Wikipedia is run by children. Vandals and trolls are made to feel welcome, and legitimate editors are given no respect. I won't be back. --CDN99 00:45, 15 March 2006 (UTC)
You are absolutely correct BMurray
- I'm not sure it's run by children, but I believe I've come across many young adults. I don't see that as a bad thing, as Wikipedia is a serious and major undertaking, and is an excellent social environment in which to learn about responsibility, cooperation, and social contribution. (I've learned a great deal about these things here myself, and I'm not fresh out of highschool). Most of the young adults I've run across have behaved in a very responsible manner. The vast majority of them take their role in developing Wikipedia very seriously.
I can't agree that vandals and trolls are made to feel welcome. It's a guaged response system. Wikipedia has both crack teams of vandal fighting fanatics and a gentler approach to deal with casual offenders. The belief is that if you treat people nice, they'll come into the fold willingly. But some people are just plain mean and wish to do Wikipedia harm however nicely they are treated. Those are the real trolls, and Wikipedia's WP:CVU members and other vandal fighters show them no mercy, and fight them relentlessly wherever they appear. Wikipedia is in good hands.
Respect is given to those who deserve it. I've received plenty of pats on the back (called barnstars, but also got a couple kicks in the shins when I disregarded the community's best interests. Eventually I learned the essence of Wikipedia, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. It just takes some time to learn the nature of the wiki.
I hope you reconsider and come back. If you'd like, I'd be glad to give you the grand tour.
Sincerely, The Transhumanist 08:34, 23 October 2006 (UTC)
- 1 Some interesting areas of Wikipedia to check out, IMHO
- 2 File:Trioxane.gif listed for deletion
- 3 Nomination of Ganfyd for deletion
- 4 Proposed Image Deletion
- 5 Hydrogen peroxide therapy listed at Redirects for discussion
- 6 ArbCom elections are now open!
- 7 Caruso a legendary performer listed at Redirects for discussion
Some interesting areas of Wikipedia to check out, IMHO
- Wikipedia's navigation system
- Meaning of life
- Wikipedia:Esperanza - Hope defeats Despair, and the Wikipedians who belong to the Esperanza organization specialize in Hope.
- List of mathematics articles - the front page to one of the best run academic departments anywhere on the internet.
- Wikipedia:Bad jokes and other deleted nonsense - the lighter side of the operation.
- List of cycles - a fun little project.
- WP:AWB and WP:TOOLS - some tools to transform you into a power user on Wikipedia. These'll give anyone who masters them confidence in the project.
The Transhumanist 08:34, 23 October 2006 (UTC)
File:Trioxane.gif listed for deletion
An image or media file that you uploaded or altered, File:Trioxane.gif, has been listed at Wikipedia:Files for deletion. Please see the discussion to see why this is (you may have to search for the title of the image to find its entry), if you are interested in it not being deleted. Thank you. Skier Dude (talk) 00:58, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
The article will be discussed at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Ganfyd until a consensus is reached, and anyone is welcome to contribute to the discussion. The nomination will explain the policies and guidelines which are of concern. The discussion focuses on good quality evidence, and our policies and guidelines.
Users may edit the article during the discussion, including to improve the article to address concerns raised in the discussion. However, do not remove the article-for-deletion template from the top of the article. Burhan Ahmed | Penny for your thoughts? 10:24, 14 January 2011 (UTC)
Proposed Image Deletion
A deletion discussion has just been created at Category talk:Unclassified Chemical Structures, which may involve one or more orphaned chemical structures, that has you user name in the upload history. Please feel free to add your comments. (Talk) 22:49, 10 June 2011 (UTC)
Hydrogen peroxide therapy listed at Redirects for discussion
An editor has asked for a discussion to address the redirect Hydrogen peroxide therapy. Since you had some involvement with the Hydrogen peroxide therapy redirect, you might want to participate in the redirect discussion if you have not already done so. — Dmitrij D. Czarkoff (talk•track) 23:51, 22 June 2014 (UTC)
You appear to be eligible to vote in the current Arbitration Committee election. The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to enact binding solutions for disputes between editors, primarily related to serious behavioural issues that the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the ability to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail. If you wish to participate, you are welcome to review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. For the Election committee, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 12:50, 23 November 2015 (UTC)
Caruso a legendary performer listed at Redirects for discussion
An editor has asked for a discussion to address the redirect Caruso a legendary performer. Since you had some involvement with the Caruso a legendary performer redirect, you might want to participate in the redirect discussion if you have not already done so. Steel1943 (talk) 18:46, 2 June 2016 (UTC)