BY COMMENTING HERE, I ASSUME TO REPLY HERE UNLESS YOU SAY OTHERWISE!
- 1 Happy 😊 Belated Adminship!!
- 2 Hamming distance images
- 3 Joker playing card image
- 4 Extended confirmed protection
- 5 Two-Factor Authentication now available for admins
- 6 A new user right for New Page Patrollers
- 7 ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!
- 8 Usage Request
- 9 Wikiproject Zoo mailing list
- 10 Administrators' newsletter - February 2017
- 11 Happy Adminship Anniversary
- 12 Hello Colin !
- 13 A page you started (Summer solstice) has been reviewed!
Happy 😊 Belated Adminship!!
Hamming distance images
In these images the description is correct, but the actual hamming distance between any two points is 1! Is this a mistake? — Preceding unsigned comment added by Smellyjellly (talk • contribs) 05:02, 26 May 2016 (UTC)
- The distance between two adjacent points is one. The red and blue paths detailed in the first image are not adjacent, so they are greater than one. The blue path in the second image is adjacent therefore it is one. Using the digits as coordinates helps graphically visualize the Hamming distance, but you can see it in the digits themselves: it takes three bit flips to go from 0100 to 1001 and only one bit flip to go from 0110 to 0111.
- Also, please sign your posts using four tildes ~~~~. If you forget, it's nice if you don't remove auto-added signatures. It's nice to know who is asking questions! Cburnett (talk) 12:48, 29 May 2016 (UTC)
Joker playing card image
I've recently been revamping the List of poker hands article and am sorely missing a Joker image for the Five of a kind section. If you found the time to create one (or even two: a red and a black version) to complete your already excellent set of playing cards, that would be rather fantastic. Just a humble request of course; the article will live on without it! (But what kind of a life would that be?) Hpesoj00 (talk) 17:12, 14 July 2016 (UTC)
- I have gone and added the jokers myself, as I found the original source material. Please edit them if I have done a poor job. Hpesoj00 (talk) 18:30, 18 July 2016 (UTC)
Extended confirmed protection
Two-Factor Authentication now available for admins
Please note that TOTP based two-factor authentication is now available for all administrators. In light of the recent compromised accounts, you are encouraged to add this additional layer of security to your account. It may be enabled on your preferences page in the "User profile" tab under the "Basic information" section. For basic instructions on how to enable two-factor authentication, please see the developing help page for additional information. Important: Be sure to record the two-factor authentication key and the single use keys. If you lose your two factor authentication and do not have the keys, it's possible that your account will not be recoverable. Furthermore, you are encouraged to utilize a unique password and two-factor authentication for the email account associated with your Wikimedia account. This measure will assist in safeguarding your account from malicious password resets. Comments, questions, and concerns may be directed to the thread on the administrators' noticeboard. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:34, 12 November 2016 (UTC)
A new user right for New Page Patrollers
A new user group, New Page Reviewer, has been created in a move to greatly improve the standard of new page patrolling. The user right can be granted by any admin at PERM. It is highly recommended that admins look beyond the simple numerical threshold and satisfy themselves that the candidates have the required skills of communication and an advanced knowledge of notability and deletion. Admins are automatically included in this user right.
It is anticipated that this user right will significantly reduce the work load of admins who patrol the performance of the patrollers. However,due to the complexity of the rollout, some rights may have been accorded that may later need to be withdrawn, so some help will still be needed to some extent when discovering wrongly applied deletion tags or inappropriate pages that escape the attention of less experienced reviewers, and above all, hasty and bitey tagging for maintenance. User warnings are available here but very often a friendly custom message works best.
ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!
Is it alright if I use your encapsulation diagram in my school assignment? You're the original author, and I'd thought I'd be polite & ask, as I know it's under the GFDL. I think it ilustrates the point that I'm trying to make in my assignment pretty well. AtlasDuane (talk) 10:15, 16 January 2017 (UTC)
Wikiproject Zoo mailing list
Hello! You are receiving this message because you have added yourself as a member of the Wikiproject Zoo. This is the first such message, however we hope that this can be used to coordinate editing and development of articles later down the road. If you wish to opt out of further messages remove yourself from the mailing list here , and if consider yourself not active within the project, please remove yourself from member list here. For Wikiproject Zoo general discussions and suggestions, please use the project talk page. (Delivered: 16:42, 27 January 2017 (UTC))
News and updates for administrators from the past month (January 2017). This first issue is being sent out to all administrators, if you wish to keep receiving it please subscribe. Your feedback is welcomed.
- NinjaRobotPirate • Schwede66 • K6ka • Ealdgyth • Ferret • Cyberpower678 • Mz7 • Primefac • Dodger67
- Briangotts • JeremyA • BU Rob13
- A discussion to workshop proposals to amend the administrator inactivity policy at Wikipedia talk:Administrators has been in process since late December 2016.
- Wikipedia:Pending changes/Request for Comment 2016 closed with no consensus for implementing Pending changes level 2 with new criteria for use.
- Following an RfC, an activity requirement is now in place for bots and bot operators.
- When performing some administrative actions the reason field briefly gave suggestions as text was typed. This change has since been reverted so that issues with the implementation can be addressed. (T34950)
- Following the latest RfC concluding that Pending Changes 2 should not be used on the English Wikipedia, an RfC closed with consensus to remove the options for using it from the page protection interface, a change which has now been made. (T156448)
- The Foundation has announced a new community health initiative to combat harassment. This should bring numerous improvements to tools for admins and CheckUsers in 2017.
- JohnCD (John Cameron Deas) passed away on 30 December 2016. John began editing Wikipedia seriously during 2007 and became an administrator in November 2009.
13:38, 1 February 2017 (UTC)
Happy Adminship Anniversary
Hello Colin !
A page you started (Summer solstice) has been reviewed!
Thanks for creating Summer solstice, Cburnett!
Wikipedia editor Kvng just reviewed your page, and wrote this note for you:
To reply, leave a comment on Kvng's talk page.
Learn more about page curation.