- Dan Anderson sang Sometimes It Rains - Written by Louisa Scott & Ronnie James Scott
- Lois sang I Just Want To Make Love 2 U - Written by Ben Keen, Paul Thompson & Mike Connaris
- Twin Hazey sang Louise - Written by Keith Summers, David Whitehouse & Michael Flaherty
- Zeitia Massiah sang A Little Love - Written by Pam Sheyne & Eliot Kennedy
- Gina G sang Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit - Written by Steve Rodway & Simon Tauber
Out of these songs, the TV viewers chose their four favourites, which performed on British television again in order for the TV viewers to vote their number one:
- 1st Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit - Gina G - 113,576 votes
- 2nd I Gave You Everything - British boyband Code Red - 41,791 votes
- 3rd A Little Love - Zeitia Massiah - 41,105 votes
- 4th Find Love - Layla - no votes were announced
The increased interest in participating in Eurovision meant that, with the exception of hosts Norway, all other countries had to present their song in an audio only semi-final held in late March. Gina G was placed third with 153 points. At the Eurovision final in Oslo Gina G came in at eighth place, scoring 77 points.
When Belén Fernández de Henestrosa, the Spanish spokesperson, announced the votes of the Spanish jury, she awarded six points to "Holland" (the Netherlands), which host Ingvild Byrn misheard as "Poland." The official results table corrected this error, and the Netherlands' seventh place result was restored at the expense of the United Kingdom, who ultimately finished eighth.  Despite this result, 'Just a Little Bit' is one of the most successful of the UK's entries at Eurovision, not only topping the UK singles chart but also finding success in America, where the song was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Dance Recording in 1998.
Points awarded to United Kingdom
|12 points||10 points||8 points||7 points||6 points|
|5 points||4 points||3 points||2 points||1 point|
Points awarded by United Kingdom
- "Eurovision Song Contest 1996". eurovision.tv. European Broadcasting Union. 18 May 1996. Retrieved 15 February 2015.