User talk:Isarra

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

I am wandering through fields of pineapples...[edit]

Pineapples. Very nice ones. Slightly sweet, slightly tangy, not too much acid. I'm from Illogicopedia. Try to figure out which user I am, without looking at my user page (which reveals the truth) OK? ;) IllogicMink talk about it 06:40, 22 May 2015 (UTC)

Man, I don't know who anyone is anyway. Where's the juice even gone these days? -— Isarra 06:52, 22 May 2015 (UTC)
Me. Me. Me. Did I even show it? The fields of pineapples. So acidic. So dry. Think I'll stick to bananas... IllogicMink talk about it 05:00, 23 May 2015 (UTC)
So long as there are no lobsters I wouldn't worry about it. Did you know Wikipedia's coverage of obscure philosophy sucks? I'm not even sure how much of it is obscure. It's worrisome. We need more obscure philosophy for the fnurdles. -— Isarra 08:05, 23 May 2015 (UTC)
Hindleyism, too. Do you want to help me with the religion? IllogicMink talk about it 08:16, 23 May 2015 (UTC)
Nope. -— Isarra 08:31, 23 May 2015 (UTC)
I thought not. These are the times of darkness, when nothing is sure. No lights permeate the consciousness. There is only dark, and there is only banana cheese. The fnurdles, they hide. Not fascinated, not interested. Not partial to rainbows, they weren't. So they didn't. Obscure philosophy was the only way they could find it. IllogicMink talk about it 09:15, 23 May 2015 (UTC)
Wading through connection timeout errors, I can only agree. -— Isarra 09:23, 23 May 2015 (UTC)
But why? IllogicMink talk about it 09:30, 23 May 2015 (UTC)
I'm at a wikimedia hackathon, which, hilariously, mean's it's all for a pile of internetty stuff. So naturally we have no working internet. It would be worthy of ?pedia, but I can't seem to access ?pedia. -— Isarra 09:33, 23 May 2015 (UTC)
OK. So dry. Nothing will stand forever. IllogicMink talk about it 10:19, 23 May 2015 (UTC)

WikiProject X Newsletter • Issue 4[edit]

WikiProject X icon.svg
Newsletter • May/June 2015

Hello friends! We have been hard at work these past two months. For this report:

The directory is live!

For the first time, we are happy to bring you an exhaustive, comprehensive WikiProject Directory. This directory endeavors to list every single WikiProject on the English Wikipedia, including those that don't participate in article assessment. In constructing the broadest possible definition, we have come up with a list of approximately 2,600 WikiProjects. The directory tracks activity statistics on the WikiProject's pages, and, for where it's available, statistics on the number of articles tracked by the WikiProject and the number of editors active on those articles. Complementing the directory are description pages for each project, listing usernames of people active on the WikiProject pages and the articles in the WikiProject's scope. This will help Wikipedians interested in a subject find each other, whether to seek feedback on an article or to revive an old project. (There is an opt-out option.) We have also come up with listings of related WikiProjects, listing the ten most relevant WikiProjects based on what articles they have in common. We would like to promote WikiProjects as interconnected systems, rather than isolated silos.

A tremendous amount of work went into preparing this directory. WikiProjects do not consistently categorize their pages, meaning we had to develop our own index to match WikiProjects with the articles in their scope. We also had to make some adjustments to how WikiProjects were categorized; indeed, I personally have racked up a few hundred edits re-categorizing WikiProjects. There remains more work to be done to make the WikiProject directory truly useful. In the meantime, take a look and feel free to leave feedback at the WikiProject X talk page.

Stuff in the works!

What have we been working on?

  • A new design template—This has been in the works for a while, of course. But our goal is to design something that is useful and cleanly presented on all browsers and at all screen resolutions while working within the confines of what MediaWiki has to offer. Additionally, we are working on designs for the sub-components featured on the main project page.
  • A new WikiProject talk page banner in Lua—Work has begun on implementing the WikiProject banner in Lua. The goal is to create a banner template that can be usable by any WikiProject in lieu of having its own template. Work has slowed down for now to focus on higher priority items, but we are interested in your thoughts on how we could go about creating a more useful project banner. We have a draft module on Test Wikipedia, with a demonstration.
  • New discussion reports—We have over 4.8 million articles on the English Wikipedia, and almost as many talk pages as well. But what happens when someone posts on a talk page? What if no one is watching that talk page? We are currently testing out a system for an automatically-updating new discussions list, like RFC for WikiProjects. We currently have five test pages up for the WikiProjects on cannabis, cognitive science, evolutionary biology, and Ghana.
  • SuggestBot for WikiProjects—We have asked the maintainer of SuggestBot to make some minor adjustments to SuggestBot that will allow it to post regular reports to those WikiProjects that ask for them. Stay tuned!
  • Semi-automated article assessment—Using the new revision scoring service and another system currently under development, WikiProjects will be getting a new tool to facilitate the article assessment process by providing article quality/importance predictions for articles yet to be assessed. Aside from helping WikiProjects get through their backlogs, the goal is to help WikiProjects with collecting metrics and triaging their work. Semi-automation of this process will help achieve consistent results and keep the process running smoothly, as automation does on other parts of Wikipedia.

Want us to work on any other tools? Interested in volunteering? Leave a note on our talk page.

The WikiProject watchers report is back!

The database report which lists WikiProjects according to the number of watchers (i.e., people that have the project on their watchlist), is back! The report stopped being updated a year ago, following the deactivation of the Toolserver, but a replacement report has been generated.

Until next time, Harej (talk) 22:20, 17 June 2015 (UTC)

That particular comment[edit]

It's one thing to oppose the RfA. That commenter in particular was saying in no uncertain terms that XTools is important to him and he's not satisfied with it's service and the candidate has no business with the tools until service meets commenter's expectations. That is beyond the pale to say to a volunteer. If I were in Cyber's shoes and my candidacy was being opposed based on the quality of service I'm providing, I'd drop the tools altogether and make it a non-issue. That comment is particularly snarky and unappreciative and well beyond the level of criticism warranted and what any of the other opposes have said.--v/r - TP 23:07, 8 July 2015 (UTC)

Where is the snark? The point that asking for more tools when existing ones have a history of poor maintainability is perfectly valid when a common reason for supporting the candidate's nomination is exactly that - his work on tools. Now whether or not we agree with it is up to us, but I can certainly see why it might be a concern. -— Isarra 02:12, 9 July 2015 (UTC)
I can see why it might be a concern, and that's why I haven't criticized anyone else whose concern was the tools. The way that it was made in that comment was particularly nasty, though, imho. Afterall, Anthonyhcole also made a comment about the availability of the tools and I clarified that my concern wasn't what was said but how it was said here. It's one thing to say that the tools haven't been available and that the candidate might not have a lot of time. But the comment "says in giant letters that Cyberpower678 has no business gunning for more tools." Don't you think telling someone what there business was, and not only that but saying that it is in "giant letters" is well beyond snarky?--v/r - TP 03:20, 9 July 2015 (UTC)
Seems fairly matter of fact to me; the size and concrete wording more seemed to emphasise how strongly they feel than anything else, whereas snarky would be, if anything, doing the opposite. Using size and vagueness, maybe calling out a specific example and saying the opposite, or posing questions if someone like X is someone we can really trust with sensitive tools, do we want example of horrible thing Y to happen, sarcastic comment Z, or stuff like that.
Mind you, as an uncyclopedian, my views on snark may be a bit jaded. We kind of communicate primarily in snark there, so little things are more easily missed. On the other hand, the way we read stuff that's writing is often not what's intended anyhow. You read it one way, I read it another, turns out both are wrong, perhaps. -— Isarra 03:34, 9 July 2015 (UTC)

A barnstar for you![edit]

Vitruvian Barnstar Hires.png The Technical Barnstar
Thank you so much for leading the WikiProject X design team in creating WikiProject XX/WiR in about 48 hours during Wikimania 2015 Mexico City. The project page is beautiful! I recognize how technically challenging this has been; and I know that there are lots of additional features we'll want as time goes on. But please know that your work is much appreciated by the the project's co-founders. Again, thank you. Rosiestep (talk) 17:07, 25 July 2015 (UTC)


I don't exist. MyOwnBadSelf (talk) 23:39, 25 July 2015 (UTC)

What. Also headers, man. -— Isarra 23:55, 25 July 2015 (UTC)
Thanks. MyOwnBadSelf (talk) 06:08, 27 July 2015 (UTC)


Meow. --DSA510 Pls No Level Up 18:16, 27 July 2015 (UTC)

Your signature is horrifying. You should make it simpler. -— Isarra 01:14, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
But it's made with whole grain! --DSA510 Pls No Level Up 05:59, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
Horrifying. -— Isarra 23:19, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
Whole grain! --DSA510 Pls No Level Up 23:50, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
Maybe. I feel like I'm forgetting to do something. -— Isarra 02:43, 30 July 2015 (UTC)
Your sig might be made of whole grain, but mine is made of soy! MyOwnBadSelf (talk) 08:37, 31 July 2015 (UTC)
Well, mine is mung. -— Isarra 18:45, 1 August 2015 (UTC)
100% pure millet here! --MyOwnBadSelf | Consult the Fossil 23:56, 1 August 2015 (UTC)
Chicken waffles need to be wrapped around the cake. It's the way to get the lobster properly shaped. Hyena blazing. -— Isarra 02:54, 2 August 2015 (UTC)
Vertolic mesasota. (talk) 06:13, 2 August 2015 (UTC)
My signature is made of wikicode, not soy or any grain of the sort. MyOwnBadSelf | Consult the Fossil 07:13, 23 August 2015 (UTC)
Traitorous scum. -— Isarra 14:59, 23 August 2015 (UTC)
Thank you for injecting the daily dose of nonsense into Wikipedia. MyOwnBadSelf | Consult the Fossil 11:17, 15 September 2015 (UTC)
"Daily dose" is a most unfortunate choice of words, considering I am the OP, and my signature. But do not fret, all shall be amended in due time by our lord and saviour, Lowercase Sigmabot III. --DSA510 Pls No Bully 21:01, 9 November 2015 (UTC)


Your wikibeetle is the most delightful work of art. – SJ + 08:25, 30 July 2015 (UTC)

Thanks, man. I appreciate it. -— Isarra 18:46, 1 August 2015 (UTC)

Invitation to WikiProject TAFI[edit]

Today's Article For Improvement star.svg
Hello, Isarra. You're invited to join WikiProject Today's articles for improvement, a project dedicated to significantly improving articles with collaborative editing in a week's time.

Feel free to nominate an article for improvement at the project's Article nomination board. If interested in joining, please add your name to the list of members. Thanks for your consideration. North America1000 09:03, 27 August 2015 (UTC)

WikiProject X Newsletter • Issue 5[edit]

WikiProject X icon.svg
Newsletter • October 2015

Hello there! Happy to be writing this newsletter once more. This month:

We did it!

In July, we launched five pilot WikiProjects: WikiProjects Cannabis, Evolutionary Biology, Ghana, Hampshire, and Women's Health. We also use the new design, named "WPX UI," on WikiProject Women in Technology, Women in Red, WikiProject Occupational Safety and Health. We are currently looking for projects for the next round of testing. If you are interested, please sign up on the Pilots page.

Shortly after our launch we presented at Wikimania 2015. Our slides are on Wikimedia Commons.

Then after all that work, we went through the process of figuring out whether we accomplished our goal. We reached out to participants on the redesigned WikiProjects, and we asked them to complete a survey. (If you filled out your survey—thank you!) While there are still some issues with the WikiProject tools and the new design, there appears to be general satisfaction (at least among those who responded). The results of the survey and more are documented in our grant report filed with the Wikimedia Foundation.

The work continues!

There is more work that needs to be done, so we have applied for a renewal of our grant. Comments on the proposal are welcome. We would like to improve what we have already started on the English Wikipedia and to also expand to Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata. Why those? Because they are multilingual projects and because there needs to be better coordination across Wikimedia projects. More details are available in the renewal proposal.

How can the Wikimedia Foundation support WikiProjects?

The Wikimedia Developer Summit will be held in San Francisco in January 2016. The recently established Community Tech team at the Wikimedia Foundation is interested in investigating what technical support they can provide for WikiProjects, i.e., support beyond just templates and bots. I have plenty of opinions myself, but I want to hear what you think. The session is being planned on Phabricator, the Wikimedia bug tracker. If you are not familiar with Phabricator, you can log in with your Wikipedia username and password through the "Login or Register: MediaWiki" button on the login page. Your feedback can help make editing Wikipedia a better experience.

Until next time,

Harej (talk) 09:03, 26 October 2015 (UTC)


The alchemist living with the cream puff self-flagellates, because a halfhearted toothache laughs and drinks all night with a starlet from the trombone. An unsightly amour-propre, some tea party from the dilettante, and the cream puff living with a ribbon are what got Jean-Pierre into trouble. The marzipan wakes up, and a cleavage behind a piroshki beams with joy; however, an espadrille from a clodhopper borrows money from a snow living with a philosopher. Sometimes a tenor behind a stalactite procrastinates, but a dilettante always amorously secretly admires a philosopher inside the toothache! Keegan (talk) 20:50, 3 November 2015 (UTC)

The putrescence gibbers in the corner while we all wait batedly for the cake. I don't know if it's time yet, but if you ever see the philosopher mandating Mr. Psychologist (someone's cat? I don't remember) eat more turnips, I think we have a problem. This isn't the full picture. The model is incompletely. More generation is clearly needed. -— Isarra 22:09, 3 November 2015 (UTC)

[Hissing Noises][edit]

Shall you run for arbcom this year? --DSA510 Pls No Bully 16:50, 9 November 2015 (UTC)

Maybe. I need to get better at pies, though. I need to see if I can get exactly three times as many opposes as supports. -— Isarra 20:49, 9 November 2015 (UTC)
What is an arbitrator, but a miserable pile of pies? --DSA510 Pls No Bully 20:58, 9 November 2015 (UTC)
Miserable they may be for the amount of crap that gets thrown at them, but if they really were piles of pies, don't you think there would be at least some instances of them eating each other? -— Isarra 21:07, 9 November 2015 (UTC)
Pies graze on grass silly. --DSA510 Pls No Bully 04:39, 10 November 2015 (UTC)
I disagree. MyOwnBadSelf | Consult the Fossil 05:19, 12 November 2015 (UTC)
I'm tempted to report you to AN/I for this transgression, however I realized that AN/I is a social construct, like mechanical keyboards or good open source nVidia drivers. --DSA510 Pls No Bully 12:09, 12 November 2015 (UTC)

ArbCom elections are now open![edit]

You appear to be eligible to vote in the current Arbitration Committee election. The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to enact binding solutions for disputes between editors, primarily related to serious behavioural issues that the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the ability to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail. If you wish to participate, you are welcome to review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. For the Election committee, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 14:25, 24 November 2015 (UTC)

WikiProject X Newsletter • Issue 6[edit]

WikiProject X icon.svg
Newsletter • January 2016

Hello there! Happy to be writing this newsletter once more. This month:

What comes next

Some good news: the Wikimedia Foundation has renewed WikiProject X. This means we can continue focusing on making WikiProjects better.

During our first round of work, we created a prototype WikiProject based on two ideas: (1) WikiProjects should clearly present things for people to do, and (2) The content of WikiProjects should be automated as much as possible. We launched pilots, and for the most part it works. But this approach will not work for the long term. While it makes certain aspects of running a WikiProject easier, it makes the maintenance aspects harder.

We are working on a major overhaul that will address these issues. New features will include:

  • Creating WikiProjects by simply filling out a form, choosing which reports you want to generate for your project. This will work with existing bots in addition to the Reports Bot reports. (Of course, you can also have sections curated by humans.)
  • One-click button to join a WikiProject, with optional notifications.
  • Be able to define your WikiProject's scope within the WikiProject itself by listing relevant pages and categories, eliminating the need to tag every talk page with a banner. (You will still be allowed to do that, of course. It just won't be required.)

The end goal is a collaboration tool that can be used by WikiProjects but also by any edit-a-thon or group of people that want to coordinate on improving articles. Though implemented as an extension, the underlying content will be wikitext, meaning that you can continue to use categories, templates, and other features as you normally would.

This will take a lot of work, and we are just getting started. What would you like to see? I invite you to discuss on our talk page.

Until next time,

Harej (talk) 02:53, 20 January 2016 (UTC)

WikiProject X Newsletter • Issue 7[edit]

WikiProject X icon.svg
Newsletter • February 2016

This month:

One database for Wikipedia requests

Development of the extension for setting up WikiProjects, as described in the last issue of this newsletter, is currently underway. No terribly exciting news on this front.

In the meantime, we are working on a prototype for a new service we hope to announce soon. The problem: there are requests scattered all across Wikipedia, including requests for new articles and requests for improvements to existing articles. We Wikipedians are very good at coming up with lists of things to do. But once we write these lists, where do they end up? How can we make them useful for all editors—even those who do not browse the missing articles lists, or the particular WikiProjects that have lists?

Introducing Wikipedia Requests, a new tool to centralize the various lists of requests around Wikipedia. Requests will be tagged by category and WikiProject, making it easier to find requests based on what your interests are. Accompanying this service will be a bot that will let you generate reports from this database on any wiki page, including WikiProjects. This means that once a request is filed centrally, it can syndicated all throughout Wikipedia, and once it is fulfilled, it will be marked as "complete" throughout Wikipedia. The idea for this service came about when I saw that it was easy to put together to-do lists based on database queries, but it was harder to do this for human-generated requests when those requests are scattered throughout the wiki, siloed throughout several pages. This should especially be useful for WikiProjects that have overlapping interests.

The newsletter this month is fairly brief; not a lot of news, just checking in to say that we are hard at work and hope to have more for you soon.

Until next time,

Harej (talk) 01:43, 24 February 2016 (UTC)

WikiProject X Newsletter • Issue 8[edit]

WikiProject X icon.svg
Newsletter • March / April 2016

This month:

Transclude article requests anywhere on Wikipedia

In the last issue of the WikiProject X Newsletter, I discussed the upcoming Wikipedia Requests system: a central database for outstanding work on Wikipedia. I am pleased to announce Wikipedia Requests is live! Its purpose is to supplement automatically generated lists, such as those from SuggestBot, Reports bot, or Wikidata. It is currently being demonstrated on WikiProject Occupational Safety and Health (which I work on as part of my NIOSH duties) and WikiProject Women scientists.

Adding a request is as simple as filling out a form. Just go to the Add form to add your request. Adding sources will help ensure that your request is fulfilled more quickly. And when a request is fulfilled, simply click "mark as complete" and it will be removed from all the lists it's on. All at the click of a button! (If anyone is concerned, all actions are logged.)

With this new service is a template to transclude these requests: {{Wikipedia Requests}}. It's simple to use: add the template to a page, specifying article=, category=, or wikiproject=, and the list will be transcluded. For example, for requests having to do with all living people, just do {{Wikipedia Requests|category=Living people}}. Use these lists on WikiProjects but also for edit-a-thons where you want a convenient list of things to do on hand. Give it a shot!

Help us build our list!

The value of Wikipedia Requests comes from being a centralized database. The long work to migrating individual lists into this combined list is slowly underway. As of writing, we have 883 open tasks logged in Wikipedia Requests. We need your help building this list.

If you know of a list of missing articles, or of outstanding tasks for existing articles, that you would like to migrate to this new system, head on over to Wikipedia:Wikipedia Requests#Transition project and help out. Doing this will help put your list in front of more eyes—more than just your own WikiProject.

An open database means new tools

WikiProject X maintains a database that associates article talk pages (and draft talk pages) with WikiProjects. This database powers many of the reports that Reports bot generates. However, until very recently, this database was not made available to others who might find its data useful. It's only common sense to open up the database and let others build tools with it.

And indeed: Citation Hunt, the game to add citations to Wikipedia, now lets you filter by WikiProject, using the data from our database.

Are you a tool developer interested in using this? Here are some details: the database resides on Tool Labs with the name s52475__wpx_p. The table that associates WikiProjects with articles and drafts is called projectindex. Pages are stored by talk page title but in the future this should change. Have fun!

On the horizon
  • The work on the CollaborationKit extension continues. The extension will initially focus on reducing template and Lua bloat on WikiProjects (especially our WPX UI demonstration projects), and will from there create custom interfaces for creating and maintaining WikiProjects.
  • The WikiCite meeting will be in Berlin in May. The goal of the meeting is to figure out how to build a bibliographic database for use on the Wikimedia projects. This fits in quite nicely with WikiProject X's work: we want to make it easier for people to find things to work on, and with a powerful, open bibliographic database, we can build recommendations for sources. This feature was requested by the Wikipedia Library back in September, and this meeting is a major next step. We look forward to seeing what comes out of this meeting.

Until next time,

Harej (talk) 01:29, 20 April 2016 (UTC)

Hi from Esino[edit]

Hoping to meet up with you today/tomorrow to talk about the WiG logo. I'm at Learning Days all day. :) --Rosiestep (talk) 11:31, 22 June 2016 (UTC)

@Rosiestep: Sure, I'm around the hackathon, and not really going to any sessions that I know of, unless I wind up at a 16:30 one today. Whenever works, really. Since these events are both only for people who signed up/by invitation only, though, it sounds like we'll need to meet somewhere else entirely? I don't even know. What do you think? -— Isarra 12:05, 22 June 2016 (UTC)
I'll probably be at the central plaza before and/or after dinner. No worries if that doesn't work for you. There's always tomorrow. --Rosiestep (talk) 13:00, 22 June 2016 (UTC)
Where is that? Is that where the registration is? Also I'm guessing from the fact that you renamed the section you noticed there be some bugs around duplicate section names... good thinking, though I'm also glad that happened in the first place, since it gave me the opportunity to file and complain about it. -— Isarra 13:47, 22 June 2016 (UTC)
Yes (registration area). Yes; buggy to have same header name; didn't know it's something one could complain about but thanks for doing so. --Rosiestep (talk) 14:02, 22 June 2016 (UTC)
You can complain about anything! Just need to find the right place, or someone who knows the right place. Which admittedly is a bit much to expect of the average editor. -— Isarra 14:10, 22 June 2016 (UTC)

Colorado Wiknic rescheduled to August 7[edit]

See details at Wikipedia:Meetup/Colorado/Wiknic/2016, the June date has been postponed.--Pharos (talk) 07:53, 24 June 2016 (UTC)

WikiProject X Newsletter • Issue 9[edit]

WikiProject X icon.svg
Newsletter • May / June 2016

Check out this month's issue of the WikiProject X newsletter, featuring the first screenshot of our new CollaborationKit software!

Harej (talk) 00:23, 25 June 2016 (UTC)

ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open![edit]

Scale of justice 2.svgHello, Isarra. Voting in the 2016 Arbitration Committee elections is open from Monday, 00:00, 21 November through Sunday, 23:59, 4 December to all unblocked users who have registered an account before Wednesday, 00:00, 28 October 2016 and have made at least 150 mainspace edits before Sunday, 00:00, 1 November 2016.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2016 election, please review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 22:08, 21 November 2016 (UTC)

Dammit, I forgot to run again. And I was going to have this great platform about not actually doing anything, and everything! -— Isarra 05:28, 22 November 2016 (UTC)

I saw this and thought of you[edit]

Unfortunately, what I saw is an image that is not (afiact) freely licensed so you will have make do with a URL to it: Thryduulf (talk) 17:18, 27 November 2016 (UTC)

Eeeee, that is great. -— Isarra 17:50, 27 November 2016 (UTC)

Svg version[edit]

Wondering if you could make an svg version of this[1]. Best Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 10:01, 20 February 2017 (UTC)

@Doc James: Do you have an svg source for the nowifi icon? -— Isarra 19:23, 20 February 2017 (UTC)
No but that is what I am wanting :-) Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 12:17, 21 February 2017 (UTC)
@Doc James: File:MedLogoNoWiFi.svg -— Isarra 20:40, 21 February 2017 (UTC)
Wonderful :-) Thank you. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 10:38, 22 February 2017 (UTC)
No problem. -— Isarra 18:30, 22 February 2017 (UTC)

WikiProject X Newsletter • Issue 10[edit]

WikiProject X icon.svg
Issue 10 of the WikiProject X newsletter is here!

This month, we discuss the new CollaborationKit extension. Here's an image as a teaser:

CollaborationKit screenshot CreateCollaborationHub.png

23:59, 3 March 2017 (UTC)


You're not an admin yet? Killiondude (talk) 23:56, 3 June 2017 (UTC)

I'd have to be an active user to begin with for that. -— Isarra 05:31, 10 July 2017 (UTC)


Hi Isarra,

I am a PhD student from the University of Minnesota, and I am doing research about WikiProjects. Recently, we are planning on a new project about WikiProject recommendation. I wonder if you would have a chance to take a look, and give me some feedback? The details can be found in the meta-page (I also posted it on WikiProject X talk page). Thank you in advance! Bowen Bobo.03 (talk) 00:29, 5 July 2017 (UTC)

Interesting. I'll see if I can give it a proper look soon. -— Isarra 05:31, 10 July 2017 (UTC)

Promote the pie?[edit]

There are currently no candidates for the arbcom elections this year (WP:ACE2017), leaving the perfect opportunity for you to spread some love of pies if you are interested. Thryduulf (talk) 10:23, 14 November 2017 (UTC)

YES. But first I need to actually reply to some serious stuff elsewhere. >.> -— Isarra 21:05, 17 November 2017 (UTC)
DAMMIT I got distracted and forgot and missed the window. Uh... next year. Next year I'll have more time. Yes. -— Isarra 22:27, 25 November 2017 (UTC)

ArbCom 2017 election voter message[edit]

Scale of justice 2.svgHello, Isarra. Voting in the 2017 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23.59 on Sunday, 10 December. All users who registered an account before Saturday, 28 October 2017, made at least 150 mainspace edits before Wednesday, 1 November 2017 and are not currently blocked are eligible to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2017 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:42, 3 December 2017 (UTC)

WikiProject X Newsletter • Issue 11[edit]

WikiProject X icon.svg
Newsletter • February 2018

Check out this month's issue of the WikiProject X newsletter, with plans to renew work with a followup grant proposal to support finalising the deployment of CollaborationKit!

-— Isarra 21:26, 14 February 2018 (UTC)


Hi Isarra - Is there a way for access to be granted for me to test Collaboration Kit as mentioned in Wikipedia:WikiProject X/Newsletter/Past issues/11? Hmlarson (talk) 21:44, 14 February 2018 (UTC)

So while at present, you can't yet test it directly on enwiki, if you want to try it out on testwiki, you can request admin rights at testwiki:Wikipedia:Requests, which should allow you to actually use testwiki:special:CreateCollaborationHub.
Not ideal, but it's where we're at right now. -— Isarra 21:53, 14 February 2018 (UTC)
Got it. Thanks, Hmlarson (talk) 19:55, 16 February 2018 (UTC)

Women in Red[edit]

Hi there, Isarra. Glad to see you've signed up as a member of Women in Red. I suppose you will be working mainly on Project X support rather than on writing biographies. The immediate priority is to change the label under the Worklists icon on the main WiR page to "Redlinks". In the meantime, as a result of several complaints from editors who have not been able to find our lists of redlinks, I have added something in the introduction to make them easier to find. Once you make the change, my addition can be removed. Please let me know if everything is clear. Happy editing and good luck with your grant application.--Ipigott (talk) 11:28, 21 February 2018 (UTC)

Yeah, I was mostly just testing out the signup to see what would happen. Apparently you noticed, is what happened. Anyway, I went ahead and swapped the links in the module template dealy, but per conversation with Rosiestep I'll be removing that complicated layout entirely in a bit. -— Isarra 17:42, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
I see you have opted for a more traditional approach, without all the icons. This will make it easier for us all to make further edits. Apparently you still have work to do so I'll wait to see how it looks in a day or two.--Ipigott (talk) 08:02, 22 February 2018 (UTC)
The icons may be worth keeping, just as general links to various subpages/whatever (like a tabbed header?) as opposed to a replacement ToC. I just got fed up and didn't do them in the main edit. And naw, since that was the main edit for this, I'd say go ahead and do whatever to it now. -— Isarra 21:56, 22 February 2018 (UTC)

April 2018 at Women in Red[edit]

Women in Red logo.svg
Welcome to Women in Red's April 2018 worldwide online editathons.

Focus on: April+Further with Art+Feminism Archaeology Military history (contest) Geofocus: Indian subcontinent

Continuing: #1day1woman Global Initiative

To subscribe: Women in Red/English language mailing list or Women in Red/international list. To unsubscribe: Women in Red/Opt-out list. Follow us on Twitter: @wikiwomeninred --Rosiestep (talk) 12:04, 29 March 2018 (UTC) via MassMessaging

Upcoming changes to wikitext parsing[edit]


There will be some changes to the way wikitext is parsed during the next few weeks. It will affect all namespaces. You can see a list of pages that may display incorrectly at Special:LintErrors. Since most of the easy problems have already been solved at the English Wikipedia, I am specifically contacting tech-savvy editors such as yourself with this one-time message, in the hope that you will be able to investigate the remaining high-priority pages during the next month.

There are approximately 10,000 articles (and many more non-article pages) with high-priority errors. The most important ones are the articles with misnested tags and table problems. Some of these involve templates, such as infoboxes, or the way the template is used in the article. In some cases, the "error" is a minor, unimportant difference in the visual appearance. In other cases, the results are undesirable. You can see a before-and-after comparison of any article by adding ?action=parsermigration-edit to the end of a link, like this: (which shows a difference in how {{infobox ship}} is parsed).

If you are interested in helping with this project, please see Wikipedia:Linter. There are also some basic instructions (and links to even more information) at You can also leave a note at WT:Linter if you have questions.

Thank you for all the good things you do for the English Wikipedia. Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 21:18, 19 April 2018 (UTC)

May 2018 at Women in Red[edit]

Women in Red logo.svg
Welcome to Women in Red's May 2018 worldwide online editathons.
Soraya Aghaee4.jpg

New: "Women of the Sea"

New: "Villains"

New: "Women in Sports"

New: "Central Eastern European women"

Continuing: #1day1woman Global Initiative

(To subscribe: Women in Red/English language mailing list and Women in Red/international list. Unsubscribe: Women in Red/Opt-out list) --Rosiestep (talk) 23:11, 29 April 2018 (UTC) via MassMessaging

Wiki Loves Food[edit]

Curd Rice

Hello! After the successful pilot program by Wikimedia India in 2015, Wiki Loves Food (WLF) is happening again in 2018 and this year, it's going International. To make this event a grand success, your direction is key. Please sign up here as a volunteer to bring all the world's food to Wikimedia. Danidamiobi (talk) 08:41, 7 May 2018 (UTC)

Women in Red June Editathons[edit]

Women in Red logo.svg
Welcome to Women in Red's June 2018 worldwide online editathons.

New: WiR Loves Pride

New: Singers and Songwriters

New: Women in GLAM

New: Geofocus: Russia/USSR

Continuing: #1day1woman Global Initiative

(To subscribe: Women in Red/English language mailing list and Women in Red/international list. Unsubscribe: Women in Red/Opt-out list)

--Megalibrarygirl (talk) 17:15, 29 May 2018 (UTC) via MassMessaging

Women in Red tools and technical support[edit]

We are preparing a list of tools and techncial support for Women in Red. I have tentatively added your name as you have provided assistance in improving our WiR webpage display. Please let me know whether you agree to be listed. You are of course welcome to make any additions or corrections.--Ipigott (talk) 07:15, 8 June 2018 (UTC)

Yeah, no worries. I'm totally slow at things, but I can probably at least point people in directions if need be. -— Isarra 19:41, 16 June 2018 (UTC)

Invitation to participate in study[edit]


I am E. Whittaker, an intern at Wikimedia with the Scoring Team to create a labeled dataset, and potentially a tool, to help editors deal with incivility when they encounter it on talk pages. A full write-up of the study can be found here: m:Research:Civil_Behavior_Interviews. We are currently recruiting editors to be interviewed about their experiences with incivility on talk pages. Would you be interested in being interviewed? I am contacting you because of your involvement in Wikipedia’s Women in Red project. The interviews should take ~1 hour, and will be conducted over BlueJeans (which does allow interviews to be recorded). If, so, please email me at in order to schedule an interview.

Thank you Ewitch51 (talk) 23:02, 22 June 2018 (UTC)

A barnstar for you![edit]

Special Barnstar Hires.png The Special Barnstar
You're a hero of Wikipedia! Barnstar Rewarder (talk) 11:32, 27 June 2018 (UTC)

July 2018 at Women in Red[edit]

Women in Red logo.svg
Hello again from Women in Red!

July 2018 worldwide online editathons:
New: Sub-Saharan Africa Film + stage 20th-century Women Rock
Continuing: Notable women, broadly-construed!

Latest headlines, news, and views on the Women in Red talkpage (Join the conversation!):

(To subscribe: Women in Red/English language mailing list and Women in Red/international list. Unsubscribe: Women in Red/Opt-out list) --Rosiestep (talk) 14:04, 28 June 2018 (UTC) via MassMessaging

August 2018 at Women in Red[edit]

Women in Red logo.svg
An exciting new month for Women in Red!

August 2018 worldwide online editathons:
New: Indigenous women Women of marginalized populations Women writers Geofocus: Bottom 10
Continuing: #1day1woman Global Initiative
Notable women, broadly-construed!

For the first time, this month we are trying out our Monthly achievement initiative

  • All creators of new biographies can keep track of their progress and earn virtual awards.
  • It can be used in conjunction with the above editathons or for any women's biography created in August.
  • Try it out when you create your first biography of the month.

Latest headlines, news, and views on the Women in Red talkpage (Join the conversation!):

(To subscribe: Women in Red/English language mailing list and Women in Red/international list. Unsubscribe: Women in Red/Opt-out list) --Rosiestep (talk) 11:22, 23 July 2018 (UTC) via MassMessaging

Your GIE usage at MediaWiki:Common.css[edit]

Hello Isarra,

Regarding the discussion you started to elicit feedback, but then concluded a few hours later with a "Screw it I'm just going to..." comment before editing MediaWiki:Common.css - It is at best rather poor form for using your global access on this non-urgent issue and is out of line with the "Please discuss changes before implementing" note on the top of that talk page. While a lack of opposition may be sufficient to enact a change, a reasonable amount of time should first be given and a few hours is not reasonable. Please take this note seriously, and ensure that you abide by community guidelines in the future. — xaosflux Talk 23:42, 2 August 2018 (UTC)

@Xaosflux: After discussing it on IRC, I realised there was no functional change involved for any skin besides Timeless, and thus requiring others to spend their time on this after they'd already filed a task and waited for the support in the skin itself seemed be a bit silly. Was this reasoning faulty, or should I just try to explain myself better in the future? -— Isarra 05:14, 3 August 2018 (UTC)
...also this actually matters, because making local fixes for Timeless is literally why I was granted GIE in the first place. I'll be the first to admit that explaining things is not exactly one of my strong suits, though. -— Isarra 05:21, 3 August 2018 (UTC)
Hi Isarra, with the whole new "interface editors" change about to occur there are some community members a bit worried (though I personally think overly) about community control (see this if you want to dive in to that pond), so please just take caution to explain what is going on when editing core pages like common.css/common.js/etc. Including links to off-wiki tracking such as a phabricator ticket is always useful if it exists. Even a 24-hour wait with no objections may be enough for something minor like this. Best regards, — xaosflux Talk 12:55, 3 August 2018 (UTC)
I don't think a 24h wait period makes sense or is what's in the best interests of the project. Isarra is a MediaWiki developer - she knows what she's doing. In this case, she did her research and consulted others (via IRC) before making the change - I think that's the process we want to encourage. If it were a non-technical admin being asked to copy some CSS into Common.css, then yeah, I think a 24h waiting period seems reasonable - but that wasn't what happened here. I do agree with you that a Phabricator/Gerrit link in the edit summary would have been helpful. Legoktm (talk) 17:57, 3 August 2018 (UTC)
@Legoktm: I don't think it should always be needed - just that it would be reasonably safe. When specifically opening an on-wiki discussion to elicit feedback on a change, time should be allowed for a response on-wiki. — xaosflux Talk 18:08, 3 August 2018 (UTC)
I do that sort of thing a lot - start to open something, and then realise later it probably wasn't necessary to begin with. I'll try to be more clear about these things in general, though. -— Isarra 19:12, 3 August 2018 (UTC)

September 2018 at Women in Red[edit]

Women in Red logo.svg
September is an exciting new month for Women in Red's worldwide online editathons!

New: Women currently in academics Women + Law Geofocus: Hispanic countries

Continuing: #1day1woman Global Initiative

Check it out: Monthly achievement initiative

  • All creators of new biographies can keep track of their progress and earn virtual awards.
  • It can be used in conjunction with the above editathons or for any women's biography created in September.
  • Try it out when you create your first biography of the month.

Latest headlines, news, and views on the Women in Red talkpage (Join the conversation!):

(To subscribe: Women in Red/English language mailing list and Women in Red/international list. Unsubscribe: Women in Red/Opt-out list) --Rosiestep (talk) 01:55, 26 August 2018 (UTC) via MassMessaging

Mass message right[edit]

Wikipedia mass messenger.svg

Hello. Your account has been granted the "massmessage-sender" user right, allowing you to send messages to multiple users at once. A few important things to note:

  • Messages should only be sent to groups of users who are likely to be interested in the topic.
  • For regular mailings such as those for WikiProjects, localized events, or newsletters, users should be informed of how they can unsubscribe from future mailings.
  • The mass messaging tool should never be used for canvassing with the intention of influencing the outcome of discussions.

For more information, refer to the guidance for use. If you do not want mass message sender rights anymore, just let me or any other administrator know and we will remove it. Thank you and happy editing! Killiondude (talk) 23:04, 30 August 2018 (UTC)

@Killiondude: MUAHAHAH actually that's pretty useful info. Thanks. -— Isarra 23:13, 30 August 2018 (UTC)

WikiProject X Newsletter • Issue 12[edit]

WikiProject X icon.svg
Newsletter • August 2018

This month: WikiProject X: The resumption

Work has resumed on WikiProject X and CollaborationKit, backed by a successfully funded Project Grant. For more information on the current status and planned work, please see this month's issue of the newsletter!

-— Isarra 22:24, 30 August 2018 (UTC)

Oops, that's my other project Get back to work on the important things. *whipcrack* --Izno (talk) 23:34, 30 August 2018 (UTC)

@Izno: They're both important! -— Isarra 23:39, 30 August 2018 (UTC)
I want my Timeless better nowwwww. --Izno (talk) 23:40, 30 August 2018 (UTC)
Well too bad! -— Isarra 15:39, 31 August 2018 (UTC)
 :( --Izno (talk) 16:16, 31 August 2018 (UTC)
...we're working on it. -— Isarra 20:10, 31 August 2018 (UTC)
It's okay, I'm just ribbing ~ --Izno (talk) 20:50, 31 August 2018 (UTC)
I know, I know. I guess I mostly just wanted to come back with some actually fixed things and was a tad disappointed in what I found... this stuff is fun. -— Isarra 20:54, 31 August 2018 (UTC)
The magical self-made software. ;) --Izno (talk) 21:06, 31 August 2018 (UTC)

October 2018 at Women in Red[edit]

Women in Red logo.svg
Please join us... We have four new topics for Women in Red's worldwide online editathons in October!

New: Clubs Science fiction + fantasy STEM The Mediterranean

Continuing: #1day1woman Global Initiative

(To subscribe: Women in Red/English language mailing list and Women in Red/international list. Unsubscribe: Women in Red/Opt-out list) --Rosiestep (talk) 14:46, 28 September 2018 (UTC) via MassMessaging

Get ready for November with Women in Red![edit]

Women in Red logo.svg
Three new topics for WiR's online editathons in November, two of them supporting other initiatives

New: Religion Deceased politicians Asia

Continuing: #1day1woman Global Initiative

Latest headlines, news, and views on the Women in Red talkpage (Join the conversation!):

(To subscribe: Women in Red/English language mailing list and Women in Red/international list. Unsubscribe: Women in Red/Opt-out list)

--Megalibrarygirl (talk) 18:40, 14 October 2018 (UTC) via MassMessaging