This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Traded as||OTC Pink Current: TVTV|
|Founded||July 16, 2006 |
(as WhereverTV, Inc.)
|The world|
|Edward D. Ciofani (Chairman & CEO)|
|Products||Internet television, Pay television, Pay-per-view|
WhereverTV is an Over the Top (OTT) internet television platform provider located in Fort Myers, Florida focused on delivering linear television programming to SmartTVs and digital media receivers, and tablets via the public Internet.
The company has been providing access to free live streaming TV channels on the internet since 2007 through its Global Interactive Program Guide (officially trademarked as Global IPG) internet TV software, allowing registered users to watch TV online. In 2011, the company began selling subscription services for live television from Morocco and Greece. In 2013, it began selling Arabic TV subscriptions. WhereverTV announced plans to launch two additional services for 2013: a software application aimed at managing US and international channels to portable and stationary internet connected devices, and a traditional US based subscription service.
WhereverTV has since evolved into an alternative to fixed location subscription services such as those offered by cable companies and satellite television providers. Subscribers are able to personalize their viewing choices, subscription services and watch from any location that has Internet access. The company provides both wireless television and hard wired accessibility to TV on internet.
WhereverTV's core business is subscription-based, internet television services. The Company's content packages are similar to traditional cable and satellite companies. Viewers can choose from a series of service bundles, paying more money for more channels. A la carte programming is available for in-language programming, including Greek and Arabic television channels.
Free TV Online Internet Television
WhereverTV provides access to free streaming live internet TV channels. Registered users of the Company's GlobalTV service can watch online television for free.
The concept for what was to become WhereverTV was created by Mark Cavicchia while he was living in Shanghai, China after becoming frustrated with the complexities of trying to stream the 2005 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship tournament live on AOL by connecting his laptop to a big-screen television. He vowed to create an easy to use, portable channel guide that would work across devices and geographies and allow users to organize and watch TV online anywhere in the world. Upon returning to the United States in 2006, he wrote the patent application for WhereverTV's core technology - the Global Interactive Program Guide.
The WhereverTV Receiver
To promote its Global Interactive Program Guide concept, the Company wrote its own firmware to run on the popular, open-source Neuros OSD hardware that was white-labeled and renamed The WhereverTV Receiver. The first public demonstration of the WherverTV Receiver was made on 9 July 2008 at the Consumer Electronics Association's 2008 SINOCES trade show in Qingdao, China. Subsequently, the WhereverTV Receiver debuted at the 2009 International CES trade show in Las Vegas, Nevada, where it was covered by media outlets around the world, including the US, Poland, Israel, Brazil and the Middle East.
WhereverTV was named to 2010 Always-on's On-Media 100, the Top 100 Private Companies that are pioneering the next generation advertising and marketing Internet services. The WhereverTV Receiver was named one of the 30 Most Innovative Products at the 2009 Consumer Electronics Show. WhereverTV's CEO was also invited to testify at a Federal Communications Commission hearing on Broadband and the Digital Future.
- Rebecca Hawkes (15 May 2013). "WhereverTV launches OTT Arabic TV for Europe, Americas". RapidTV News.
- Malia Spencer (23 April 2013). "WhereverTV now on Apple". Pittsburgh Business Times.
- Chris Ziegler (7 September 2007). "WhereverTV Wants 1,200 Channel Piece of the Mobile TV Pie". Engadget. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Beth Murtaugh (19 January 2009). "Startup WhereverTV captures buzz at Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show". Pittsburgh Business Times.
- Debra Smit (7 May 2008). "WhereverTV offers international programs wherever you go". Pop City Media. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- Liane Cassovoy (31 October 2008). "The World Is Enough with WhereverTV". GigaOM. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Sohu Digital (9 July 2008). "看遍天下电视 WhereverTV机顶盒国内前途未卜". sohu.com. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Dena Li (9 July 2008). "SINOCES第一款新品亮相：Wherever TV". HC360.com. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Jonathan B. Spira (July 2011). "Internet TV Almost Ready for Prime Time". IEEE Spectrum Magazine. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Agnieszka Serafinowicz (6 January 2009). "CES 2009 - WhereverTV, ulubione kanały gdziekolwiek jesteś". pcformat.pl. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- Didi Chanoch (8 August 2008). "גאדג'ט היום: Wherever TV". walla.co.il. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Ethevaldo Siqueira (9 January 2009). "A incrível diversidade da eletrônica digital". observatoriodaimprensa.com.br. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Arab News (20 January 2010). "Cool Tools". arabnews.com. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "The OnMedia Top 100 Companies". aonetwork.com. 17 December 2010. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "30 Days of Innovation". cesweb.org. Archived from the original on January 5, 2009. Retrieved 6 February 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Declan McCullaugh (22 July 2008). "At FCC broadband hearing, speeches but no consensus". C-NET. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Freeman, Deon. "Reporter / Writer". wTVPC. Retrieved May 1, 2015.