Valencia High School (Placentia, California)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016)|
|Valencia High School|
|500 North Bradford Avenue
Placentia, CA 92870
|School district||Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District|
|Assistant principals||Olivia Yaung , Nancy Watkins|
|Number of students||2,500|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Empire League|
High School in Placentia, California, was established in 1933. The high school originally shared buildings with Bradford Avenue Elementary School until 1964, when Bradford Elementary closed and Valencia High School became the sole occupant of the campus property. Until 1967, when El Dorado High School was built, Valencia was Placentia's only high school. Valencia High School is located at 500 North Bradford Avenue; coordinates 33.87622,-117.86929.
Today the school serves a student body of approximately 2,500 students. It is one of four high schools in the Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District. Beginning in the summer of 2010, Valencia underwent a series of renovations and construction projects, including a new 17-classroom building, modernized school breezeway and administration building, and new bleachers at Bradford Stadium. A modernized "quad" was also among the list of projects, serving as a center of campus life and a common location of school activities. Funding for these improvements was provided by Measure A, which was approved by local voters in 2008.
The school's mascot is the Tiger, and its team colors are blue and gold.
The boy's tennis team won the 2012 CIF Championship. The girls won CIF three years in a row (2006, 2007, 2008). Also, boys' and girls' basketball dominated the Empire League in the 2008–09 season.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
- Héctor Ambriz, Pitcher for the Cleveland Indians.
- Michael Chang, U.S. Tennis Player.
- Beneil Dariush, professional MMA fighter currently fighting for the UFC.
- Chris Draft, NFL pro football player, Falcons/Giants/Panthers.
- Suzanne Enoch, romance novel author.
- Michele Granger, (Class of 1988), U.S. Olympic Gold Medal-winning softball player.
- Daryl Mallett (Class of 1986), author and actor.
- Linda Sánchez (Class of 1987), U.S. Congresswoman representing the 39th District of California.
- Julie Swail, U.S. Olympic Women's Water Polo team captain at 2000 Summer Olympics and Triathlete at the 2008 Summer Olympics.
- Chris Tidland, Professional Golfer (PGA Tour) Nationwide Tour.
- "Measure A". Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District. Retrieved 2012-07-19.
- "VHS has a CIF Boys Tennis championship". Valencia High School. 2012-04-23. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Hector Ambriz Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Chris Draft". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved December 3, 2012.