Eng Wah Global
|Industry||Media, entertainment, retail, hospitality|
|Goh Min Yen, Managing director
Goh Eng Wah, Chairman
|Products||Cinemas, Hotel Fort Canning|
Eng Wah Global is a Singaporean company spans entertainment, properties, hospitality, and lifestyle in Singapore and Malaysia.
- Eng Wah Global Pte Ltd is founded by Mr Goh Eng Wah. Its first cinemas were Happy Theatre and the open-air Victory Theatre, both in Happy World at Geylang began operating in 1945.
- In the 1960s, Mr Goh Eng Wah expanded his cinema chain to Raffles Hotel (Jubilee Hall) and King's Theatre at Tiong Bahru.
- In the 1970s & 1980s, it expanded to the new HDB towns in Toa Payoh, Ang Mo Kio, Clementi and Kallang and became the leading film exhibitor and distributor.
- On 7 July 1994, the cinema became the first operator to be listed in the SGX 1 as Eng Wah Organisation. At the same time, it also converts its single screen cinemas into entertainment centres at Ang Mo Kio, Toa Payoh and Clementi.
- In 1997 to 1999, the group again expanded its cinema chains to newer HDB towns in Bukit Batok, Pasir Ris and Sembawang. It also open its first cinema downtown at Suntec City.
- In 2002, it became the first cinema exhibitor in Singapore to implement an on-line loyalty programme named (Friends of Eng Wah) as well as providing the SMS-a-movie service.
- In 2003, the group is the first exhibitor outside of the USA to deploy a full 2K Digital Cinema system and first exhibitor in the world to commercially screen a full 2K-enabled digital movie.
- In 2004, the group have the most 2K Digital Cineplex in the world.
- In 2005, the group signed a deal with Crazy Horse but it closed in 2007.
- In 2007, the cinema is one of the first showcase 4D Digital cinema technology with Spiderman 3 on 1 May 2007 at Suntec City.
- In 2008, the group went through a reverse handover with Transcu and sold the properties to Mr Goh Eng Wah's company for $99.5 million.
- In early 2009, Its Sun Plaza outlet closes.
- In 2010, the group announced to spend $100 million to revamp the cinemas and opens Hotel Fort Canning. Toa Payoh and Ang Mo Kio Jubliee cinemas were closed down for mixed retails at the end of that year.
- In 2011, Eng Wah Cinemas rebrands itself as WE Cinemas following a renovation at Suntec City
- In 2012, West Mall shuts down.
- In 2013, Empress Cinema is being rebuilt as 321 Clementi. Meanwhile, Suntec City closes as the mall is undergoing renovations.
- In 2015, 321 Clementi opens.
- The group is the principal partner for the National Day Parade since 2007.
- The group is the first to pledge support to Singapore's bid for the Youth Olympics Games 2010.
- WE Cinemas hosted the F!rst Film Fest 2012 at Suntec City on 9 April 2012.
- WE Cinemas collaborated with Institute of Technical Education for the short film competition to mark its 1st birthday.
- Placed among the top 100 Asian companies in CIO Asia’s CIO 100 List. (2005)
- Best Service, Best Snack Bar, Best Sound – The Sunday Times (2006)
- SPBA Heritage Brand Award Winner (2006)
- Selected as one of the "100 Singapore Icons"; a representation of logos, symbols, trademarks and icons that are significant to Singapore’s social history and visual culture. (2010)
- THE DESTINASIAN LUXE LIST 2011.
- 2011 WINNER OF URA'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE AWARDS
Eng Wah Global Operations
WE Cinemas (Chinese 荣华戏院） is a Singaporean cinema operator managed by Eng Wah Global Pte Ltd. It was previously called Eng Wah Cinemas, but in 2011 it was rebranded as WE Cinemas.
WE Cinemas currently has 1 cinema in Singapore.
|Cinema||Screens/Halls||Seats||Location||Opening Year||2K Digital Hall||3D Digital Hall||First Class|
Former locations (as Eng Wah Cinemas)
|Cinema||Screens/Halls||Seats||Location||Opening Year||Closed Year|
|Jubilee||4||734||Ang Mo Kio||1975||2010|
|Suntec City||5||1085||Downtown Core||1998||2013|
|Toa Payoh Entertainment Centre||5||934||Toa Payoh||1975||2010|
|West Mall||6||1378||Bukit Batok||1998||2012|
|White Sands||4||800||Pasir Ris||1997||1999|
Eng Wah Global owns 2 hotel properties, one in Singapore and Malaysia respectively.
|Hotel Fort Canning||11 Canning Walk Singapore 178881||A boutique hotel opened in 2010 with 86 rooms|
|The Legends Golf & Resort Sdn Bhd||Lot 1302, Kebun Sedenak, Johor Darul Takzim, Malaysia||A club with complete range of sporting, leisure, entertainment and resort facilities.|
|Location||Ang Mo Kio, Singapore|
|No. of stores and services||23|
|No. of floors||4 floors|
|No. of stores and services||16|
|No. of floors||7|
Eng Wah Global owns 2 shopping malls located at the heartland town centres.
|321 Clementi||321 Clementi Avenue 3, Singapore 129905||Fitness First, WE Cinemas, Sakae Sushi, Saizeriya, Tea Tozz, Wimi Coconut Ice Cream and Mind Stretcher Learning Centre.|
|Jubilee Square||61 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, Singapore 569814||Gurney Drive, Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen, Popular Bookstore and education centres.|