Weather with You
|"Weather with You"|
|Single by Crowded House|
|from the album Woodface|
|Format||CD, 7", Cassette|
|Recorded||1989, Periscope Studios, Melbourne|
|Songwriter(s)||Neil Finn, Tim Finn|
|Producer(s)||Mitchell Froom, Neil Finn|
|Crowded House singles chronology|
"Weather with You" is a song by rock band Crowded House. It was the third and most successful single released from the group's third studio album Woodface (1991), reaching top 50 in ten countries, including the United Kingdom, where it reached number seven. The song was intended to be part of the Finn Brothers' unreleased 1990 debut, but after Capitol Records found the recordings, they were merged with a Crowded House session to become Woodface.
In 1996 Crowded House disbanded, releasing a greatest hits album Recurring Dream in June of that year. "Weather with You" was made the album's first track. Later in the year, the band reunited for one final performance at the Sydney Opera House and performed the song again, calling upon ex-member Tim Finn, who originally performed the song with the group, to join the group onstage. This live performance was not included on the VHS release of the concert, but it was shown on television broadcast and also appeared on the 10 year anniversary DVD entitled Farewell to the World.
In 1998, Neil Finn was asked by Bill DeYoung if there was a real place called Mount Pleasant Street.
There's actually lots of them. My sister used to live in Mount Pleasant Road in Auckland, but it wasn't Number 57. The number she was at didn’t sound very musical.
Tim had the lines "Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you" and also "Walking round the room singing 'Stormy Weather'" and that was the extent of it, really. We just imagined the scenario. That was a classic case of imagining a room that a thing was taking place in, and a guy with a bit of ennui, having lost somebody, you know?" – Neil Finn talking about "Weather with You"
He went on to say, "Ultimately, the theme of the song is of course, that you are creating your own weather, you are making your own environment, always."
Cover versions and live performances
In 2001 Neil and Tim Finn performed the song during the week-long concert series that was captured on the CD/DVD 7 Worlds Collide.
In 2003, the song was covered by vocalist/fiddle player Andrea Zonn for her album Love Goes On.
In 2015 the song was included in the soundtrack of the film Everest (2015). More specifically the song was played in the scene during a party in base camp, the night before the crew started the climbing of the Mount Everest.
In 2016 Crowded House played the song on the steps of the Sydney Opera House as the first song of their encore.
The music video for "Weather with You" was filmed after Tim Finn's departure. The video features the remaining members, Neil Finn, Paul Hester and Nick Seymour, at various beaches in Victoria, Australia (including Queenscliff) driving in cars including a Fiat 600 Multipla towing a small "Sports Minor" caravanette and a Ford Thunderbird "Bullet Bird" convertible.
UK 7" vinyl and cassette
- "Weather with You" (single edit) - 4:17
- "Into Temptation" - 4:35
- "Weather with You" (single edit) - 4:17
- "Mr. Tambourine Man" (Bob Dylan) (live) - 2:35
- "Eight Miles High" (Gene Clark, Jim McGuinn and David Crosby) (live) - 4:50
- "So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star" (Jim McGuinn, Chris Hillman) (live) - 2:49
Australian & UK alternative CD Live tracks recorded at The Town & Country Club, London, November 9-10-1991, exclusive to this release
- "Weather with You" (radio edit) - 3:46
- "Fall at Your Feet" (live) - 6:59
- "When You Come" (live) - 6:22
- "Walking on the Spot" (live) - 3:23
- "Weather with You" (single edit) – 4:17
- "Into Temptation" (live) – 4:43
- "Don't Dream It's Over" (live) – 4:27
- "Recurring Dream" (original Version) – 2:59
Netherlands "Outlaw Remixes" CD The "Outlaw Remixes", mixed at Platinum Studios, Melbourne. Produced and remixed by The Outlaw.
- "Weather with You" (Remix full version)
- "Weather with You" (Remix full version without Tim Finn)
- "Weather with You" (Single mix. No breakdown)
- "Weather with You" (Neil Finn's Edit)
Japan CD "Walking on the Spot" recorded at The Town & Country Club, London, 10 November 1991 (previously unreleased in Japan); "Don't Dream It's Over" recorded at The Roxy, Los Angeles, 26 February 1987; "Something So Strong" recorded at The Trocadero, Philadelphia, 24 March 1987; "Mr. Tambourine Man" recorded with Roger McGuinn at The Pantages Theater, Los Angeles, 7 April 1989 (however label indicates 7 July 1989 incorrectly).
- "Weather with You" – 4:02
- "Walking on the Spot" (live) – 4:13
- "Don't Dream It's Over" (live) – 5:53
- "Something So Strong" (live) – 4:02
- "Mr. Tambourine Man" (live) – 2:35
US promotional CD
- "Weather with You" (Radio Edit) – 3:46
- "Weather with You" (LP version) - 3:44
US CD single All live tracks recorded at The Town & Country Club, London, England, 9–10 November 1991."Walking on the Spot" was previously unreleased in the US.
- "Weather with You" (Radio Edit) - 3:46
- "Walking on the Spot" (live)
- "Don't Dream It's Over" (live)
- "Better Be Home Soon" (live)
- "World Where You Live" (live)
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||9|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||34|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||23|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||10|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||9|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||8|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||7|
- DeYoung, Bill (20 July 2015). "Whistling This: Neil Finn (1998)". BillDeYoung.com. Retrieved 24 August 2017.
- Vink, Amy (22 March 2016). "10 songs inspired by the weather" (in German). Artiesten Nieuws. Retrieved 24 August 2017.
- Buffett, Jimmy. "Take the Weather With You: Stories Behind the Songs". Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. Margaritaville. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Australian-charts.com – Crowded House – Weather with You". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Crowded House – Weather with You" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 2109." RPM. Library and Archives Canada.
- "Lescharts.com – Crowded House – Weather with You" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Crowded House Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Weather with You". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Crowded House – Weather with You" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.nz – Crowded House – Weather with You". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swisscharts.com – Crowded House – Weather with You". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Crowded House: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.