|Wahidi Sultanate of Balhaf in Hadhramaut|
سلطنة الواحدي الحضرمية في بالحاف
|State of the Federation of South Arabia|
|Historical era||20th century|
Wahidi Balhaf (Arabic: واحدي بالحاف Wāḥidī Bālḥāf), or the Wahidi Sultanate of Balhaf in Hadhramaut (Arabic: سلطنة الواحدي الحضرمية في بالحافSalṭanat al-Wāḥidī Bālḥāf AlḤaḍramiyah), was one of several Wahidi states in the British Aden Protectorate. It was previously part of the Federation of Arab Emirates of the South, and then of its successor, the Federation of South Arabia when it was known simply as Wahidi.
Its capital was Balhaf on the Gulf of Aden coast and it included the inland town of Azzan (formerly the seat of a separate Wahidi Sultanate of Azzan). The Sultanate was abolished in 1967 upon the founding of the People's Republic of South Yemen and is now part of the Republic of Yemen.
The predecessor state, the Wahidi Sultanate (Saltanat al-Wahidiyya), was established at an uncertain date. In 1830 the Wahidi Sultanate split into four states:
- Wahidi Sultanate of Ba´l Haf (Saltanat Ba al-Haf al-Wahidiyya)
- Wahidi Sultanate of `Azzan (Saltanat `Azzan al-Wahidiyya)
- Wahidi Sultanate of Bi´r `Ali `Amaqin (Saltanat Bi'r `Ali `Amaquin al-Wahidiyya)
- Wahidi Sultanate of Habban (Saltanat Habban al-Wahidiyya)
On 4 May 1881 Ba´l Haf and `Azzan joined. In 1888 the Wahidi Sultanate of Ba´l Haf and `Azzan became a British protectorate. In 1895 Bi´r `Ali `Amaqin also came under British protection. On 23 Oct 1962 the joint sultanate was renamed Wahidi Sultanate (al-Saltana al-Wahidiyya), while Bi´r `Ali and Habban remained subordinate sultanates. On 29 Nov 1967 with the independence of the People's Republic of South Yemen all states were abolished.
Wahidi Sultanate of Ba´l Haf
The Sultans of the Wahidi Sultanate had the title of Sultan al-Wahidi.
- c.1640 - 1670 Salih ibn Nasir al-Wahidi
- c.1670 - 1706 al-Hadi ibn Salih al-Wahidi
- 1706 - 1766 al-Hasan ibn al-Hadi al-Wahidi
- 1766 - 1771 al-Husayn ibn al-Hasan al-Wahidi
- 1771 - 1771 Sa`id ibn al-Hasan al-Wahidi
- 1771 - 1810 Ahmad ibn al-Hadi al-Wahidi
- 1810 - 1830 `Abd Allah ibn Ahmad al-Wahidi
Wahidi Sultanate of Ba´l Haf
The Sultans of the Wahidi Sultanate of Ba´l Haf had the title of Sultan Ba al-Haf al-Wahidi.
- .... - .... Nasir ibn `Abd Allah
- .... - .... Ahmad ibn Nasir
- .... - .... Muhsin ibn `Ali
- .... - .... al-Husayn ibn `Abd Allah
- .... - .... `Abd Allah ibn al-Husayn
- .... - 1877 Ahmad ibn al-Husayn al-Wahidi
- 1877 - 1881 Salih ibn Ahmad
- 1881 - 4 May 1881 `Umar ibn al-Husayn al-Wahidi
Wahidi Sultanate of `Azzan
Sultans of the Wahidi Sultanate of `Azzan; title Sultan `Azzan al-Wahidi.
- 1830 - 18.. `Ali ibn Ahmad al-Wahidi
- 1850 - 1870 Muhsin ibn `Ali al-Wahidi
- 1870 - May 1881 `Abd Allah ibn `Umar al-Wahidi
Wahidi Sultanate of Ba´l Haf and `Azzan
Sultans of the Wahidi Sultanate of Ba´l Haf and `Azzan (from 1962 Wahidi Sultanate). Title Sultan Ba al-Haf wa `Azzan al-Wahidi; from 23 Oct 1962 Sultan al-Saltana al-Wahidiyya.
- May 1881 - Jan 1885 `Abd Allah ibn `Umar
- 15 Jan 1885 - 1892 al-Hadi ibn Salih al-Wahidi
- Ju 1892 - 1893 Muhsin ibn Salih al-Wahidi (1st time)
- 1893 - 1904 Salih ibn `Abd Allah al-Wahidi
- 14 Dec 1904 - Jan 1919 Muhsin ibn Salih al-Wahidi (2nd time)
- Jan 1919 - 1948 `Ali ibn al-Husayn al-Wahidi
- 1948 - 1948 `Ali ibn Muhsin al-Wahidi (uncertain)
- 1948 - 19 Feb 1967 Nasir ibn `Abd Allah al-Wahidi
Regent (title Hakim)
- 20 Feb 1967 - Aug 1967 `Ali ibn Muhammad ibn Sa`id al-Wahidi
- Paul Dresch. A History of Modern Yemen. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2000
- States of the Aden Protectorates