Westbury (LIRR station)
Westbury Station on Union Avenue
|Location||Union Avenue & Post Avenue
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections||Nassau Inter-County Express: n22, n35|
|Rebuilt||1883, 1914, 1972, c. 2001–2005|
|Electrified||October 19, 1970
750 V (DC) third rail
Westbury is a station on the Long Island Rail Road's Main Line. All trains for the Port Jefferson Branch and Ronkonkoma Branch run through it, though only some trains on the Port Jefferson branch stop (and only a few on the Ronkonoma Branch do). It is located at Union and Post Avenues in Westbury, New York. It is 23.4 miles (37.7 km) from Penn Station. The station is fully wheelchair accessible. It has two side platforms and two tracks.
Westbury station was built sometime in March 1837 with the opening of the LIRR to Hicksville. The station was closed between June and September of the same year, briefly replaced by the nearby Carle Place station. Throughout much of the mid-19th Century, the J.P. Kelsey Branch Store served as the depot. The second station was built between April and June, 1883. The third station was built in 1914, and was electrified in October 1970, along with the rest of the Port Jefferson Branch between Mineola and Huntington Stations. It had a major remodeling around 1972, and another one sometime between 2001 and 2005. In 2000, a woman was stabbed to death in the underpass beneath the tracks.
Post Avenue Bridge replacement
The station is located next to a bridge over Post Avenue that had an 11-foot-10-inch (3.61 m) clearance that was installed during the 1914 rebuild. During much of the early 21st Century the bridge was hit by between five and nine high trucks between 2010 and 2016, causing numerous train delays in both directions. On October 21 and 22, 2017, the LIRR suspended service between Mineola and Hicksville replacing it with bustitution, in order to replace the old bridge with a new bridge that had a 14-foot (4.3 m) clearance and a capacity of three tracks. Service was restored ahead of schedule. Despite the fact that the previous bridge was 103 years old, and suffered dozens of collisions with trucks, it was still considered to be in good condition.
This station has two high-level side platforms, each 12 cars long.
|G||Ground level||Exit/entrance, parking, buses|
|Platform A, doors will open on the right|
|Track 1||← Ronkonkoma Branch toward Jamaica, Atlantic or Penn (Carle Place)
← Port Jefferson Branch toward Jamaica, Atlantic or Penn (Carle Place)
← Montauk Branch does not stop here
|Track 2||Port Jefferson Branch toward Hicksville, Huntington or Port Jeff (Hicksville) →
Ronkonkoma Branch toward Farmingdale or Ronkonkoma (Hicksville) →
Montauk Branch does not stop here →
|Platform B, doors will open on the right|
- Average weekday, 2006 LIRR Origin and Destination Study
- Westbury Hempstead - Carle Place (Arrt's Arrchives)
- The Long Island Rail Road: The age of expansion, 1863-1880 Vincent Seyfried; Page 188
- Bamberger, Werner (October 20, 1970). "Change at Jamaica Is Only a Memory For 12,000 Riders". The New York Times. p. 88. Retrieved 2009-09-17.
- LIRR station History (TrainsAreFun.com)
- Robert Gearty (June 15, 2000). "BOYFRIEND CHARGED IN TRAIN STATION SLAY ARGUMENT LEADS TO FATAL STABBING IN WESTBURY". Daily News. New York. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Westbury’s Post Avenue Bridge Replaced Ahead of Schedule (MTA Newsletter; October 23, 2017)
- Media related to Westbury (LIRR station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Official LIRR station information page for Westbury
- Station timetable for Westbury
- Unofficial LIRR History Website
- Old Westury Station with Shelter and Freight House (TrainsAreFun.com)
- Post Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Station House on Union Avenue from Google Maps Street View
- Inside Station House from Google Maps Street View
- Platforms from Google Maps Street View