Always Sanchōme no Yūhi
|Always san-chōme no yūhi|
Theatrical poster for Always Sanchōme no Yūhi (2005)
|Directed by||Takashi Yamazaki|
|Produced by||Chikahiro Ando
|Written by||Ryôhei Saigan (manga)
Takashi Yamazaki (screenplay)
|Music by||Naoki Sato|
|Edited by||Ryuji Miyajima|
Always: Sunset on Third Street (ALWAYS 三丁目の夕日 Ōruweizu: San-chōme no Yūhi?) is a 2005 Japanese film co-written and directed by the Japanese filmmaker Takashi Yamazaki, based on Ryōhei Saigan's long-running manga Sanchōme no Yūhi. It was chosen as Best Film at the Japan Academy Prize ceremony.
|This article needs an improved plot summary. (May 2008)|
The plot takes place in a small community in post-war Tokyo, and follows some of the residents over one year as Tokyo Tower is being built.
Norifumi Suzuki runs a small auto repair shop, where he lives with his wife and son. A young girl from Aomori prefecture, comes to live with them and work as Suzuki's apprentice.
Ryūnosuke Chagawa lives across the street and runs a small shop out of his house. He writes serial novels called "Shōnen Bōken-dan" ("The Young Boys Adventure Club").
Despite the difficulties in the characters' lives, the film has many light-hearted moments; a nostalgia for post-war Japanese "good old days".
The film ranked 15th at the Japanese box office in 2005 , and won 12 prizes at the 2006 Japanese Academy Awards, including the awards for Best Film, Director, Actor and Screenplay. It also won the audience award at the 2006 New York Asian Film Festival.
- Maki Horikita as Mutsuko Hoshino, the apprentice
- Hidetaka Yoshioka as Ryunosuke Chagawa, the writer
- Shinichi Tsutsumi as Norifumi Suzuki, the mechanic
- Koyuki as Hiromi Ishizaki, sake bar owner
- Hiroko Yakushimaru as Tomoe Suzuki, the mechanic's wife
- Kazuki Koshimizu as Ippei Suzuki, the mechanic's son
- Kenta Suga as Junnosuke Furuyuki, the abandoned boy
Notes and references
- Always Sanchōme no Yūhi at the Internet Movie Database
- Official website (Japanese)
- Always Sanchōme no Yūhi (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- Always: Sunset on Third Street at AllMovie
- "ALWAYS 三丁目の夕日(2005)" (in Japanese). www.allcinema.net. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "ΑLWΑYS 三丁目の夕日" (in Japanese). Variety Japan. Archived from the original on 31 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-16.