Vietnam Women's Memorial
|Vietnam Women's Memorial|
|Governing body||National Park Service|
The Vietnam Women's Memorial is a memorial dedicated to the nurses and women of the United States who served in the Vietnam War. It depicts three uniformed women with a wounded soldier and serves as a reminder of the important support and caregiving roles that women played in the war as nurses, air traffic controllers, communication specialists, etc. It is part of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and is located in National Mall in Washington D.C., a short distance south of The Wall and north of the Reflecting Pool.
Diane Carlson Evans, RN, a former Army nurse, founded the Vietnam Women's Memorial Project (now the Vietnam Women's Memorial Foundation) in 1984. The monument was designed by sculptor Glenna Goodacre and dedicated as part of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on November 11, 1993.
The memorial has been criticized for inaccuracy in that it depicts nurses giving medical care in the field. Such primary care was only given by medics and corpsmen, with nurses working in military hospitals behind the front lines.
- ^ a b c d Schmitt, Eric. "A Belated Salute to the Women Who Served." New York Times. Late ed. November 12, 1993. 1+.
- ^ a b c Biggins, Virginia. "Memorial to commemorate women in Vietnam War." Daily Press [Newport News, VA]. August 6, 1992.
- ^ "Reflect at the Vietnam Women's Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)". www.nps.gov. Retrieved 2020-12-26.
- ^ Haederle, Michael. "For the Forgotten." Los Angeles Times. April 29, 1992. E1+.
- ^ "Vietnam Women's Memorial". www.vietnamwomensmemorial.org. Retrieved 2020-12-26.
- ^ Kulik, Gary (2009). 'War Stories': False Atrocity Tales, Swift Boaters, and Winter Soldiers – What Really Happened in Vietnam. Potomac Books. p. 77. ISBN 1597976377.
- Vietnam Women's Memorial Foundation
- The women who died in the war
- Noonie Fortin's list of US women lost in Vietnam
- Donut Dollie Diary, a site about Susan McLean and Ginny Kirsch
- C-Span Video: Dedication ceremony
- Artworks in the collection of the National Park Service
- Monuments and memorials in Washington, D.C.
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- National Mall
- Nursing monuments and memorials
- Women in the United States military
- Military monuments and memorials in the United States
- Outdoor sculptures in Washington, D.C.
- 1993 sculptures
- Bronze sculptures in Washington, D.C.
- Monuments and memorials to women
- Sculptures of women in Washington, D.C.
- Sculptures of men in Washington, D.C.
- Statues in Washington, D.C.
- Washington, D.C., stubs
- Public art stubs