West Hills High School
|West Hills High School|
|8756 Mast Boulevard
Santee, California 92071
|Type||Public comprehensive secondary|
|Motto||We are one, we are the Pack|
|School district||Grossmont Union High School District|
|Enrollment||2,250 (2006-2007 school year)|
|Color(s)||Silver, royal blue, and black|
|Mascot||Wolfie & Wolfette|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Website||West Hills High School|
West Hills High School (WHHS) is a public, comprehensive high school located in Santee, California, and serves students in grades nine through twelve. Opened in 1987, West Hills is the eleventh of thirteen high schools to be constructed in the Grossmont Union High School District which serves the east county area of San Diego County.
West Hills High opened as a satellite campus for Santana High School in 1985 to accommodate the overcrowding. Freshmen took classes in the morning, then were bused back to Santana for afternoon classes. On September 7, 1987, West Hills High School opened its doors to a new class of freshmen and officially became the district's 10th high school. The first phase of permanent construction was completed just prior to the 1990-91 school year. In June 1991 the first graduating class held its graduation ceremony at San Diego State University.
- 1985 - West Hills High opens as a satellite of Santana High School.
- 1987 - West Hills High School opens with 14 teachers and 320 freshmen.
- 1988 - Cross Country runners Josh Hutton and Amanda Locke become the first ever state qualifiers at West Hills in any sport.
- 1989 - Construction began on the 87-acre (350,000 m2) campus, to be completed in two phases.
- 1990 - First Phase of construction is completed. It includes the Gym, Library, Science Building, and other buildings.
- 1990 - West Hills Wolf Pack Football wins first league championship.
- 1991 - First graduating class.
- 1995 - West Hills Wolf Pack Boys Cross Country wins first of four straight CIF section championships ('95,'96,'97,'98)
- 1998 - West Hills Wolf Pack Football wins first back to back league championships ('97 and '98)
- 1999 - Principal Marge Cole is reassigned after 74% of the faculty sign a letter of no confidence in her management style.
- 1999 - Jim Peabody becomes the new principal.
- 2000 - Teammates Evan Fox and Ben Aragon place 1st and 4th in the mile at the California State Track and Field Championships.
- 2003 - Mike Lewis becomes the new principal.
- 2005 - Brian Wilbur becomes the new principal.
- 2007 - Graduating class of '07 celebrated the 20th anniversary of West Hills High School.
- 2008 - Patrick Keeley becomes the new principal.
- 2009 - Girls Basketball win San Diego Division II CIF Championship to win the first section championship in Girls Basketball.
- 2011 - Paul Dautremont becomes the new principal.
- 2012 - WHHS's new swimming pool is officially unveiled.
- 2013 - WHHS introduces Wolfette, a second mascot.
- 2015 - Robin Ballarin becomes the new Principal. She began her full-time teaching career at WHHS, received her Administration Credential and became Assistant Principal, then was appointed Director of Curriculum at Grossmont Union School District, before being hired as WHHS Principal.
West Hill's athletic teams, the Wolf Pack, compete in the Hills League of the Grossmont Conference and the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) San Diego Section.
The school fields teams in the following sports: baseball, boys basketball, girls basketball, cheerleading, boys cross country, girls cross country, football, boys golf, girls golf, gymnastics, roller hockey, boys soccer, girls soccer, softball, swimming, boys tennis, girls tennis, track & field, boys volleyball, girls volleyball, boys water polo, girls water polo, and wrestling
There are a wide variety of clubs active during lunch and after school at West Hills High School.
- Stephen Strasburg, 2006, first overall pick in the 2009 MLB draft, pitcher for Washington Nationals
- Dat Phan, 1993, Last Comic Standing winner (Season 1)
- Mega64, 2002, Internet comedy troupe consisting of Rocco Botte, Derrick Acosta and Shawn Chatfield.
- Priscilla Mendez, 2009, The Real World: San Diego 2011
- Bronte D'Acquisto, 2008, Big Brother 18 (U.S.)
- Fabian J. Holzer, 1997, Austrian TV Producer, Exchange Student at WHHS in 1994
- Jones, Harry. The Tribune. San Diego, Calif.: Apr 16, 1987. pg. B.5
- Jackson, Irene. The San Diego Union. San Diego, Calif.: Sep 10, 1987. pg. II.1
- Harpster, David. San Diego Tribune. San Diego, Calif.: Sep 7, 1990. pg. B.1
- Ragan, Tom. San Diego Tribune. San Diego, Calif.: Jun 21, 1991. pg. B.6.4.5
- West Hills High School Student Handbook, p 2.
- Frawley, Karen. The San Diego Union. San Diego, Calif.: Nov 22, 1988. pg. C.3
- Cour,Paul. The Tribune. San Diego, Calif.: Dec 23, 1988. pg. B.14
- Gembrowski, Susan. Controversial principal to be reassigned. The San Diego Union - Tribune. San Diego, Calif.: May 25, 1999. pg. B.3
- Shanahan, Tom. The San Diego Union - Tribune. San Diego, Calif.: Jun 4, 2000. pg. C.17
- "WEST HILLS HIGH SCHOOL UNVEILS SWIMMING POOL". U-T San Diego. 04/14/12. Retrieved 7 June 2012. Check date values in: