Northern Highbush Blueberry
|Part of a series on|
Vaccinium corymbosum, the northern highbush blueberry, is a North American species of blueberry which has become a food crop of significant economic importance. It is native to eastern Canada and the eastern and southern United States, from Ontario east to Nova Scotia and south as far as Florida and eastern Texas. It is also naturalized in other places: Europe, Japan, New Zealand, the Pacific Northwest of North America, etc. Other common names include blue huckleberry, tall huckleberry, swamp huckleberry, high blueberry, and swamp blueberry.
Vaccinium corymbosum is a deciduous shrub growing to 6–12 feet (1.8–3.7 m) tall and wide. It is often found in dense thickets. The dark glossy green leaves are elliptical and up to 5 centimetres (2.0 in) long. In autumn, the leaves turn to a brilliant red, orange, yellow, and/or purple.
In natural habitats it is a food source for native and migrating birds, bears, and small mammals.
Vaccinium corymbosum is the most common commercially grown blueberry in present day North America.
Southern highbush blueberry
Some named Southern highbush blueberry are hybridized forms derived from crosses between V. corymbosum and Vaccinium darrowii, a native of the Southeastern U.S. These hybrids and other cultivars of V. darrowii (Southern highbush blueberry) have been developed for cultivation in warm southern and western regions of North America.
- The Plant List, Vaccinium corymbosum L.
- Biota of North America Program 2014 county distribution map
- Taxonomic account from Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) — for Vaccinium corymbosum (highbush blueberry)
- Vaccinium corymbosum. accessed 3.23.2013
- GRIN . accessed 3.23.2013
- Gough, Robert Edward (1994). The highbush blueberry and its management. Psychology Press. p. 3. ISBN 978-1-56022-021-3. Retrieved 2011-04-29.
- Flora of North America, Vaccinium corymbosum Linnaeus, 1753. High-bush blueberry, bleuet en corymbe
- Missouri Botanical Garden: Kemper Center for Home Gardening — Vaccinium corymbosum . accessed 3.23.2013
- University of Michigan at Dearborn — Native American Ethnobotany of Vaccinium corymbosum . accessed 9.9.2015
- Hort.uconn.edu: Vaccinium corymbosum; Landscape use section . accessed 3.23.2013
- Hort.uconn.edu: Vaccinium corymbosum; Cultivars/varieties section . accessed 3.23.2013
- "RHS Plant Selector - Vaccinium corymbosum 'Duke'". Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Vaccinium corymbosum 'Spartan'". Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- eXtension: Southern Highbush Blueberry Varieties
- Four Winds Growers: Care of southern highbush blueberries
- United States Department of Agriculture Plants Profile for Vaccinium corymbosum (highbush blueberry)
- Species account and photographs from Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Native Plant Information Network (NPIN)
- Germplasm Resources Information Network—GRIN: Vaccinium corymbosum
- Gardenersite.com: Vaccinium corymbosum cultivar 'Reka'
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vaccinium corymbosum.|