Wikipedia:Reference desk/Archives/Entertainment/2007 May 18
|< May 17||<< Apr | May | Jun >>||May 19 >|
|Welcome to the Wikipedia Entertainment Reference Desk Archives|
|The page you are currently viewing is an archive page. While you can leave answers for any questions shown below, please ask new questions on one of the current reference desk pages.|
Who is "Sherry"
Does anyone know who inspired the song Sherry? Written by Bob Gaudia of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Someone I know claims it was about their Mother. Any one know if it was a song inspired by a real person? If so, is there any description of this person known?
- That likely comes from the Broadway play, which very loosely based on fact. The song was initially titled "Terry" - as a filler. In rehersal, it was changed to "Peri" because it sounded better than "Terry". The producer suggested "Jackie" in reference to Jackie Kennedy, but it sounded poor. Jack Spector suggested "Cheri", his daughter's name. That was changed to an easier-to-sing "Sherry". see here --Kainaw (talk) 13:40, 18 May 2007 (UTC)
- Actually, there is no such claim in the play. Corvus cornix 20:42, 18 May 2007 (UTC)
Thankyou very much-I will continue to use this very helpful site!
Is it likely that sooner or later Rap will be banned and or controled by the FCC?--Otaku125956573 17:01, 18 May 2007 (UTC)
- I suspect not. Rap is merely music and whilst there is pressure to 'ban' music that glorifies violence you would be hard pushed to do that in any meaningful way without banning film/books/tv/speeches that do the same. I would look at the wide variety of rap music styles a little closer. They can range from promoting respectable behaviour, through stories about love/heartache all the way towards 'gangsta' rap. As Arrested Development once sang..."Here have a dollar, infact nah brother man here have two, two dollars means a snack to me but it means a big deal to you". Or maybe Jay-Z with "I came I saw I conquered, gold record sales, sold out concerts". Anywhere that can work veni, vidi, vici by Caesar into a rap song shows (to me at least) that rap is much more expressive and intelligent than many of the public give it credit for. ny156uk 17:08, 18 May 2007 (UTC)
- To add to ny156uk's comments, the FCC has no authority to regulate rap or any other form of music. According to the FCC article the agency "...is charged with regulating all non-Federal Government use of the radio spectrum (including radio and television broadcasting), and all interstate telecommunications (wire, satellite and cable) as well as all international communications that originate or terminate in the United States." Barring a broad extension of the FCC's powers, which IMHO would be doubleplusungood, it is quite unlikely they will be banning any form of music. 188.8.131.52 22:39, 18 May 2007 (UTC)
- They certainly could ban music encouraging violence from being broadcast by radio, however. It also wouldn't be unreasonable for the FCC to ban such satellite transmissions. Banning Internet and especially music store sales, on the other hand, would be well beyond their mandate. StuRat 01:57, 19 May 2007 (UTC)
Song "two people touching...
looking for a song sounds similair to love moments by Justin Robertson but the lyrics as far as i can remember a
"two people kissing me then kissing each other."
it oncew played on Fashion TV
its kinda ambient electronica. pretty obscure song would be happy if anyone gets it! 184.108.40.206 18:18, 17 May 2007 (UTC)
- Sounds like it's "2 People" by Jean Jacques Smoothie. The lyrics are "Two people, just meeting/barely touching each other". — Matt Eason (Talk • Contribs) 11:41, 19 May 2007 (UTC)
Insurance and charities
If no one did any charity telethons to raise money for the victims of the 2007 Solomon Islands earthquake and the Greensburg tornado, what does insurance have to do with the telethons? Aren't goods and services donated for those types of things?220.127.116.11 21:22, 18 May 2007 (UTC)
- I don't think insurance has anything to do with telethons directly. At the same time I am not sure what you are asking. Can you provide some context? 18.104.22.168 00:16, 19 May 2007 (UTC)