Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse
First edition cover art
|Editor||John Joseph Adams|
|Subject||Apocalypse, End of the world (fiction)|
|Genre||Science fiction, dystopia|
|Published||San Francisco: Nightshade Book, 2008|
The anthology includes 22 stories, plus an introduction by the editor. According to the anthology's official web site, "Wastelands explores the scientific, psychological, and philosophical questions of what it means to remain human in the wake of Armageddon." It received very positive reviews, with critics describing it as "belong[ing] in most sf or short fiction collections" and "a well-chosen selection of well-crafted stories, offering something to please nearly every postapocalyptic palate."
- Introduction by John Joseph Adams
- "The End of the Whole Mess" by Stephen King
- "Salvage" by Orson Scott Card
- "The People of Sand and Slag" by Paolo Bacigalupi
- "Bread and Bombs" by M. Rickert
- "How We Got In Town and Out Again" by Jonathan Lethem
- "Dark, Dark Were the Tunnels" by George R. R. Martin
- "Waiting for the Zephyr" by Tobias S. Buckell
- "Never Despair" by Jack McDevitt
- "When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth" by Cory Doctorow
- "The Last of the O-Forms" by James Van Pelt
- "Still Life With Apocalypse" by Richard Kadrey
- "Artie’s Angels" by Catherine Wells
- "Judgment Passed" by Jerry Oltion
- "Mute" by Gene Wolfe
- "Inertia" by Nancy Kress
- "And the Deep Blue Sea" by Elizabeth Bear
- "Speech Sounds" by Octavia E. Butler
- "Killers" by Carol Emshwiller
- "Ginny Sweethips’ Flying Circus" by Neal Barrett, Jr.
- "The End of the World as We Know It" by Dale Bailey
- "A Song Before Sunset" by David Grigg
- "Episode Seven: Last Stand Against the Pack in the Kingdom of the Purple Flowers" by John Langan
- "Appendix: For Further Reading" by John Joseph Adams
- "Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse". Publisher's Weekly (254.47). 26 November 2007.
- "Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse". OCLC Worldcat. OCLC. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- Cassada, Jackie (1 January 2008). "Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse". Library Journal. 133.1: 89.
- Schroeder, Regina (1 February 2008). "Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse". Booklist. 104 (11): 35.
- Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse: Official Web Site
- Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse on Amazon