When the Last Sword Is Drawn
|When the Last Sword Is Drawn|
Theatrical poster for When the Last Sword Is Drawn (2003)
|Directed by||Yōjirō Takita|
|Produced by||Nozomu Enoki
|Screenplay by||Takehiro Nakajima|
|Based on||When the Last Sword Is Drawn
by Jiro Asada
|Music by||Joe Hisaishi|
|Edited by||Nobuko Tomita|
When the Last Sword Is Drawn (壬生義士伝 Mibu Gishi Den) is a 2002 Japanese movie directed by Yōjirō Takita loosely based on real historical events. When the Last Sword Is Drawn won the Best Film award at the 2004 Japanese Academy Awards, as well as the prizes for Best Actor (Kiichi Nakai) and Best Supporting Actor (Kōichi Satō). It received a further eight nominations.
The film tells the story of two Shinsengumi samurai. One of them is Saitō Hajime (played by Kōichi Satō), a heartless killer and the other is Yoshimura Kanichiro (played by Kiichi Nakai), who appears to be a money-grabbing and emotional swordsman from the northern area known as Nambu Morioka. The main storyline is set during the fall of the Tokugawa shogunate, but it is told in a series of flashbacks as two characters reminisce. The themes include conflicting loyalty to the clan, lord, and family.
More than just a story of swordplay, it is the story of a man willing to do anything for the good of his family, even if it means never being able to see them.
- Kiichi Nakai — Yoshimura Kanichiro
- Kōichi Satō — Saitō Hajime
- Yui Natsukawa — Shizu/Mitsu
- Takehiro Murata — Ono Chiaki
- Miki Nakatani — Nui
- Yuji Miyake — Ohno Jiroemon
- Eugene Nomura — Hijikata Toshizo
- Masato Sakai — Okita Soji
- Atsushi Itō — Young Chiaki Ono
- Kanji Tsuda — Ōkubo Toshimichi
- Hideaki Itō — Tokugawa Yoshinobu
- Infobox data from 壬生義士伝 (in Japanese). Japanese Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-05-16. and Mibu gishi den (2003) on IMDb
- "Box office / business for When the Last Sword is Drawn (2002)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2016-11-16.
- "Mibu gishi den". Boxofficemojo.com. Retrieved 2016-11-16.
- "Awards for Mibu gishi den (2003)" (in Japanese). Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- Mibu gishi den (2003) on IMDb
- Mibu gishiden at AllMovie
- 壬生義士伝 (in Japanese). Japanese Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- "MIBU GISHI DEN". Complete Index to World Film. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- 壬生義士伝 (in Japanese). Walkerplus.com. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- 壬生義士伝(2002) (in Japanese). Allcinema.net. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- 壬生義士伝 (in Japanese). Variety Japan. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
|This article related to a Japanese film of the 2000s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|