Wikipedia:Meetup/Pittsburgh Wikipedia Redd-up-a-thon
WHO: We invite anyone from the Pittsburgh region.
WHAT:This Edit-a-thon series will focus on improving and creating pages related to the City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, its history, politics, locations, and personalities. A workshop will be held: for beginners, including an introductory tutorial on editing Wikipedia pages including adding references, copyediting, and general improvements (get the slides for the beginner tutorial).
- November 4, 2017, visit us at a table on using historic Pittsburgh library resources on Wikipedia as part of the Historic Pittsburgh Fair (part of Open Access Week 2017). Table presenters will be live-editing pages based on the list below and encouraging visitors to learn about Wikipedia editing.
- February 24th, 2017, from 1:00 to 3:00 PM, at the Digital Scholarship Commons, Hillman Library, University of Pittsburgh.
- November 2, 2016, from 5:00 to 7:00 PM (part of Open Access Week 2016).
IMPORTANT: Please RSVP by adding your name to the list below. Potential participants are also strongly encouraged to create an account prior to the event.
AFTER THE EVENT: Please let us know which pages you edit and help us report back about the event! Take the survey here.
- The Twentieth Century Club
- The Pittsburgh Black Theatre Dance Ensemble
- Vernell A. Lillie
- Academy of Music (also known as Harry Williams' Academy of Music)
- Allegheny Theater (also known as Hazlett Theater within the Carnegie Free Library of Allegheny)
- Alumni Theatre Company (current)
- Alvin Theatre (Pittsburgh)
- Allegheny Repertory Theatre
- American Ibsen Theatre
- Liberty Minstrel (song)
- Little Know Ye Who's Coming (song)
- Old Marse John (song)
- Soy Escalvo de Jesus (song)
- Por ser mi divina luz (song)
- Down the Coast of La Barbadee (song)
- Ol' Man Satan (song)
- Old Black Mammy's Lullaby (song)
- The Desponding Negro (song)
- No More Auction Block For Me (song)
- Historic Pittsburgh Collection
- Tanacharison -referencing issues
- Joseph Coulon de Jumonville - referencing issues
- Regional Trail Corporation
- Friends of the Riverfront
- Kennywood's open (idiom)
- Allegheny Trail Alliance
- Redd-up (idiom)
- Pinkerton Trestles and Tunnel
- Historic Dravo Cemetery
- The Point Made -project name of the Great Allegheny Trail
- Charles Harris (photographer) - needs a redirect from Teenie, the very short article does not adequately cover this Pittsburgh photographer
- Pittsburgh trollies
- Timeline of Pittsburgh - very incomplete
- Senecas in Western Pennsylvania
- South Park (Pittsburgh) - stubish, needs a page move and more images
- Lincoln Place (Pittsburgh) - stubish
- Kanuksusy - beginner, needs additional citations
- Bridges of Pittsburgh - beginner, needs additional citations and coordinates
- The Ghost Bomber of the Monongahela River
- Queen Aliquippa - needs references
- Quecreek Mine rescue - good starter article, needs reference cleanup and in-line citations
- Frick Art & Historical Center - intermediate, additional references; update about 2013 renovation project
- Hugh Henry Brackenridge - references in Historic Pittsburgh
- Mrs. J.O. Miller
- Jane Swisshelm - an interesting reference in Historic Pittsburgh
- Western Pennsylvania English - ? says lists should be turned to prose, I disagree - perhaps just remove the flag?
- Baltimore and Ohio Short Line Railroad - advanced, very short article, could use more content. Lots of information in Historic Pittsburgh http://www.historicpittsburgh.org/
- Calliope: Pittsburgh Folk Music Society - advanced, needs to be expanded
- Allegheny Land Trust - stub
- Carnegie Mellon University Press - stub
- Dirty Dozen (bicycle competition) - stub
- Duquesne University Tamburitzans - stub
- Rich Fitzgerald - stub
- Jeff Jimerson - stub
- National Negro Opera Company - intermediate, needs citations and content
- Rachel Carson Trail - stub
- Smog museum; not a joke but a place in Monongehela
- William Barclay Foster, Jr.
- Mellon family - beginner (tone, editing)
- West View Park - beginner (citations, editing)
- University of Pittsburgh Law Review - needs secondary sources
- Presley Neville - stub
- Liberty Bridge (Pittsburgh) - stub
- Luna Park, Pittsburgh - coroner report about a lion getting loose? news article?
- Thomas J. Quigley - there are some references to this individual in the Historic Pittsburgh collection.
- Chiodo's Tavern; lots of refs: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=chiodos+tavern
- Rails to Trails - citations needed
- Blue sandstone; type of brick that used to cover the streets of Pittsurgh
- Ohiopyle train station; used to be the happenin' place
- Saint Patrick's Day Flood
- Journal of World-Systems Research - expand references
- Jackie Smith (sociologist) - citations needed
- Carnegie Lecture Hall
- Joe DeNardo - references needed
- Venture Outdoors
- Trundle Manor
Note that these are suggestions of pages that need some cleanup or expansion. Feel free to target any pages that are of interest to you.
Open Resources Available
- Historic Pittsburgh
- Pittsburgh Speech and Society
- Documenting Pitt
- Pittsburgh and Beyond - The Experience of the Jewish Community
- Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania Labor Legacy
- Pitt Law Review
- Pittsburgh Journal of Environmental and Public Health Law
- Pittsburgh Journal of Technology, Law, and Policy
- Pittsburgh Tax Review
- Darlington Digital Collection - useful resources for Pittsburgh's colonization through the 19th century.
- Western Pennsylvania History - publication of the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania and the Senator John Heinz History Center
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) and the Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) - surveys and photos of architecture, bridges and other structures
- Get the slides for the beginner workshop in Google Drive
- Here is a short tutorial for getting started editing Wikipedia
- Wikipedia:Citing sources
- Wikipedia:Citation templates
- Wiki markup quick reference (PDF)
- Editing Articles About Living Persons
- Wikipedia:WikiProject_Pittsburgh - the Pittsburgh Wikipedia editing portal gives sources and ideas for Pittsburgh-specific topics
- Wikipedia citation auto formating at OttoBib
Visitors from November 4, 2017
Did you visit our table at the Historic Pittsburgh Fair on November 4, 2017? If so, leave your signature here!
RSVP List: February 24, 2017
RSVP List: 2016 November 2, 2016
- Barbara (WVS) (talk) 02:24, 10 June 2016 (UTC)
- Great news! One librarian and two English faculty from Community College of Allegheny County are coming to the Redd-up-a-thon with me. I told them that there were going to be buttons.
- TheLeaper (talk) 15:58, 10 June 2016 (UTC)
- FrindleandInk (talk)
- Chris Troutman (talk) 19:06, 20 September 2016 (UTC)
- Staci R. 16:34, 20 October 2016 (UTC)
- Becky P.
- Rosta Farzan
- Midnightdreary (talk) 11:51, 2 November 2016 (UTC) -- Will be participating remotely from home, likely on the Jane Swisshelm article
- Barkchip (talk) 15:20, 2 November 2016 (UTC)
- Vanessa Gabler