4 December 1965|
Benoni, South Africa
16 August 2017 (aged 51)|
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Wayne Lotter (4 December 1965 – 16 August 2017) was a South African wildlife conservationist. Lotter was one of the co-founders of the PAMS Foundation, a not for profit conservation organisation based in Tanzania. Lotter also previously served as Vice President of the International Ranger Federation.
Having obtained a master's degree in conservation in 1990 Lotter began working in the non-profit and government wildlife protection sectors. He worked initially as a ranger in South Africa. He was a co-founder of the PAMS Foundation which trained thousands of young Africans in conservation. Lotter was involved in funding the National and Transnational Serious Crimes Investigation Unit in Tanzania which had successfully pursued a number of high-profile ivory traffickers.
Jane Goodall, a British primatologist, ethologist, anthropologist, and UN Messenger of Peace paid tribute to Lotter, whom she described as a "hero of mine" and "courageous". Tributes were also paid by other wildlife protection organisations.
Prince William, Duke of Cambridge also condemned the "violent and apparently targeted murder" of Lotter and expressed his "deepest condolences to Wayne's family and all those at PAMS Foundation for this senseless loss."
- "New thinking needed in the war on ivory poachers". ITV News. Retrieved 2017-08-22.
- "Wayne Lotter: Rights body calls for justice". www.ippmedia.com. Retrieved 2017-08-22.
- https://www.facebook.com/kevin.sieff. "Renowned anti-poaching leader slain by gunmen in Tanzania". Washington Post. Retrieved 2017-08-22.
- "The Global Fight for Tanzania's Elephants". Newsweek. 2015-10-22. Retrieved 2017-08-22.
- "Ex-KNP game ranger tackling poaching the unconventional way | Lowvelder". Lowvelder. 2017-03-10. Retrieved 2017-08-22.
- "SA conservationist killed in Tanzania after almost a decade of death threats". News24. Retrieved 2017-08-22.
- "Anti-poaching activist Wayne Lotter shot dead in Tanzania". ITV News. Retrieved 2017-08-22.
- "Wayne Lotter". Retrieved 2017-08-22.
- "Obituary: Wayne Lotter was killed on August 16th". The Economist. 31 Aug 2017.
- "Wayne Lotter: Remembering a Wildlife Hero & Friend". Jane Goodall's Good for All News. 2017-08-18. Retrieved 2017-08-22.
- Hauser, Christine (2017-08-18). "Crusader Who Saved Elephants From Poachers Is Shot Dead in Tanzania". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-08-22.
- Downes, Azzedine. "Conservation loses one of its best". IFAW - International Fund for Animal Welfare. Retrieved 2017-08-22.