Vermont Street station
|Location||2300 West Grove Street
Blue Island, Illinois
|Owned by||City of Blue Island|
|Ticket Vending Machines
Vermont Street is a station on Metra's Rock Island District in Blue Island, Illinois, 16.4 miles (26.4 km) from LaSalle Street, the northern terminus of the line. In Metra's zone-based fare system, Vermont Street is in zone D.
Blue Island Station on the north side of Vermont Street is the western terminus of the Blue Island branch of the Metra Electric line. Vermont Street Station and Blue Island Station share the same parking facilities and the same bus connections. Although these two stations are across the street from each other and trains do not use the same platform areas, the proximity of the two to each other functionally allows riders to transfer from one to the other with only a very short walk (less than an eighth of a mile) between them.
Rock Island service was established in Blue Island in 1852, and the current brick station at Vermont Street replaced the original frame depot in 1868. The so-called "Suburban Line" splits from the main line here and runs at the base of the ridge serving stations in Blue Island and the Chicago neighborhoods of Morgan Park and Beverly before veering east to serve Brainard and reconnecting to the main line at the Gresham station at 87th and Vincennes. This branch line was created in 1889 thru the influence of the Blue Island Land and Building Company to serve its interests in the development of what was then the village of Morgan Park and carries most of the passenger traffic for the area, although some rush-hour trains travel north-east on the main line.
On July 12, 1971 the station began service to Amtrak trains. By the 1980s, the station became part of the Metra system.
There are four tracks: two on the main line and two on the Suburban Line.
49A - South Western
Pace "Route 348 – Riverdale Connector". PaceBus.com. Chicago: Pace Suburban Bus Service. "Route 349 – South Western". PaceBus.com. Chicago: Pace Suburban Bus Service. "Route 359 – Robbins / South Kedzie Avenue". PaceBus.com. Chicago: Pace Suburban Bus Service. "Route 385 – 87th / 111th / 127th". PaceBus.com. Chicago: Pace Suburban Bus Service.
- Metra Railfan Tips - Rock Island District
- Volp, John Henry (1938). The First Hundred Years - 1835–1935, an Historical Review of Blue Island, Illinois. Blue Island: Blue Island Publishing. p. 83.
- Blue Island Historic Preservation Commission Landmark Tour - Vermont Street Rock Island Depot
- "Chicago Real Estate - Some Large Transfers". Chicago Daily Tribune: 2. February 7, 1889.
- "EXCITED SUBURBANITES - WASHINGTON HEIGHTS OBJECTS TO FOOTING IT TO THE STATION - Rock Island Proposes to Moving the Dummy Tracks a Half a Mile West - Residents Say it is a Real Estate Scheme and Get an Injunction". Chicago Daily Tribune: 2. December 4, 1888.
- July 12, 1971 Amtrak Timetables
- Media related to Vermont Street (Metra) at Wikimedia Commons
- Metra – Stations – Vermont Street station
- Old image of former Rock Island Station (Rock Island Technical Society)
- Station from Vermont Street from Google Maps Street View
|This Illinois train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|